iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Venison neck roast

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 12, 2015, 11:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

One of the hardest parts of a deer to de-bone is the neck. Plus it has a lot of sinews and such and the small pieces are hard to grind and too small to cube so I was happy yesterday when I went to cut up a nice young spike I had left cooling overnight when my wife told me she was craving a roast and for me to bring her the deer's neck.

I went out and cut the neck off and brought it back in. She browned it in a big cast iron Dutch oven, added a large can of cream of mushroom soup (a little over a pint I'd guess), one medium onion, 2-3 Irish potatoes cut into about 2" chunks, 2-3 medium carrots cut in half crossways, and one large sweet potato cut in about 2" chunks. She covered and put it all in the oven on about 350 degrees while I boned out the rest of the deer then about the time I was done we had it for dinner. When you cook them that way by the time the veggies are done the meat is falling off the bone.

That's the easiest way to de-bone a deer neck - with a fork.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Weekend_Sawyer

We will take a young deer neck and put it in a pot of water on the wood stove at lunch time, by dinner time you can pull it apart with a fork.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

drobertson

Well this is all I needed to hear on this fall evening,, thanks for the recipe idea!  This takes absolutely no imagination to figure how good this has to have been,,  chasing the whitetails here as well, son in law got busted by two does this morning, while I battled fuzzy tails in the white oak ;D 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I like any venison roast with lots of taters, carrots, onions, and lots of cabbage thrown in the pot with it.

Makes me hungry just to think about it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Chuck,

Have you tried adding sweet potato? They are good in there too. Most any veggie I think can be thrown in. I have even added brussel sprouts. Haven't tried them but I bet turnip roots or rutabaga would even be good there. It is sure a lot easier to cook and remove the meat than cutting the meat off the bone raw.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Y'all keep adding stuff and you will have a whole meal in dat pot.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

That's the idea. I am fine eating leftovers for 3-4 days then cook another big pot of something else. I tell my wife, who doesn't like leftovers once let alone all week, "It's in our body chemistry. Men were hunters and hunting was dangerous work so when we made a kill we'd gorge ourselves on it for days at a time till it was gone before going out and putting our lives on the line to make another kill. Women were gatherers and would collect nuts in the morning then pick berries at noon and dig roots in the evening so they got used to diversity."

You should see me when I make a pot of my "super soup". No reason to even start unless I have at least a 5 gallon pot.
Howard Green

pappy19

I haven't done it in a while, but I used to boil elk necks until the meat came off the bone and then made minced-meat out of it for real minced-meat pies. Nothing as good IMHO and has a different taste than just plain old minced-meat from a jar.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

WV Sawmiller

Pappy,

Sounds real good although I don't ever remember eating a minced meat pie. Do you have a good recipe for making them? Thanks.
Howard Green

Corley5

Grandma Jean, Mom's Mom, used to make real mince meat pies.  They were very good  :)
  Adding ingredients to the soup reminds of the story "Stone Soup"  ;) ;D :)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Soup
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

petefrom bearswamp

I take deer necks, bucks only due to bulk and make corned meat.
It is simple to do and i can post the recipe if anyone is interested.
make good boiled dinner fare.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

I have corned deer the last 2 years. I use meat off the hams. Brine it in a clean plastic bucket with a heavy China plate on top to keep all the meat under water. We like it as a main meal but even better as sandwich meat.
Howard Green

petefrom bearswamp

I did use front shoulder meat a few years ago but as we dont eat a lot of corned meat, i now do just the neck, usually in 2 or 3 pieces as there is just the 2 of us.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

69bronco

I've been looking for a good and simple corned venison recipe Peter. Could you post yours, thanks.

WV Sawmiller

69 B,

Here is the one I use. It works fine. I was able to get everything at local grocery store except sodium nitrite and got it on line with no problem. (I double and triple the recipe and do 10-15 lbs of deer meat at a time.)

1/2 gallon water
1 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 ounce Instacure No. 1 (sodium nitrite)
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon toasted coriander seeds
12 bay leaves, crushed
1 tablespoon red pepper f lakes
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 cinnamon stick
6 cloves
5-6 chopped garlic cloves
A 3-5 pound venison roast

1. Add everything but the roast to a pot and bring it to a boil. Turn off the heat and cover, then let it cool to room temperature while covered. This will take a few hours.
2. Meanwhile, trim any silverskin you find off the roast. Leave the fat.
3. Once the brine is cool, find a container just about large enough to hold the roast, place the meat inside and cover with the brine. You might have extra, which you can discard. (I use a clean 5 gallon plastic bucket for the container).
4. Make sure the roast is completely submerged in the brine; I use a clean stone to weigh the meat down. (Instead of a rock I use a heavy stoneware plate that fits tightly in the 5 gallon bucket) Cover and put in the fridge for 5-7 days, depending on the roast's size. A 2-pound roast might only need 3 days. The longer you soak, the saltier it will get — but you want the salt and nitrate to work its way to the center of the roast, and that takes time. Err on extra days, not fewer days.
5. After the week has passed, you have corned venison. To cook and eat, rinse off the meat, then put the roast in a pot just large enough to hold it and cover with fresh water. You don't want too large a pot or the fresh water will leach out too much flavor from the salty meat — it's an osmosis thing.
6. Cover and simmer — don't boil — the meat for 3-5 hours.
7. Eat hot or cold. It is absolutely fantastic with good mustard and some sauerkraut on a sandwich.
Howard Green

69bronco

Thanks WV, that looks like a keeper!

petefrom bearswamp

Mine has a lot less condiments and uses raw meat.
6 lbs meat (or so, i always make at least 2 good sized buck necks cut in a couple of chunks and adjust the ingredients accordingly)
1 cup salt
6TBSP pickling spices
2TBSP saltpeter
1tsp sugar
2-3 large onions quartered or 12 cloves garlic. I have used both.
1 qt h20

place in a vessel (not aluminum, I use a plastic 5 gal pail)mix ingredients and add to meat adding enough water to cover meat.
use a stone to hold meat down if necessary.
cover and Place in a cool place and turn every day for 10 days.
reserve a little of the liquid to use in cooking.
I eat fresh or freeze for later good eatin'
I cook in a crock pot on low all day and then add cabbage potato and a few other veggies.
saltpeter made be hard to come by as it is a main ingredient in black powder.
Im taking my last one to deer camp for a boiled dinner this week.

Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

PS I plan to try wv's recipe too.
I misread and thought he cooked the meat before corning, my method is all cold.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

Do you de-bone the neck? If not and that works I may try corning some bone in. I just hate to de-bone a raw deer neck. That is why I make them into roasts. The meat is much easier to remove once cooked.

(I agree the condiment list is probably excessive - it is just one I found and used successfully. I think it makes better sandwiches than as a main course.)
Howard Green

petefrom bearswamp

I dont debone and after a day in the crock pot the meat falls off the bones.
Had on sat evening delicious, 4 of us and all gone.
This was 1/2 of a neck.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

Thx. I will try corning some necks with the bone in. Actually could freeze then then when have several do them all at one time. Corning can be a good use for old roasts that have been in the freezer a while.
Howard Green

69bronco

Have you guys tried using a brine pump?

WV Sawmiller

Never heard of one before. Current system is real low tech. I might turn the meat when corning a batch 1-2 times during the week it is in the reefer downstairs so not a lot of time or effort involved. If I were doing a lot a brine pump might help cure it more uniformly and faster but I don't do but 15-25 lbs a year.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!