iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What can I use to remove burned on ash gum from blades.

Started by 21incher, October 09, 2015, 06:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I have a batch of blades that have burned on gum from milling ash logs that I want to try and sharpen by hand. The gum fills in the set areas and is really hard to get off without using wire wheels that are pretty rough on the blades. Does anyone know of a solvent that I could soak the blades in to loosen the gum. I have had good luck using simple green on my woodworking blades, but it won't touch the ash gum. It would be nice to find something that is easy to dispose of. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

BCsaw

Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

gfadvm

I use the purple formula Simple Green straight and it has not failed me yet. But I soak my blades for 24 hours and the spray with hot water. I rarely have to brush a bit with a stiff nylon bristle brush.

kensfarm

I think it would faster to get a trash dry log.. or some old slab wood would work..  spray the diesel on the blade w/ spray bottle.. make thin type cuts.  I'm use to sharpening chainsaw blades.. I did one blade by hand.. it was painfully slow.. convinced me I need to buy a sharpener/setter in the near future.   

21incher

Thanks for the replies.I will have to try the diesel first as I have a bunch of that around. I wish that my mill would allow me to use it as lube, but it would destroy the belts.

gfadvm I will have to look for the simple green purple that you use. I tried soaking a band in the green formula but it did nothing. That burned on ash gum is like plastic resin.  Maybe the purple is stronger and I like the non toxic properties.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Delawhere Jack

gfadvm

I get the purple Simple Green at Home Depot. Also, I pour it back in a gallon jug and reuse it. I've been using the same gallon for years (looks a little cruddy but still works). I even soak my drum sander paper in it `to remove those burn streaks.

woodmills1

lestoil, it works wonders on sap.  I soak table saw blades in it, but for band saw blades spray it on and let it sit, then rinse.  It takes the pitch off the feed rollers on my edger.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

BCsaw

I don't/won't run diesel as blade lube either. But, you can keep some diesel at the mill and just wipe the blade occaisionally when you are sawing! ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

terrifictimbersllc

Industrial Purple also has sodium hydroxide in it same as oven cleaner, spray it on let it soak a few minutes.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ron Wenrich

Tulip poplar.  It'll clean up a circle blade in quick order. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ox

Old timers would tell you to use kerosene.  It's a great multi-purpose "dry" oil.  Dry meaning don't try to burn it straight in a diesel engine because it has basically no lubrication for sensitive close tolerance diesel engine fuel delivery systems.  One of the best low cost WD40 type mixtures is a 50/50 mix using kerosene and ATF.  Works just about as good as 50/50 using acetone and ATF (which was tested under scientific conditions and out performed everything else but wasn't tested against blue creeper!) but is much cheaper.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Billbob

Quote from: BCsaw on October 09, 2015, 08:13:12 PM
Diesel????

Diesel fuel was my first thought as well.  Coat the blade then run it though a log.  Repeat until the blade is clean.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

caveman

When reusing solvents, I usually soak 10" table saw blades in the bottom of a five gallon bucket (placing a string tied to a washer through the arbor hole).  A round plastic garbage can works well for soaking band saw blades.
Caveman
Caveman

21incher

Well I tried the diesel today and it only loosened the top layer. Still took some wire brushing to get it off. Trouble is that my wife would not let me in the house afterwards because the smell was on my clothes and skin. I guess that is not going to work for me.

This is what my blades look like after milling 250 - 300 bf of ash using water / dawn for lube. They are still sharp, but stop cutting straight. I never get this build up when sawing any other species of wood. I am starting to wonder if it is being caused by having to cut slow with my low HP mill and the ash sawdust is fine enough that it does not properly get pulled out of the kerf.
I am going to pick up some of that simple green purple stuff and try that next.
Thanks for all the tips.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

Used anti freeze in a 55 gal barrel or garbage can and soak for a couple of days will loosen it up good then wipe with a rag.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

Also turn up your water a lot, you will not saw straight lumber when the buildup is that bad.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

deadfall

Quote from: 21incher on October 10, 2015, 04:12:49 PM
Well I tried the diesel today... Trouble is that my wife would not let me in the house afterwards because the smell was on my clothes and skin. I guess that is not going to work for me.

Somehow the bar hostesses in the navy ports psychically knew that some of us were submarine sailors.  They couldn't tell that about the nuke boys.  The trace radiation probably interfered with their psychic abilities.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

dgdrls

Try Orange Citrus spray cleaner

My Lucas loaded up with Ash also,  soaked it and used a stiff
bristle plastic brush takes a bit but the Citrus worked for me.

Dan

justallan1

In the future you might try using pine-sol and water on logs with pitch. That's mostly the only thing that I used and it worked well. In the winter when it starts getting cold I'd use Wally World el cheapo windshield washer fluid instead of water.

Chuck White

My lube/coolant mix is 2 cups of Pinesol, ΒΌ cup of dish soap, usually Dawn, added to about 5 gallons of water.

I don't usually saw very much Ash, but when I do, during the cut, the water valve is opened up all the way and I usually don't have much problem.

I usually don't saw Ash last, that way after sawing the Ash, I will have a few other species like Hemlock or Oak to run the blade through and it usually cleans up nice!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

21incher

Thanks everyone. I will give the pinesol a try. I have a wack of ash & walnut to mill next week with a box of new blades so I will be able to see if it makes a difference. I'll let you know if soaking the batch of built up blades in the purple simple green will clean them. :)

kelLOGg

I have 2 galvanized tubs, one smaller that fits inside the larger. I poured diesel (or your favorite solvent) in the larger tub and weighted down the inner tub making the solvent rise several inches in the gap between the tubs. I fold my hard-to-clean blades and place them (as many as 3) in the solvent and wait a little as 10 minutes or a week (if I forget about them) and the remaining residue wipes off with little effort. However, I have never tried it on ash, mostly pine and oak. I think I used a gallon or two of diesel several years ago and have not had to replenish it. I keep it covered at all times.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

btulloh

I soak my table saw blades in a baking soda and water mixture for a couple hours and it takes the hard pitch right off.  Since I'm pretty new with the bandsaw I haven't had any really hard stuff build up yet.  Lot's of good suggestions on here to try though. 
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!