iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with Tree & Leaf ID

Started by ReggieT, October 05, 2015, 01:39:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Visited a friends church and he was showing me some tree's he'd like for me to remove for him...cell phone was in the car and all I managed to do was to grab 3 different leaves from the accompanying tree's.
I'm still very fuzzy on tree ID...sure could use some expert help.

Thanks
Reg

curdog

1-  chestnut oak
2-?
3-southern red oak

WDH

1).  Swamp chestnut oak if the bark is very light gray and scaly like a white oak.  Chestnut oak if the bark is tight with deep fissures and no scales.

2).  Black Oak

3).  Yes.  Southern red oak.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ReggieT

I appreciate that.
Out of the 3 Oaks identified which one would you guys say has the highest BTU output?

beenthere

Quote from: ReggieT on October 05, 2015, 02:23:19 PM
I appreciate that.
Out of the 3 Oaks identified which one would you guys say has the highest BTU output?

The one(s) that are growing the fastest,... as fast growth will be higher density in the oaks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

They will all have very good BTU output.  Hard to go wrong with oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jemclimber

Danny,
Can you elaborate on #2.  I thought Black oak was a red oak (pointy leaves).  It's hard for me to tell from that picture but it looks like a white oak of some sort.  Help me out?
lt15

Jeff

It doesn't look much like our black oak leave here either.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Shade black oak leaves are very odd shaped.  This appears to be a black oak shade leaf.  In the South, they are shaped all over the map.  Sorta blobby and sometimes oval-shaped.

Check out this old thread. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,25171.msg359793.html#msg359793

ReggieT

Wow...that was an outstanding thread...thanks.

Jemclimber

Thank you so much and thanks for the link to the other thread!!!!
lt15

WDH

Interesting to go back and read the old thread and see the number of member then that are no longer active today. 

Jeff

Quote from: WDH on October 07, 2015, 07:42:59 AM
Interesting to go back and read the old thread and see the number of member then that are no longer active today.

---and also importantly, those that still are.... ;)

Magicman

And them that weren't......now is.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ReggieT

How about the number of members who've gone on to that "Higher Greener Forest?" 8) 8)

Jeff

That is a subject that I think about often. We know of several, but there are many I am sure we don't know about and never will.

ReggieT

Thank You Sponsors!