iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black or honey locust?

Started by ReggieT, October 09, 2015, 12:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Here are some leaves and bark from what I think may be a black or honey locust...could use some help with the ID?
Thanks
Reg

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

curdog

RLooks like black locust to me

WDH

Black locust.  Unless this one is a thornless variety, the thorns will be paired at the base of the leaf stalk (called a rahis in a compound leaf). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

I agree, this is what our honey locust look like

Wouldn't be the most fun to climb  :)

ReggieT

Can't recall seeing any pods...it was getting dark.
Is the BTU output on black locust higher than honey?
BTW...that honey locust looks beyond knarley! :o :o

WDH

BTU output for black locust is among the very best. 

Honeylocust re-defines gnarly. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gfadvm

I've sawed some of that thorny trunked honey locust and pulled all the thorns off with pliers as I didn't want to scatter them all around the mill. They will go through a boot sole or a tire with ease. A lot of effort, but beautiful color in the slabs.

Magicman

A strange thing is that some Honey Locust has those thorns and some do not.  Maybe male & female?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ScottInCabot

I would love to have about ten of those gnarly trees growing between myself and the 'crackheads' next door....it sure would keep them out of the yard during their 'parties'.

Honeylocust sure does make some nice boards....milled more then a few myself.  Luck has been with me not to have stepped on the thorns too(knock on wood).

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

Ozarker

Plant some, Scott. ;D They grow pretty fast, especially in full sun, and even poor soil is no problem. Or, you could get some Bois d'Arc fruit, mash it to make a slurry, put it in a barrel, let it sit over the winter, then dig a trench, pour in the slurry, and wait for it to grow. Once growing good, thin a bit, then lace the leftover trees together, forming a hedge. Worked for livestock, ought to work for crackheads.  ;) It takes about five years before the trees really reach their growth stage. They grow pretty slowly up to that point. They, too, need some sun.

Magicman

If you do not have them, then I would never ever import seeds and plant them.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gfadvm

Quote from: Magicman on October 10, 2015, 08:54:17 AM
A strange thing is that some Honey Locust has those thorns and some do not.  Maybe male & female?

I learned something new today! Don't think I could ID it without the thorns.

Magicman

Yup, the leaves and the bark is the same, just no thorns.

WDH

The horticultural varieties have been bred to be thornless so that they can be planted in landscapes.

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on October 11, 2015, 07:25:44 AMThe horticultural varieties have been bred to be thornless so that they can be planted in landscapes.
I have some in the woods with no thorns.  Maybe where the breeding stock came from.  Most are horrible.   :-\

Thank You Sponsors!