iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cover up scents

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 10, 2015, 10:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Elsewhere on this thread someone suggested Nomad spray his hat with cover up scent (Dead down Wind was suggested) with the comment if deer can't smell it Nomad's wife should not be able to smell his treasured hat any more.

In my most recent Field and Stream (listed as Adventure Issue - the October issue) there is a good read on page 22 (The Sniff Test) where someone used a trained police department German Shepherd K9 to test the effectiveness of cover up scents and laid various trails with and without scents and timed how quickly the pooch found the "hunter". They also said a deer's sense of smell is much more acute than a dog. The bottom line was the dog followed the trail and found the "hunter" just about as quickly with as without the cover up spray. Its a good read and I'd suggest you check it out before you spend too much money on your favorite deer cover up spray. You might be better served spending that cash elsewhere.

Food for thought. No doubt some of you will swear the scents are directly responsible for your success and would never enter the woods with out using them. Others of us will stick with our lucky shirts, socks and skivvies.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Cover scents do one thing very well.  They separate some hunters from their money.   ;D

Maybe you can fool their eyes, maybe you can fool their ears, but you can not fool their noses.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

~Ron

coxy

I like when some use apple scent when there is no apple trees with in 3 miles  :D :D :D

gspren

I remember reading (long ago) in a hunting story by Peter Hathaway Capstick that he didn't mind his hunters smoking because if the game smelled the smoke they were going to smell the hunter anyway, only sure thing is to be down wind.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Farmerjw

Back in the '70's I knew an old guy that was overweight and would climb in his stand in the morning and stay there all day.  He smoked in his stand, peed over the side, and killed many deer (should say, "poached many deer"). 
Premier Bovine Scatologist

BradMarks

Deer and elk seem to like burned areas.  Smelling like campfire smoke seems natural enough and not offensive. No extra money there ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I am a firm believer, rubbing diesel fuel on your clothing to hide your scent is way better than these stow bought scents you buy.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 13, 2015, 08:13:10 PMI am a firm believer, rubbing diesel fuel on your clothing to hide your scent is way better than these stow bought scents you buy.
You get your Diesel for free?   ???

I gotta buy mine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 13, 2015, 08:13:10 PM
I am a firm believer, rubbing diesel fuel on your clothing to hide your scent is way better than these stow bought scents you buy.

Posty - I take it you are a vegetarian. (Vegetarian - old Indian word for "Poor hunter.")
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

We've found that if you travel your land frequently, the deer know your scent and it is not quite so alarming to them.   ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

Quote from: Chuck White on October 14, 2015, 05:30:34 PM
We've found that if you travel your land frequently, the deer know your scent and it is not quite so alarming to them.   ;)
x2

thecfarm

I do not hunt,but I see more deer on my tractor than walking.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

Quote from: thecfarm on October 14, 2015, 07:11:02 PM
I do not hunt,but I see more deer on my tractor than walking.

Take the keys out of the tractor and the deer will start walking again. :D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

gspren, now that would be animal abuse, poor deer have to start walking again  :'(.

rooster 58

Hey wv sawmiller
     How often do you wash those " lucky clothes "? Lol

WV Sawmiller

Rooster,

Quote from: rooster 58 on October 16, 2015, 06:48:08 AM
Hey wv sawmiller
     How often do you wash those " lucky clothes "? Lol

I can't be giving away all my trade secrets. Then everybody would be as lucky as I am and we wouldn't have enough game to hunt.
Howard Green

E fan

theres a hunting gimmick in every hunters pouch ( mine is no exception ) but I do collect my cedar saw dust and store my clothing in with it  ;D

Magicman

My hunting clothes hang in here.

ERC flooring, shelves, & ceiling.  Not for cover, but because Cedar was what I had, plus it smells good.   :)

sandhills

I wear mine  ;D.  Just kidding, but the only hunting clothes I have I wear on a daily basis, other than the orange, wind and how you use it seems to make a lot of difference to me.

Thank You Sponsors!