iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hudson 60 sawmill

Started by redbeard, October 08, 2015, 02:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

http://www.hud-son.com/ anyone seen one Slabbing wide cuts? Looks heavy duty just curious about this mill.http://www.hud-son.com/products/product-detail/oscar-60-sawmill#tech here is the link.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Jeff

I saw one at Booneville. It was a monster.  It was producing some amazing slabs for sure.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Den-Den

I saw one demonstrated a couple of weeks ago at Texas State Forestry Festival.  The frame looked lighter than I would have expected but it cut very smoothly through some wide slabs with no shaking or noticeable deflection.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Delawhere Jack

Just checking it out on the Hud-Son website. On the page for that mill, they state the price as $43,000.... and they offer an "Add to cart" button on the page.  :D

I think the FedEx guy would be pretty pithed at me if he had to deliver something that big!

redbeard

https://youtu.be/CciFccDUjxY from what I can see is it was introduced around late spring of 2015. 30" wheels and you can get a diesel option. It can basically do what a WM 1000 can offer.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

Looks good for specialty slabbing, but I think not for production.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

The WM1000 is 11" wider between the guides.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MattJ

I've bought slabs off a sawyer who has either the 52 or 60, can't remember.  They were nice slabs of walnut, and my sister got a big slab of magnolia 4'x12' and had a table made from it.  It cut nice slabs, I would be surprised though if it was really $43K.

Nomad

Sounds like Hud-Son has upped their game a bit, but that just doesn't look like a heavy duty machine to me in the video.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Too Big To Fail

I have and older HFE48- built sometime in the 90s. 

I put Cook's bearings on it & get 43" between them.  I've maxed it out a few times and it does okay.  The cut can get wavy with that much blade out though, especially if there's a knot or some such.  Definitely nice to have the option however.  Really depends on the material-  I resawed some 43" dry claro walnut with excellent results, and 40" knotty oak with 3/4" of wave. 

I can't speak to the newer model but my mill is not really in the same category as the WM I've used.  More of a farmer mill than a high precision instrument.  My main complaint is that the moveable bearing arm vibrates some, which is more of an issue when it is at a narrow setting, and I expect that might get worse with a 60" throat.  That said I've put a lot of quality board feet through my mill and have no complaints.  I bought it used though, and certainly didn't spend 43K on it. 

I would think if slabbing is your primary focus you might look into those big chain mills (Lucas or Petersen?) and get the planing blade to clean up the seasoned slabs. 

redbeard

Thanks Too big to fall,  nice info.  Even though I compared it too the WM 1000  I know the big differences , what sparks my interest with the Hudson 60 is 30" band wheels and blades  are  2" wide with diesel power. I want to make wide slabs someday, I've see how well a Lucus with a bar slabs,  A Band mill is far more useful for quick set up and getting through the cut.   

york

Albert

redbeard

Figured I would give you folks a update on the Oscar 60 band mill.
It has been almost a year and Iam pleased too say it has been well worth the venture.
Yes it was a huge expense but was able to stay in my budget. Concrete,(used) far reach 10 K  IR off road lift, Oscar 60 mill with 40' of track.
The WM 1000 was my 1st preference but they do not offer the diesel motor.  Gen set was only option and that took away my fork lift budget.
As far as heavy duty it will slice 50" slabs all day long, speed of cut is pretty good, the blades are 1-1/2 wide 7/8 tpi 7° 254" length.
As far as Production sawing it's a can't making machine. Goes real well with the TK mill. I can break down big logs for qrt sawing or make 6"-8"-10" 12" slabs for TK to make 1x and 2x stock. BF production is way up using both mills. I've sawn giant 48" wide ovals, wide burls, big crutches with figure, endless possibilities. It's not just for slabbing.
The 34 HP Kubota is the right diesel for this size of mill.
The biggest can't it will make is 28"x 28" x 36'
Yes it's heavy that goes on and off mill. That's why the 10 K lift and my boom truck are needed. I have actually had to use both on some mill jobs.( Pictures will be in future) it gets real hectic running equipment and mill is reason.
The track is anchored perfectly flat it has leveling feet and hold down adjustments. I've had well over 5 ton logs on this mill.
The mill itself is very simple easy to work on and has plenty of electrical power for feed and up/down. The readable scale is amazing accurate.
The shoes for blade guides work great. Haven't broke a blade nor have had any waves or dives. Except major metal hits. Which happens with big trunks have found some weird stuff. A mirror from a antique truck was a strange fund.

Also use Bi metal blades.

thecfarm

Glad you like it. Sounds like a brute!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Coast Steve

I just had my Hudson 52" arrive. (The little brother of the 60")
It came all the way from upstate New York to the Sunshine Coast in BC. (Near Vancouver) The shipping and exhange rate on the Canadian dollar killed me.  But it's here now.
Just making the track up last couple of days and then the headrig can be mounted on it.
I just do tables here, so don't need long lengths. The track will be 29' long overall.
That leaves room for the headrig to be "parked" at one end out of the way while I load a log.

Doing a very strong rail system though  4"x12" C channel.
Will post pics when done. Shown is the simple track it comes with.

redbeard

Congrats on your Hud-Son,
Since your fastening it to concrete we fabricated up some hold down braces also to help keep track level. Just a idea that has worked out really good.

also make up some 2" posts to use for stops the factory yellow stops are just for clamping don't roll logs on them. Learned that one already.

Thank You Sponsors!