iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rocking Chair <--> Merged with sketch

Started by Den-Den, October 07, 2015, 09:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den-Den

I made this for a niece who just had a baby.  I had offered to make a rocking horse but she asked for a rocking chair instead.  Have made chairs once before and several stools but this is my first rocking chair.  It is quite comfortable for me, she is shorter, hope it works for her.  I had cut the walnut last year from a "free" tree that had lots of metal.  Finished with Minwax Wipe On Poly.

Now that it is done, I may take some measurements and make up a drawing in case I want to make another.

You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Magicman

:o  That is superb craftsmanship.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jamesamd

I would like mine delivered by January.  Sweet Den!!!

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

hackberry jake

Looks like bent laminated rockers. I like it!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Sixacresand

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 08, 2015, 06:38:52 AM
Looks like bent laminated rockers. I like it!
Me too.
Good job Den-Den
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

lowpolyjoe

mesquite buckeye

Looks like that one will stand the test of time. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

coalsmok

Looks good.  You adopting? Seems to be a line for WDH.

jueston

that is one beautiful chair.  :)

bama20a

That is VERY nice,& something that will be passed on for years to come.
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

21incher

Great looking rocker. If she doesn't like it, my wife would love one like that. ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

samandothers

Ok since I am late to the game and Jamesamd has asked for delivery in January I can wait for February!

A set of plans and measurements would work as a fall back!

LaneC

That is superb craftsmanship. You can tell, that came from the heart. There is great talent at it's finest.
Man makes plans and God smiles

rasman57

Very special handcrafted piece that will be a family heirloom. .....nice !  Thanks for sharing the great pic.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Nice!  while you are taking measurements, you might go ahead and draw up that rocking horse too ;D
very nice work of art there,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

kettlekorn

That is one "fine" piece of furniture.  Walnut furniture is just great. An outstanding job.
EZ Boardwalk Jr , Kubota L3800,  250 acre farm

whiskers

Yes, very nice.
Your rocker honors the tree, a matching rocky horse would complete the set. The drawings could be the gravy for the biscuits.
many irons in the fire.........

Magicman

There is no telling how many times I have clicked on this and admired at that Rocker.  It is bold yet elegant.  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodey

I like your style and wood choice.
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

Den-Den

Here is a sketch of the rocking chair I made recently.  This is not intended to be a complete plan but might help someone who wants to build one.  This was built for a niece who is smaller than me.  If I was making one for myself, the seat would be an inch higher (I am 6 ft tall, ~210 lbs), some would want the seat wider or the back taller; adjust as you see fit.  The hole locations for back spindles are not specified on the sketch, a good way to locate them is to make the back rest first and drill through it with a long (installer type) bit to the seat.  The material I used for the seat was 2-1/4" thick but would not have to be quite that thick.
Edited to add larger images

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Den-Den

mesquite buckeye

SwampDonkey

Very nice. Some day I have to make one to for the front porch.  :)

Merged your sketch in with your chair thread. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!