iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horizontal vs Vertical log splitters

Started by Wrace, September 28, 2004, 07:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrace

Looking to get a log spitter for firewood, and was wondering what the relative merits of each of these styles of splitters? I see many of them are hoizontal and/or vertical.

In terms of acutal use, which is less fatiguing to use? Assuming you will be picking up the rounds from the ground to insert in the machine, and the spilt firewood pieces will be put in the bed of a pick-up.

Thanks
Wayne

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Wrace.

I have a splitter that is either horizontal or Vertical.  I use it mostly Vertical because I don't have to lift large rounds.  I can stick the edges  under the splitter and just nibble away.

Two of us will man it sometimes and often use stools to sit upon.  Neither one will break a sweat.  One pulls the handle (wife) and the other brings the rounds and throws the split wood on a pile. (me) :D

chet

Personally I like the horizontal style. I would rather pick up one larger piece than than bend over for all the smaller ones after their split.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

rebocardo

I think vertical is easier if you are splitting large green wood.

A 24h x 18w piece of water or white oak will weigh 150+ pounds. Most people can not lift that much without a lot of strain, if at all. Especially 50 times in a row.

I would get one that does both vert. and hoz. because standing next to a wood pile, pulling the small ones off the top you do not have to bend over to split them or pull them off the machine. But, you can still roll the big pieces over and not lift them.

isawlogs

We bought a new splitter this past spring and we opted for the horisontal and vertical also , we haul it around the farm with the atv .
 Stand it up for the big blocks and set horisontal; for the smaller ones....
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Woodcarver

Mine is hinged so that it can be used either horizontally or vertically, also. Unless I'm splittling really large pieces, I use it horizontally. Seems as though I'm constantly bending over when I use it vertically.  Stresses my back more than the lifting required to use it horizontally.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

MULE_MAN

Welcome to the Forum Wrace

My Wood splitter is Horizontal , which I really like, But the reason it works good for myself
is that it's goes on the 3 point hitch of my tractor . And it's made with a 8" eye beam, so
when I get next to the log that needs split . I just lower the 3 point down , And roll it up on the
8" beam and hit the lever and it splits. So I really never lift anything, just roll it up on the splitter
I think either one Horizontal or Vertical would probably work for you , But I wouldn't want one that I
had to physically pick the wood up and sit on the splitter. But then again the only thing I split is the stuff
you would blow a shirt sleeve out trying to lift . ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Murf

I got a pair, one horizontal and one vertical, both for the 3pth of the tractor. I rarely use the horizontal one though, it's old, ugly, and was free. I keep it only as a 'loaner'.

Last year I had a brain-fart and made a mount on the side (1/3 of the way down one side) of a heavy steel workbench to accomodate the vertical splitter, and made up a long set of remote hydraulic lines. Now I use the loader to gather and lift the blocks onto the long end of the bench. Then I plug in the remotes and slide the blocks straight into the splitter, when they're down to the right size they go off the short end and into whatever I want, the loader again or a truck or trailer.

It worked so well, this years project is an all-in-one model, a firewood processor, put a log in one end, get split blocks out the other end. Besides, my Dad has been eying up the 'splitter bench' so I figure I better start building the replacement before he appropriates the bench.

Best of luck.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

jgoodhart

I built a log spliter that is horitzonal and has 2 splitting heads 1 splits in half and the other splits 4 ways piles the wood up fast. large chunks roll into the loader bucket and roll them onto the spliter, works for me.

Ed_K

I run 3, one is a small horizontal 22" w/ 5hp + pump. It can sit on the tailgate of the 1/2 ton.
 Next was a 3pt 26", that I mounted to the end of a truck frame, the length of the frame is cribed with 6x6s and 2x4s screwed to it with slots for 16" cuts. I load a log on and buck to length, roll the rounds down to the splitter, split and load into the truck, or elevate to the side into a pile. Its run by an 8hp w/barnes 2 stage pump.
 3rd is an American vertical 4' 3pt. Its on the tractor, back up to the log length pile, cut to 4' split and load onto an old hay wagon, that has the bunks the floor sat on. This is done with wood being stocked up for later orders.
Ed K

jrdwyer

I just spent four hours splitting firewood today with a rental gas powered splitter. I normally split with an axe, but the free sweetgum rounds I had stacked just laughed at my meager attempts with an 8 lb axe. So I paid $40 for the rental and got it all split.

It was both horixontal and vertical, but I used the vertical only as the larger rounds were quite heavy. I just rolled them over to the metal base. I forget the brand, some company out of N. Illinois. It was well made and the Honda 8 hp engine was powerful and fuel frugal. One negative was the lack of suspension and relatively small wheels on the towable splitter. That makes it slow going over rough roads and around turns (narrow, easy to tip over).

I even had some idiot on a motorcycle tell me at a stoplight that I needed a slow moving vehicle flag or plates for the towable splitter. I told him it was a rental and ignored him. The rental store said the citizen cop was incorrect on both counts.

Anyway, I enjoyed splitting with the machine, but I prefer the axe. Next time I will politely decline any offers for free sweetgum or other interlocking grain trees.

beav

I have a horizontal splitter,works great, greatly works my back with the large rounds. I think the cat's a$$ would be having a loglift like the ones in the new Northern catalog.
   Of course,then a conveyer, cutoff saw, adjustable(on the fly) 6 way wedge, maybe a cab. Heck,I'll just get a Multitek ;D

Timberwerks

Having a log lift really makes splitting easy. I have the TW5 pictured here

http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/splitters/tw5/tw5.htm

The spliter also has a  4 way wedge that is lifted by hydraulics. Depending on the amount of splitting you woud be doing it may be a good investment.

Dale

jgoodhart

Timberwerks why did you post that link :-[ now I need to build another log spliter.

billbobtlh

The timber wolf is the cat daddy. I bought one two years ago.
If you can roll the round onto the lift it will split it. I wish I had gotten the six way wedge. They are very proud of their fine --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/v438/billbobtlh/timberwolf.bmp

Larry

Anything you guy's would change on the Timberwolf TW-5 if ya had your way?  I built a  near identical splitter in 1988.   It is in the shop to add log lift and 4-way split.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Timberwerks

I think it's pretty much perfect the way it is. The only thing I can think of off hand is to add a hour meter. And maybe make it a little taller, I'm 6' 5" so I would probably say this about any splitter.

Dale

Woodcarver

You and I are about the same height, Timberwerks. I would say the same thing about my splitter (it's not a Timberwolf)--it could be a little taller.

Of course, I would say that about alot  of other equipment, as well. :) :)

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Wrace

Many thanks for the replies gentlemen. Very nice community you have here.

I've been wondering how well the log lifters work. I don't have the right software to play the videos off the timberwolf site, so I can't see how the log lifters function. Do they lower all the way to the ground hydraulically? Do you pick up one log at a time with it? When it goes over center to the bed and the log rolls onto the bed, is there a stop to keep the log from rolling off the other side?

I have some physical limitations with my back, so my wood cutting/splitting is a very slow process. I'm wondering if a log lift would help in that area.

With regards to building my own splitter w/ lift. Has anyone made a bill of materials and run the numbers to see how much savings could be had over buying one? I have the capability to fabricate just about anything in my shop, and a splitter would be well within my skills.

However, after going through this decision process when looking at building a car trailer. I know that sometimes what looks like a money saver really is not. Even getting all the steel and components at the absolute best price I could. Building a car trailer was not that much less expensive then buying one. Much of course depends on the mark-up on the splitters as to how much wriggle room there is.

One thing that I like about building my own, is I could set the height nice and high where it would be a bit easier on my back, maybe. I'm 6' 4" and my back will not take much stooping over for any period of time. Most all of the machines in my shop are on custom built stands to get them to comfortable working height.

Thanks for your help.
Wayne  

Buzz-sawyer

Wayne
I think you got the right idea on the trailer, unless you get a bunch of steel for free......the margins are really close....on a log splitter or lift......I gather junk all the time just waitin for the next project.... :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Timberwerks

Wayne

The log lift does go all the way down to the ground. There is a craddle on the splitter rail that keeps the log from rolling off. Another nice thing about the log lift is you can keep it in a horizontal position and stack a number of logs on it for splitting, it makes a great work surface. Call Timberwolf for a dealer in your area. The dealer will most likely come to your place and give you a demo.

Dale

Thank You Sponsors!