iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash trees stolen from State of Michigan

Started by Paschale, September 28, 2004, 11:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Just heard a report on the news that 40 logs infested with the emerald ash borer were stolen in Lansing.  Apparently, they'd been cut down to prevent the spread of the darn bug.  The state was going to remove and destroy the bark, then mill the wood into lumber.  The proceeds would have been given to the city of Lansing for the purpose of planting new trees.  

It's bad news on several accounts.  First, who knows how far those rustlers will travel with the logs, potentially spreading those pesky critters with them!  Plus, cities like Lansing need to replenish the many ash trees lining it's streets.  I find this all pretty disgusting.   >:(
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Ron Scott

I just heard that also. There's a $1,000.00 reward out for the culprits.
~Ron

rebocardo

They should make it $10,000 so whoever receives the logs would be tempted to turn them in. Then collect the money out of the criminal's hide and home.

Furby

Don't get to see the news much anymore, so I missed it.
Where were the logs?
I'm guessing someone just drove up and grabed the whole log???

Emrldashbr

Hello, yes they were the whole logs.  This was my site in Lansing during the removal.  I think 40 is a high number but the logs were very big.  The property was a small woodlot next to a school located in a neighborhood.  The trees in this woodlot average over 80 feet tall.  The loggers were eyeballing the cherry and oak trees but we kept them to only the ash.  The logs were stacked along the edge of the woods with the forwarder parked in the lot along side.  No access could be made to the logs from the wooded side.  The contractors Prentice loader was in the shop for repairs so the logs could not be hauled to our staging area until Monday.  Over the weekend someone came to this spot and took some of the logs.  They actually moved smaller logs aside to get to the largest logs.  Several houses had to be passed to get to the parking lot, also 4 houses back yards look on the spot where the logs were stacked.  No one we contacted heard or saw anything during the weekend.  None of the leads we recieved in regards to these logs have yet led us to them.  Some of the leads have led us to other violations and provided additional information for cases of quarantine violation we were already working on.  The city really lost out on what potential value these logs had.
Jereme
New exotic pest to watch for Phytopthora Ramorum.

rebocardo

Maybe a local daily paper newspaper could devote 1/8 of its front page for a reward ad and link it to a news story about the dangers of the borer pest. I think the city should offer $5k to up the stakes and then take it out of that person's hide, property, vehicle, and weekly paycheck. If they are poor and have no money, $5 a day prison detail. Bet the money would be found quick.

Thank You Sponsors!