iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wear your helmets!

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, October 06, 2015, 10:43:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

I'm not a professional logger but I have been cutting for around 30+ years. Mostly firewood and clearing jobs here and there. I've had some formal training as well. I always wear my helmet and this weekend made it clear why I should.

We have a cost-share program with NCRS going to remove invasive species from our farm/forest land. In the process, I have been thinning trees in the area we are reclaiming. Many trees were killed by vines, storm damaged, etc. I was cutting a small storm damaged maple next to a very large one that was also damaged and covered in vines.

The tree I was cutting was bent over almost touching the ground and was only about 8" in diameter. This was going to be salvaged as firewood and the stump pulled so I didn't notch it and just cut the back side. As it was slowly falling I stayed at the stump continuing to cut. It must have caught some of the vines in the tree next to it which dislodged a large dead maple branch. 5" at the thick end and 4' long, it fell and hit me on my helmet near my temple. It tore off the face shield and ear protection on that side as well as ripping my glasses off (never found them either). It knocked me to the ground.

Thankfully, I wasn't seriously injured. My neck is stiff today and my head is tender to touch but I never got nauseous, etc. so I think I escaped a concussion. The helmet showed signs of stress damage (white lines in the orange helmet) besides the afore-mentioned damage so it took a serious hit. I spent the rest of the day using my old semi-retired Husqvarna helmet (I retired it for the fact that it had only a 4 point suspension system).

Coincidentally, I recently had my friend in Germany buy me a new style Husqvarna helmet which a fellow colleague (my big boss) will bring to me at the end of this month when he visits for an R&D summit at our location. Now I really can't wait to get it!

Banjo picker

It's been right at 5 years since i made the post "Nearly went to the show room today ".  i had almost the same thing happen to me except I didnt have a helmet on.  I haven't cut one since without a hard hat on.  There is a picture in my gallery showing my bloody head.  A reminder ever now and again might help someone.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

beenthere

Banjo
How many pics in your gallery do we need to look through to find it?   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

Beenthere its under the album Tims favorite stuff and the picture is named bonk on the head.  I thought the picture was in the post, but maybe was offensive and got took out.  Its been 5years i might not have put it in there.  Thanks for the link Lynn...i need to learn how to do that.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

I wish that I had not looked.  :o   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

That was after Deb had done a little clean up and I had made it to the house.  Banjo

Magicman

I do remember seeing the picture so it was posted somewhere.

WDH

Happened to me too, once.  Hard hat probably saved my life. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OneWithWood

Helmets have saved my noggin' on more than one occasion. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

thecfarm

I wear a hardhat when cutting wood. Wife has one too. She does not help me in the woods,but will come visit me for a while when I am cutting. I have not had a few small branches hit the hard hat. But looking around I see some good size branches that have fallen when I am not there. I keep a small section of wood cleaned up by the house. I pick up some that have stuck into the ground.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

This whack made me realize that I needed this.

Banjo picker

That picture reminds me of a blind mule...it don't look good.  Banjo

DeerMeadowFarm

Here is the new helmet I bought. I should get it in a couple of weeks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1n3btD49jw

Magicman

It is good to see manufacturers being innovative and making improvements.   8)

John Mc

Looks like a nice helmet, and addresses some of the issues I have with my current helmet: too hot, and weight aggravates an old neck injury. My old helmet is likely well past it's 5 year recommended replacement date (though I don't log full time, so has not had as much UV exposure as a pro's helmet may see), so I'm nosing around for a new one anyway.

Do any of our forum sponsors carry this model?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Wow! MSRP of $130 on the Husqvarna Technical Forest Helmet.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: John Mc on October 07, 2015, 11:41:09 AM
Wow! MSRP of $130 on the Husqvarna Technical Forest Helmet.
Yup, pricey. I got mine for $80 U.S. on German ebay, brand new in the box. Sometimes it pays to work for a German owned business and have friends there....  ;)

John Mc

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on October 07, 2015, 11:55:44 AM
Yup, pricey. I got mine for $80 U.S. on German ebay, brand new in the box. Sometimes it pays to work for a German owned business and have friends there....  ;)

Local dealer wants $145 to order me one... they do not stock it. If I had a shot at one for $80, I make the jump. For $145, I'm not in so much of a rush.

BTW DeerMeadowFarm, where in Central MA are you? I have a brother in Shutesbury, and my Mother grew up in Worcester.

DeerMeadowFarm

Hi John - I'm in Warren, MA. About halfway between Worcester and Springfield. I grew up in Fiskdale which is a small part of Sturbridge.

Yes, $145 was too much for me as well. But a lot of forestry stuff comes out in Europe first it seems so I looked at Germany seeing as how I have friends and colleagues there. $80 was a buy-it-now price so my buddy jumped on it for me. My boss's boss (Uwe) is from Germany and is coming out here at the end of the month so he offered to mule it to me. It's not a problem for them because they usually want us to buy things in the US for them to take back with them so we always help each other out.

What I learned when I asked Uwe to bring it back for me is that his friend is the local Husqvarna dealer in his village so when he is here to visit I plan to see what else he can get me with his friend's discount!  ;D

petefrom bearswamp

At age nearly 78 ( on Friday) i have worked in the woods most of my adult life, not logging per se but doing a lot of woodlot improvement in my younger years.
I have been smacked 3 times that i can remember always with a hard hat on.
The last and most serious was in 1995 when I got hit on the head,glancing off on the right side  of my hard hat ripping the ear muff off  and driving my left leg into the ground, stunning me pretty good.
I was working only about 3/4 mile from my home so called my wife thank the lord for cell phones,   and she came home and took me to the hospital.
The upshot was I had a severe concussion and my left ACL was ruptured.
After surgery and recovery from the concussion I still cut my ow firewood and do a bit of Hemlock logging near my home for the sawmill.
I consider myself to be a safe worker, but stuff happens to the best of us.
I am not sure I should include myself in the best category.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

r.man

You really don't even have to be doing anything in the bush to be hurt. My friend was floored by a falling branch from a tree behind him on the other side of a farm road. His tree could not touch it and unless the vibration of the chainsaw managed to cause it to fall it came down just because. When you think of the amount of crap that falls from the sky in the woods even hikers should wear helmets.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

Hunters too!!! There have been many times that we hear a crash when we are outside and hear a branch fall. Sometimes we even get to see it fall.
Once we heard something and saw a pileated woodpecker take off and than we saw the branch hit the ground.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I have a ~30"+ Red Oak to drop tomorrow.  Helmet, chaps, and everything else that I can think of.

WV Sawmiller

Since joining this forum I now always wear my helmet when I cut a tree. I never used one before but have done other dumb things too. Also I find myself cutting some bigger trees to mill and I am scared of every one I cut on our steep hill sides and don't ever want to become complacent about them.

Right now I need to wear my hard hat in the yard till the walnuts and butternuts quit falling. We seem to have a record crop this year.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!