iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alright Formites.....The Goat pulled the trigger on a Pick-Up Truck

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, October 06, 2015, 07:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I say a prayer for you guys every night for the advice everyone shares on here.
I lightly stepped away from the Silverado with the 383 in it. Its was a very nice truck but not knowing the things I learned from you all.....I wiped the tears and kept a hunting.

This truck came up for sale on CL last night as I was on CL looking............

Its a 1997 ford f250 ext cab 4x4. Has the 7.3 powerstroke with a automatic transmission that has been rebuilt with a up graded torque converter and valve body.  The truck it has been garage kept and took very good care of it has 144,500 miles it has a newer seat of 285/75/16 Maxxis bighorn tires its strait piped and has a ts 6 position chip and a k and n air filter it also has a gooseneck.

It was 80 miles away....the young man was really nice. We met half way today in the parking lot of Gander mountain.
Did an 18 mile test drive. Check everything. He showed what he knew, had a folder of receipts over the years and a clean Carfax.

I had the money in my pocket, the deal was made, we did the paper work on the hood, gave me keys and I was happy. Julie went with me and drove my Chevy Silverado 2WD back home.

Low and behold....I DID NOT get out of the parking lot and a NC Trooper stopped me for no tags.
Showed him my paper work and off I went.

Got back home...insured it and went to pay the property tax. Low and behold, 3 miles down the road, a S.C. Trooper stops me for no tag. Showed him the paper work and off I went. Its now after 5pm. Will get my tag in the morning. The property tax was only $18.00.  ;D

This 4x4 is what I need around the farm and mill. Have an appointment for 8:15 am for a complete service at the Ford dealership.
The truck is as clean as a penny inside and has been garaged since new. Why would this guy sell it?

DIVORCE !

Now I'm a Chevy man from birth...but could not pass this up for what I paid.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

samandothers

Like you I am a GM guy.   That is one nice looking truck!!  Low mileage you did ggrrreat!

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

snowstorm

i have a 97 also when new it looked like that. 18 years in the salt took its toll still runs like it did when new. the only real weak point was the ifs front axle. they would crack next to the u bolts on the drivers side. usually it was only trucks with snowplows. i would get ride of the tunner. that motor makes 225hp 500 lbs tq

Magicman

I would say that you did very well.  Most of us have owned a Chevy at one time during our lives, and some of us survived.

I am not fond of the K&N air filters.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

Hay goat that looks like my truck same color only a lot cleaner but  mine is a work truck
Yer gonna like that 7.3
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

clww

I've heard that is a good motor. As Lynn wrote, I too am not fond of the K & N filters.
I think you did fine with your CL discovery. Nice starter truck that should get you ready for your first Dodge Ram!
You're our goat after all. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now I'm starting to feel "Warm and Fuzzy". Where did I hear that?  say_what

Anyway....I appreciate your thoughts, good and bad.  smiley_thumbsup

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Delawhere Jack

Their advertising slogan, "The longest lasting trucks on the road." is not a joke.......

sprucebunny

I'm jealous  ;D
Very nice and clean looking.

Don't need no chip  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sawguy21

One good looking truck.  8) Two things, ditch them stinkin auto hubs and be religious about oil changes. The injectors rely on oil pressure to work.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Banjo picker

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 06, 2015, 07:52:30 PM
Now I'm starting to feel "Warm and Fuzzy". Where did I hear that?  say_what

Anyway....I appreciate your thoughts, good and bad.  smiley_thumbsup

Stay away from my kittens.  But that's a nice truck.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Posty,

Congrats even if it is a Ford. I think the military is right on their vehicles with their flat, no frills, no gloss paint and such. No truck should be allowed to leave the dealers lot till it has been rolled at least twice. Then we will not be reluctant to drive it where a truck is designed to go.

I thought you would have been shopping for a boat with recent weather. Since the New River is one of the few rivers that flow north I am now getting your water and it messed up my plans to put out catfish lines today. Maybe next week.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

r.man

Nice truck, sounds like a good deal. My brother once did a halfway deal like that. He had already seen the vehicle, came to an agreement over the phone and arranged to meet at a bus station at about the half way point so the seller could take a bus home. Did the paperwork and counted out the fairly substantial amount of money and then chatted for a while. Before the chat was over numerous police cars surrounded them and demanded to know what was going on. Someone called it in as a drug deal because of the amount of money changing hands.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

JB Griffin

Good looking truck you got there.
Dave you REALLY need to lose that K&N AFSO (air filter shaped object) as the let way more dust through than a paper filter.
My '96 has 244k on it and still runs great. Got a Edge programmer on it and full 3" down pipe, and its some where around 300hp 600ft lb of torque. ;D
If it ain't been done already consider changing out the turbo down pipe, the factory one are mashed so they clear easy but restrict the exhaust badly, a swap to a full 3" dp will free up about 20hp and allow the engine to breathe easier.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Magicman

My K&N was inside of the original air cleaner housing.  Just took it out, threw it away, and put in the proper air cleaner.  If your housing has been replaced, then I would say a trip to the boneyard.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on October 06, 2015, 10:57:34 PM
My K&N was inside of the original air cleaner housing.  Just took it out, threw it away, and put in the proper air cleaner.  If your housing has been replaced, then I would say a trip to the boneyard.

Thanks Lynn, I'll ask the dealer about it. This is my first diesel so I don't know original from replacement.
Thanks.

sandhills

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Got up early this morning. Starting reading reviews on the K&N air filter.

Magicman's was the first review.....by the time I got to the 7th review this morning, I'll probably jerk the K&N out as soon as the sun comes up.  :D
I'll get'r changed out for sure.

Thank You Sponsors!