iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 026 and 028

Started by woody367, October 07, 2015, 11:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody367

Hi guys and gals, I am looking for some input which I know is asked alot. I am a homeowner with a upstste house where I need to clear some trees and I cut lots of fire wood. I have had for years a Stihl 004 14" and a poulan wild thing chainsaw "cheap junk. I tend to use the Stihl most of thr time as the Pouland is like a toy with less power in my opion. I ant a larger saw to run a 16"-18" bar. A guy I know has both a 026 and a 028 which he is selling and both look and run nice. My question is one better then the other? Longevity, more power easier to get parts and service or rebuild if it came down to it? I am also open ti suggestion. I was told to try a MS250 but think its a homeowners saw and I would like to step up to farm/ranch or even a light pro.
He is asking $175 each. There is someone else looking at them but I get first pick.. Thank you

Caloren

All I can say is that I have a 028 AV Super with a 20" bar and I love it. Great saw. No trouble finding parts for it, though I have needed very few new parts.
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

ScottAR

Your gonna be happy with either.  I've had a 026 for years and have used a 028 a few times.  Both have good power and balance for their size.  I run a 18" on the 026.  I'd get the one I liked the best after a test drive. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

SawTroll

Quote from: ScottAR on October 08, 2015, 01:18:05 AM
Your gonna be happy with either.  I've had a 026 for years and have used a 028 a few times.  Both have good power and balance for their size.  I run a 18" on the 026.  I'd get the one I liked the best after a test drive.

The 026 clearly is a neater, lighter and better design, and was the replacement for the 028 for most practical purposes.
Also, the 028 simply is too heavy for its engine size and power at that time (even the 51.4cc Supers, and more so the 43 and 47cc non-supers).
Information collector.

ZeroJunk

I have had several of both and I would rather have the 026 . In addition to what Sawtroll says it has a simpler oiler .

Bricklayer51

I too have both go with the 026.

woody367

Thanks for the input I will check them out this weekend. I was just wondering if the ms260 is the same as the 026 just newer or a lot different?

SawTroll

Quote from: woody367 on October 08, 2015, 10:18:34 AM
Thanks for the input I will check them out this weekend. I was just wondering if the ms260 is the same as the 026 just newer or a lot different?

There isn't much difference between a late 026 and an early MS260, except for the fuel and oil caps (they don't interchange).
About mid 2004 the US sold 260 got a 50.2cc engine, and was detuned by .2 kw/.3 hp for EPA reasons, making them less attractive.
Apart from that, the saws were made for a long time, so there was of course some detail changes/updates during the production + a few different versions, depending on the market they were for.
Information collector.

isawlogs

If the budget is there, get a new ms260. the 026 and 028 are gettig up in the ages, you wont regret getting a new one .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SawTroll

Quote from: isawlogs on October 08, 2015, 07:19:09 PM
If the budget is there, get a new ms260. the 026 and 028 are gettig up in the ages, you wont regret getting a new one .

There aren't any new 260s, the model was replaced by the 261 several years ago.

The Canadian sold ones weren't detuned like the US sold ones, but the OP is in the US.
Information collector.

deerslayer

Quote from: isawlogs on October 08, 2015, 07:19:09 PM

Might be hard to find a new MS260 since they quit making them some years ago and replaced it with the MS261 which is a completely different saw.

I have the 026 model which I like a lot and as of an hour ago I now have an 028 Super as I took one on trade. I had this model saw for a couple years and prefer the 026 but the 028 Super is a strong running good quality saw.
Either one would be a decent buy at that price. Parts are available.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

deerslayer

Sawtroll types faster I guess...
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

SawTroll

Information collector.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, woody367.  This past Thursday there was an 026 and a 028 Super on this job, both with 18" bars. LINK I did not see any difference in their power or sawing ability.

Test drive them and pick a winner.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawTroll

Quote from: Magicman on October 10, 2015, 07:52:12 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, woody367.  This past Thursday there was an 026 and a 028 Super on this job, both with 18" bars. LINK I did not see any difference in their power or sawing ability.

Actually, none of them are winners by today, they are both relics.  ;)
Information collector.

BradMarks

Gotta say I believe in my 026. Actually started on third pull after not being run for 17 years! Was using a differnt power head all that time.

sawguy21

Quote from: SawTroll on October 11, 2015, 06:10:40 PM
Quote from: Magicman on October 10, 2015, 07:52:12 PM

Actually, none of them are winners by today, they are both relics.  ;)
From what he tells us he does not need the latest and greatest. Both are solid reliable saws well suited for what he wants to do. I would go for the 026 for the difference in weight but to each his own.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

If all else fails go with the MS261  and the 261 Tuning Kit  ;D

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 12, 2015, 06:49:22 PM

I'm sure that set up will work very well for some purposes, maybe not so well for other ones.....
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on October 12, 2015, 07:00:36 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on October 12, 2015, 06:49:22 PM

I'm sure that set up will work very well for some purposes, maybe not so well for other ones.....
Very true as long as you stick with the 16"b/c. But as far as I'm  concerned  the 16" is the maximum I'd  run on the MS 261. :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

nitehawk55

Biggest difference between an 028 and the 026/260 is a bit of weight .
The 028 is getting a bit long in the tooth but lots of them still out there cutting and cutting very well .

Yeah a 16" on a 260/261 is about all I'd recommend but a lot out there with 18 and 20" bars .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

Thank You Sponsors!