iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer parts

Started by sparks, September 28, 2004, 10:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

The company has changed their policy on selling parts to people who do not own a Wood-Mizer mill. They will now sell parts to any who wants them. If someone is building their own mill and likes some of our parts they can now purchase them. If they are building mills for resale they will not sell them parts. People have been asking for us to do this for a long time. FYI
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Bibbyman

How's that going to work when you sale  - let's say a debarker - and a guy puts it on his mill and it don't work right or he has to modify stuff and then it don't work right?

Is WM going to make things for other mills - say blade guide systems?  Lube-Mizer?, etc.?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Thanks for the info sparks!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sparks

All parts sold are going to be for Wood-Mizer mills only. We are not going to make parts for other mills. If someone buys a Debarker to put on a homemade mill or competetors mill, making it fit will be the owners issue. No tech support will be given for adaptation only for operation. Parts will most likely have a 30 day warranty (have not heard about that yet) as long as the alteration did not effect the part. We have sold Debarkers, Lube-Mizers, Roller guides, hydraulics etc.. and people have made them work. I don't see the mounting part as an issue unless it damages parts. Most people are very selective about what they buy. If installed properly it will work. Parts can be returned (if not installed or altered) but there will be a 15% restock fee. This has been requested for a long time and most people have researched the part to verify it would be able to fit their application.   Thanks all.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

RMay

Sparks was that you I talked to yesterday on the phone at Wood-Mizer  about a alternator problem on my mill .If it was I wont to thank you for your help. R. May ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

sparks

It was I and you are very welcome. Always here to assist.

shopteacher

Sparks,
The alternator seems not to be working on my  92 LT40.  I had it rebuilt about 2 years ago, but now the battery keeps discharging esp. when using the hyd. I had the battery checks and they said it was Ok.  Two years doesn't seem like a very long period for an alternator to last. It wasn't working when I got the mill.  I see where you can buy 100 and 140 amp alternators and was wondering if that would be better than the 85 amp on it now?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

chevymetal

It's good to see Woodmizer finally jump on board with helping sawmillers who don't always have the money to purchase a professionally built mill but do have the general knowledge to build one.  Cook's Saw has been doing this very thing for years.  They helped me several years ago with my Woodmizer and I retrofitted the Cooks part to my mill.  That's one of the biggest reasons I bought a Cook's Accu-trac after I sold my Woodmizer.  Good to see other companies do the same.
2003 Cook's Accu-trac AC-36
51hp Perkins Diesel
Cuttin' for a Livin'

sparks

Shopteacher, you can put a 105 amp on the mill. You have to file down the bracket a little but it will fit. We have our alternators specially build to get the amps we want by using different electronics not found in the aftermarket. It sells for $160.00.   Thanks

Bibbyman

We has one go out on our mill and the local parts store could not match the Delco numbers to get another.

Can the WM specail alternators be re-built by a local repair shop?  

Is there an "over the counter" model that would do - if you just had to have one?

I guess what I'm asking is.. what's so specail about the WM alternator?
Sawing since '94

Buzz-sawyer

Bib
I know your question was not directed towards me...........but I have pretty good experience with rebuilding, modifying for different voltages, and converting alternators to run differently both in AC and DC output.
So here goes to all interested.......As long as the alternator will fit in the bracket it will work....now the second point will it have enough amperage output to run your stuff.....If it is a delco type and is more than 60 amp or more it will run A LOT of stuff...
At the same time headlights, windows power seats wipers fan motors electronic ignition, computer components....

So what is the amp load on yopur mill? Probably just to start and recharge? Is any of the power up down electric ....calculate the amp load...get the appropriate size....

The truth is a single wire type delco alternator will work on ANY 12v system ...all self contained, a voltage regulator and diodes are inside the alternator....pure simplicity to hook up and use.... and auto zone sells one with a life time replacement for $25  (that maybe 1 year?)....
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Bibbyman

I asked Sparks the other day what it would take to replace the alternator and battery with an 110AC/12DC converter.   I thought maybe something like they use in campers would work.  He said it'd have to put out up to 600AMPS :o

The 12v system on the WM LT40HDE25 Super does a lot of stuff - 2 HD pumps,  3 heavy motors on the debarker, up/down, forward/back,  couple 3-4 more small ones that do this and that.
Sawing since '94

Kevin_H.

hey Bib's...
We just replace the alt on our WM, we got it from autozone and it ran about 75 smackers and that was for the one year I think...

This is the second one we have put on, they seem to last about 3 years or so...

Of course when you walk into auto zone and tell them you need an alt, the first thing they ask is...What did it come off of?
Well a 97 woodmizer sawmill...Kind of neat to watch there eyes cross :D

We opened a lot of boxes before finding the right one and we did have to change the pulley,

I dont know if yours and mine run the same alt but I have the autozone number if ya need it.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

woodmills1

I also replaced my alternator by taking to an auto parts store.  I think it falls in the GM family and though it was a few years ago I thought it was inexpensive.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

I've had the; "What's it off'n? question asked so many times I cringe when I take a simple component in to find a replacement.    Back when we had WM stuff with Onan engines,  I'd say a JD lawn mower because I knew a lot of them had Onan engines.

This not only happens with sawmills and other special equipment – it also happens with regular auto parts.   I went in and ask for some wiper blades for our 93 Dakota. Guy working the computer went down the list of questions - manufacture, year of manufacture, model, etc.  But I never knew why they had to ask "4cyl, V6, or V8" and then 2WD or 4WD.  I answered, but had to ask,  what possible difference could it make what engine or drive train the truck has to what wiper blade I need?   All they could say is – "I don't know but we got to give it these answerers before it'll give us the part number."

There is one parts store in town that does some re-build work.  They have some ol'time parts guys that can look at something and find something that can repair or replace it.

It's never as easy as you'd think it should be. ::)

Sawing since '94

MULE_MAN

Kevin H

What amp Alternator were you able to get at AutoZone  ?? The Auto Zone we have in town
I never had much luck with .  Try to buy a new oil filter for the 25 hp Kohler & they kept telling
me that was a bad number.  ???  I called my sister up in Desota Mo.  they have a small engine
shop. I told her what I need. Told me she ship it out that day . In 3 days I had a box with 2
Kohler oil filter. Pretty good here's a guy looking at a computer telling me that's a bad  number
She tells me the number off the top of her head . All she ask for number , is it a S01 or S02
I told her S01 .   Well at least I got a family discount out of it . ;D ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Fla._Deadheader

Sparks, that's good news. We tried to get some WM parts and was refused. We DO have a WM customer #. I rigged up all the stuff to make our mill work. The WM policy should help folks with mechanical stuff, but, I doubt the Electronics will work out. ;D

I use the local Starter-Alternator rebuild shop. They have to know what they are doing, and are very helpful. Gave $100.00 for a 105 Amp Delco, and it works great. They changed the pulley to a regular "A" sheave. No extra cost. When I walk in with a problem, I get immediate attention, and they fix while I wait. That's THEIR Policy. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sparks

The alternators we use are Delco alternators just not built by Delco. Delco supplies the parts to a local builder and he assembles them. Delco does not want to build an alternator just for our mills.
Automobile alternators do not run at 80% to 90% full amp output with the engine running. We do and that needs beefer parts to accomplish this. The problem with that high and amp is when you shut the mill off there is built up voltage that needs to go somewhere and it ussually goes to the rectifier or regulator and zaps them. We have a clamping diode added to the build proccess to stop this. Automobile alternators do not use this. Those are the differences between the ones we use and aftermarket ones.   Thanks all.

MULE_MAN

Thanks Allot Spark  8)

I always wonder what the deal was on the WM Alternator and
never knew what the different was.  ???

Now I know the rest of the story  8)

Thanks again Mule_Man

Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

shopteacher

Sparks,
    Is there a rebuild kit available for the WM alternator or are rebuilt alternators available from WM?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

sparks

Most our alternators are new. Every now and then we have a few rebuilts. When ordering ask if any are available. Any rebuild shop, who can get the Delco parts, can get the parts used in ours. The numbers are on the parts. It will have to be ordered from Delco.

Kirk_Allen

Bibbyman,
I know what you mean with all the questions that have nothing to do with what you want.

Reminds me of a stop at Dairy Queen.

I asked for a large ice cream cone.

The response I got was: For here or to go?

I asked if I get it to go, how is it different than if I get it for here?

Response:  Sir, if you get it for here then your going to eat it hear.  If its to go then you eat it away from here.

I told her I understand that, but what does WHERE I eat the ice cream cone have to do with the way your going to make it?

Response: I don't know how else to explain it sir.  If it to go then you leave and eat it and if its for here you stay and eat it.  I don't know why you don't understand that?

Boy was she lost.  Everyone in line was dying laughing.

Kevin_H.

MULE_MAN,
I'm not sure how many amps the alt is... :P

Seems to work ok...The last one was still charging, but the bearing on the back side went out. Makes a really back noise when all that stuff on the inside starts rubbing together.  ;D

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

starmac

Glad to see this, we just had this discussion in a different thread a month or so ago, and the general consensus was you had to have proof you were a woodmier owner to buy any parts.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

beenthere

starmac
This thread is over 11 yrs now...
Not sure how it relates to the recent discussion.. are you suggesting it negates the "part buying" consensus?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

starmac

Ha, did not notice it was that old, but it does bring up the question. Did they used to have a policy of not selling to non owners, change it to where anyone could buy, then change it back to no nonowners?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!