Sponsors:

bolts-rivets-circlesaw

Started by coxy, October 10, 2015, 08:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

is there a g10 bolt if so how do you tell

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gspren

The simple way to tell what grade a bolt is would be to count the little hash marks and add 2. No marks = grade 2, 3 marks = grade 5, etc. Normally you wont find anything higher than grade 8 at a hardware store and stainless is not as strong as a grade 8. Higher grade specialty bolts can be had but not easily.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

coxy

how do some of you change the carbide teeth on them as in what do you have to take the rivet out and could you post a pic of it please this is on a wood processer   thanks

MikeZ

If you really need very hard bolts, might try Cat dealer. The gravel pit I used to work at we a bin of bolts with 8 & 10 lines. HARD suckers!
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

No.

SAE goes up to grade 8. The metric equivalent is 10.9 (which may give the impression that there is a grade 10 bolt.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

JB Griffin

A grade 8 bolt is the hardest easily available bolt around, the only thing I know of that is harder is a Cat bolt and they is spendy.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

sawguy21

What is the application? I am wondering what you are doing to fail a grade 8.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gspren

Hardness is not the same as strength, a track bolt may be extra hard to prevent wear but not have the tensile strength of a quality heat treated GR8.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

coxy

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 11, 2015, 12:49:56 PM
What is the application? I am wondering what you are doing to fail a grade 8.
trying to make a rivet pusher for a circle saw blade to get the teeth out a gr8 bolt when turned down to the size of the rivet  bends making it walk side ways thought a gr10 would be better

21incher

How about if you put a countersink in the end of your grade 8 plunger and used a hardened ball bearing ball to do the pushing.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Stuart Caruk

The problem is that you are turning the bolt down. If it's a manual lathe you're using, you're likely getting hot enough to take the heat treat out of the material, making it softer.

You would be far better off using a hunk of accraloy, 4140, 8620 or such and machining the pin (as short as possible to do the job). Heating it cherry red and dropping it in some used motor oil.

Hard is all relative also. As you go harder, you will get brittler and then while you won't bend as easily the pusher will shatter and send shards all over the place... bending is sometimes a good thing.

If you were local I'd tell you to swing by and grab soem stock. I've got literally tons of remnants kicking around that would work.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Larry

Grade 8 isn't all that hard.  I've turned them in my lathe using HSS tooling if that tells you anything.  I keep O-1 drill rod on hand in most diameters up to 1" for just those kind of things.  O-1 is easy to work and harden.  Heat to cherry red and quench in canola oil.  Temper in a toaster oven.  One hour at 400 degrees would work.  If not tempered it will crack.

You can get it online from Enco.  If not in a hurry sign up for there email and wait for a free shipping day with no minimum.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

coxy

Quote from: 21incher on October 11, 2015, 06:30:47 PM
How about if you put a countersink in the end of your grade 8 plunger and used a hardened ball bearing ball to do the pushing.
how could I keep the ball from falling out     thanks for the help guys

coxy

how do some of you remove the rivets that hold the teeth on a circle saw blade  any pics of the tool would be great to    thanks

North River Energy

^
Rather than a ball bearing, try the shank end of a worn out HSS drill bit. Glue it in with super glue or Loctite/Permatex bearing sleeve retainer (the Green Magic).

bandmiller2

Coxy, I don't think I've ever seen teeth held in by rivets, I have seen saws with friction fit cylinders holding teeth in. Could you show us a picture of the saw and teeth in question.?? Most rivets can be punched out if the piece is supported well. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

coxy

yes it is a 40in blade on a wood processer with 30 teeth       thanks beenthere

21incher

Quote from: coxy on October 12, 2015, 05:44:47 AM
Quote from: 21incher on October 11, 2015, 06:30:47 PM
how could I keep the ball from falling out     thanks for the help guys

I would turn the punch and then select a slightly smaller  bearing. Drill a hole the size of the bearing a little over 1/2 the diameter of the bearing deep. Insert the ball and swage it in place. The drill piont will take all the pressure. Sometimes a 1 point contact will alliow the punch to spin instead of adding a side load that will cause it to deform..
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

coxy

Quote from: beenthere on October 12, 2015, 09:19:23 AM
Maybe use this tool to do that.

http://www.simondsint.com/circularsaws/Pages/Items/30326.aspx
we have the same tool the trouble is where the bolt is turned down for pushing the rivet it will bend letting the point walk off the rivet

Thank You Sponsors!