iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wear your helmets!

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, October 06, 2015, 10:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Just heard that a local person was killed yesterday afternoon here in Wexford County when a tree fell on him while he was cutting firewood. Friends went out to search for him when he didn't return home and found him dead on site. Don't know any of the details yet.

Remember that woods-working is still the "most dangerous" job out there.
~Ron

Ron Scott

News release today.

WPBN/WGTU — WEXFORD CO.-- A man was killed after a tree fell on top of him while he was cutting firewood.

The incident happened Saturday around 5 p.m. in the woods near the intersection of W 44 1/2 Rd and S 7 1/2 Rd.

According to the Wexford County Sheriff's Office, 64-year-old Robert Cieslak was in the woods cutting multiple trees at a time for firewood when one of the trees fell on him.

Deputies say friends of Cieslak went to search for him because he was late returning home when they found him in the woods.

Cieslak was pronounced dead at the scene.
~Ron

Magicman

That is so very sad.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Mc

"Cutting multiple trees at a time"?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Magicman

I would think felling multiple trees before skidding/bucking.  Probably had a hangup.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

There is a technique called domino falling, which is incredibly dangerous. You notch and back-cut one tree, then do the same to a tree behind it, then repeat. Finally you wedge over the tree at the back of the row and it (in theory) takes down the others like a row of dominoes.

Usually you end up with a dangerous mess on the ground. That's if things go well.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

John Mc

I'd heard of domino falling. I didn't think anyone actually did it (other than a couple of candidates for a Darwin Award on YouTube)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Brucer

Many years ago an experienced professional tree faller told me he would do it if he had two or three trees to fall, with their branches all tangled together. He said it was a last resort and if he had a choice he'd just walk away and leave them.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Weekend_Sawyer

I bought my current helmet from Chainsawyer for $45, works great.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

DeerMeadowFarm

Well my new helmet was hand-delivered to me from Germany yesterday. I like it a lot!

sawguy21

8) How is it for weight and comfort?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DeerMeadowFarm

Very light and fits great!

DeerMeadowFarm

One thing I really like is the screen is so fine, it's like I'm not wearing one. I find myself trying to pull my screen down and it already is down. BIG improvement over my last helmet that made everything seem darker when it was down!

Raphael

Someday I need to invest in a new "name brand" helmet (something I can get replacement parts for easily).  My old helmet lacks hearing protection thanks to a mouse who confused the ear muffs for an outhouse.  >:(
  I haven't been in a huge rush as I usually to flip up the hearing protection when felling but it does leave me tramping around the woods in just ear muffs and safety glasses during the time spent limbing out the log.  I spend a lot of time looking up for hangers after the tree hits the ground.  ::)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!