iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch line twist

Started by ga jones, October 09, 2015, 09:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ga jones

can anyone tell me how to get this twist out??! I've been stretching it every night with no luck.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

lopet

Can't really tell you how to fix it, but I know how you did it.  ;D

Oh, chopping 10 or 12 feet of, but that might not be a option.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

ga jones

It happened on one trip. I guess I routed it wrong??
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

so il logger

Is it a new line? If so I wouldn't buy anymore of it  :D I have that problem when the main line get's short, seems like the cable develops a memory from being coiled so much. May not be your case at all

treeslayer2003

its wound on the wrong way. yes i know it sounds stupid. if you can take it off and put back on back wards i bet it will straighten right out. in other words, use the choker end now as the drum anchor. it has to do with the twist when it was made.

Spartan

Lay it across one of your big stumps and beat it straight with a large hammer (sledge) and a whole lot of grunt.  See if that helps.  Works on chokers.

mills

Quote from: ga jones on October 09, 2015, 10:06:45 PM
It happened on one trip. I guess I routed it wrong??
I feel your pain. My cable looks just like your's. It's about a year old and did great until I hooked up two big logs that were several feet apart. I've screwed up like this before with other cables, but they straightened out after a couple dozen pulls. Not this time. Even pulled hard enough the other day to break a fairly new choker, but I still have a ten foot section that looks like a pig tail. I haven't yet left it under tension over night.

jd540b

Stretch it.  Run the cable all the way out attached to the base of a big tree.  Winch it in with your e-brake on a turn or two until your front tires are about to lift off the ground.  Leave it like that overnight. That will help alot.

teakwood

Mine looks the same! I didnt have much luck ether with stretching them. I just live with it ???
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

grassfed

Look at this page and double check to make sure it is wound correctly. http://www.stren-flex.com/wire-rope-handling.aspx  If all of that is correct then pull all of the wire out and lay it straight behind the skidder. Pull on the wire and see if it wants to twist one way. If it wants to twist let it twist until it feels even. Fasten the rope to a stump and pull it good and taught and leave it there overnight. Wind it back on the spool by pulling the skidder back to the stump with a bit of drag on the brakes.
Mike

OH logger

if it were me I would just go back to using  the grapple :D
john

millcreek40

Mine looked the same way. As already mentioned  hook it to a tree overnight a few times.  Worked for me
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

Magicman

Giving the cable a good pounding/whacking while it is under tension will allow the strands to slip and equalize.  This will aid in removing the curly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lynde37avery

Cable does the same thing that gift wrap ribbon does when curled with scissors. Just happens when the slides on the  cable are winvhed in just right.
Detroit WHAT?

jwilly3879

That's why we don't use swedged cable.

CCC4

Quote from: jwilly3879 on October 10, 2015, 04:49:57 PM
That's why we don't use swedged cable.

I agree. We tried 3 different swedged cables and I think they are junk. They bird nest on the spool when in free spin, if they get kinked they break...they just seem like a total waste of money from what experiences I have had with them. 

I learned from sawmilling that some cables are just junk, you never really "save" money by buying a leser cable. I figure this goes for mainlines...however saying that...swedged lines are expensive and junk! LOL!

ga jones

I don't like swedged cable either I had it so I put it on. It was fine for months until I started this clear cut. I'm hooking 6 trees all over the place. I'm sure I did it.

mills

Quote from: OH logger on October 10, 2015, 01:03:19 PM
if it were me I would just go back to using  the grapple :D
:D :D :D Yep, option #1!  :D :D :D

lumberjack48

I ran cable many years, swedged cable is absolutely worthless on a pole skidder, stiff, heavy, and coils up, it takes all the fun out of running rigging.
When i ran rigging in Montana behind a D8 skid cat they used reg 5/8 cable with 12 to 16, 9/16, 8' chokers.

My thoughts, i would never, never run swedged cable. A reg 9/16, 75' lasted about 6 months of steady logging. This all depends on the skidder operator. I've had guys ruin a mainline in one day [ no brains, you use kickbacks and rolls, you don't keep pulling until something breaks. I learned in the early 70's if i wanted to get wood out fast and easy the tree faller never leaves the skidder. He falls drag for drag and helps hook. When using a pole skidder its the fallers job to keep the skidder moving with no issues. This is what i learned, and i learned it the hard way.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

TW_Nate

On the last drag of the day, esp. when it's a new cable, I let almost all the wench line out on a long straight-away, and pull it most of the way back in, keeping pressure on the line when I leave the machine for the night.  It builds memory in the cable and usually keeps that from happening.

I've heard that called "piggy tailing."  Kind of like curling ribbon when wrapping a gift.  I think it happens when the cable gets pulled against a tree around a turn or when wenching.

ga jones

I'm not working that job this week I'm Working  with the c4.so I ran the winch line out hooked a 10 foot choker to a little tree and twisted the chain choker opposite way of the line twist and tensioned it. I'll be back to it on Saturday I'll see what happens

redprospector

I posted a drawing once that showed how I avoid "pig tailing" my main line, but I got laughed at.  :-[  But I'm really not very thin skinned.  :D

If you want to avoid a pig tail in your main line, you may have to change a few habits. If you pull a sharp turn from one choker slide to the next one, and you're not pulling pecker poles, you will curl up your cable. It was described earlier as being like running ribbon over scissors, and that's a pretty good description of what's going on.
To avoid a mess like this you have to plan out your turns/skids/drags (whatever you want to call it  ;)). Trees have to be felled in a manner that will keep you from pulling a sharp turn from one choker slide to the next, or you may have to do a little prep work with the skidder before making a drag.
Or you can do like I do when a hired hand is running my skidder and cut it off a couple of times, and buy a new main line every couple of months. The choice is yours. But I've never had any success straightening a curled up cable.  8)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

ga jones

redprospector

You're welcome ga jones. It really wasn't much though, just my 2 cents.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

ehp

Andy , I'm with you on this and have been doing it this way sense I started driving skidders which was at 10 years old , this is how I was showed and told by my Dad , do it this way or your not going to be sitting on your butt any time soon cause its going to be sore . I run swedged cable only and donot have any problems with curls or twist . I'm going to do 1 more job with this cable and then switch it out for a new 3/4 inch swedged one . I got 12 months so far on this cable and pulling fairly big timber all the time . I have had 2 guys come and try to help me and both are to be loggers and have been logging a long time , Both hook the hitch up the wrong way and use the last choker on the mainline so the closest choker to the ball end on the mainline as their first choker , I try to tell and show them why not but they just donot get it and in a hour or so the mainline is a real mess

Thank You Sponsors!