iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping Containers

Started by edkemper, October 11, 2015, 08:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edkemper

I need some storage so I can move as much of the "stuff," Tools, supplies, equipment and such so I cn get my house for sale and move out onto my property.

I'm thinking of a couple of 20'er so I can put them next to each other. Build a "roof between and a Patio roof off both ends to park my equipment under roof. Store my stuff inside and have my stuff mostly safe from the weather.

Any advise on buying them? I note plenty of places advertising on Craigslist but they all want heavy money ($2500-3000 each) and then shipping on top of that. Any advise or suggestion on where and how to save a few bucks.

Eventually I'll convert one to a lumber dryer and possibly the other will be buried and used for a root cellar.

I have the equipment to haul them myself.

Thanks in advance.
Old Man

Larry

Around here the sellers were pretty competitive and the price didn't vary much.

The aluminum containers were a lot cheaper because they are so easy to break in to.

A lot of containers I looked at had doors that didn't seal right and it would have been a chore to fix them.  I bought local so I could look it over good before spending $$$'s.  Cuts and holes are an easy fix.

I bought a 48' X 102" high cube aluminum.  The corners sit on 12" concrete filled sona tubes.  One corner is up 3' or so...jacked it up with a hydraulic jack and used cribbing.  Put three skylights in for lighting.  I've had it about 7 years and one of my better ideas.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sawguy21

Those that don't pass inspection for marine shipment go pretty cheap here but they tend to be in poor shape from rust. Loading, shipping, and unloading are the major costs.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ljohnsaw

Was coming back from the Bay Area (S.F.) to Sacramento and saw two different trucks (pickups) hauling a 40' on a goose-neck flatbed.  Looked a little sketchy.  They just had a chain through the end holes (where they would fit on a normal semi frame) and down the side of the flatbed.  What do the steel ones weigh?  Out here, the 40's are about $2,800 and the 20's are $2,400.  I wanted a 20' but that was too much.  So I just picked up an old 14'x8'x8' cargo box for $400.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

edkemper

The 20s are just over 5,000#. The 40s are just over 8,000# if I remember correctly.
Old Man

WV Sawmiller

Ed,

Good luck finding them. They are great and we used the design you mention in camps we built in Iraq and Afghanistan only we normally used 40' containers. Just level and attach trusses across the top and a roof (sometimes we just used camo nets for shade but not weather proof) and they made a great work area.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

StimW

I bought a 48'er on CL for $1500. from a company that no longer needed it. It cost me $450. to have it moved 50 miles to my new property.
I used it to store my tractor and other stuff in it until I got my 40' X 60' "I"Beam building put up in May. It will still be useful for storage.
The good thing about 20'ers is that a Roll-back Wrecker can move them which will be cheaper than a Landall/flatbed.
Around here they all seem to be using the same price list!
There is a glut in the market (it cost more to send back empty than it's worth) but I think they just take their cost and multiply it by 3 or 4.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Raider Bill

In 07 I bought a 40' with doors on both ends. I believe it was $1250.00 delivered about 30 miles.
I'm very happy with it. Lined 1 side with metal shelving I've picked up along the way. Holds a lot of junk ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

coxy

about the same price here to     our town law says we cant have them ;D

Ford_man

Look the roof over good if it has a dent in the roof it will rust through and leak. It is very hard to push the dent out ,I used 2 10 ton portapowers to straighten mine then used bondo to seal it up.

florida

Down here in rainy, wet, south Florida the roofs have rusted out on every one I've owned. The humidity inside is pretty terrible too.  I got an old reefer semi-trailer for $100.00 that was amazing. Stayed cool and comfortable all year.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

rambrush

We just bought a 20 footer and had the option of a 1 tripper which means it makes the single trip across the pond, This results in very little rust great door seals and no odor. There were others to choose from but had severe rust and stunk inside. So there are options out there and not just a rust bucket.

Magicman

You have been hiding rambrush.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum.    ;D

Adding your location and wood/sawing/lumber interest to your profile is appreciated and helpful.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TimRB

Quote from: edkemper on October 11, 2015, 08:27:58 PM
Eventually I'll convert one to a lumber dryer and possibly the other will be buried and used for a root cellar.

Don't even think about burying one of those things.  I have seen one that has been simply covered with dirt and not fully buried--it is rusting into dust.  The wooden floor has been replaced several times, and the roof needed to be braced because the additional weight of about a foot-deep layer of dirt was causing it to cave in.  Conex containers are designed to take loads at the corners vertically--if you apply loads anyplace else you are asking for trouble.

Tim

edkemper

Interesting. Probably one of the most talked about uses for them is to bury them. Preppers are all over them for hidden bunkers.

I guess I'll have to rethink my plans.
Old Man

edkemper

Just did a bit of a search on the subject. WOW! Thank you.

Now the next discussion, how can I camouflage a shipping container above ground? There have got to be plants and such that would hide it and the plants could be useful and perhaps productive.

I'd still like to make it a root cellar type place if I can.

This went in a direction I never expected but am glad it came up.
Old Man

Magicman

"C-Cans" are the only thing that we have found that are lockable enough that have not been broken into......yet.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: edkemper on October 15, 2015, 03:31:07 PM
Just did a bit of a search on the subject. WOW! Thank you.

Now the next discussion, how can I camouflage a shipping container above ground? There have got to be plants and such that would hide it and the plants could be useful and perhaps productive.

This went in a direction I never expected but am glad it came up.

Post a pix of the area you are putting it in so we can give you some ideas. GPS cord's too :D

I camouflaged a house in the city isn't hard and I'm not a painter.

Started doing my shipping container on the Billarosa but only got the base color on so far. A guy gave me several "empty" 55 gallon drums that had 5 or so gallons of dark green paint each left in they use to paint transformers with. Nasty stuff. I'm waiting for them to start using either gray or brown for my next coat. ;)

Raider Bill

Check out my broken TV antenna. It still get's 32 stations   :)

rambrush

Guilty as charged! Been lurking for awhile now. Profile is being updated.

Quote from: Magicman on October 15, 2015, 12:33:43 PM
You have been hiding rambrush.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum.    ;D

Adding your location and wood/sawing/lumber interest to your profile is appreciated and helpful.   :)

TimRB

Quote from: edkemper on October 15, 2015, 03:31:07 PM

I have two twenty-footers.  They are under trees, but get a bit of sun and they still get pretty toasty inside in the summer.  No doubt you could do better if you found a breezy spot in full shade or built a cover, but I would consider a purpose-built root cellar before trying to make a conex into one.

Tim

Magicman

Now that you have been flushed out rambrush, you will be obliged to share some of your interests.   ;D

edkemper

Quote from: Magicman on October 15, 2015, 04:12:49 PM
"C-Cans" are the only thing that we have found that are lockable enough that have not been broken into......yet.   :-\

I've been looking into security. This seems the most hopeful:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00558MBHC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1MNIPEBJTPFWL&coliid=I3SO8DXAUTYRRV
Old Man

Magicman

That is a new one on me.  I use the round padlocks.

I have used a battery side grinder and cut many of the round padlocks off for "storage wars auctions".  They are bad but still can be cut off.  I just hope that our local crooks/burglars don't get side grinders.

21incher

I don't think that it would cost much more if you used blocks and a prestressed slab to build a root cellar. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the roof falling in.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!