iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Suggestions needed...

Started by jeff, February 15, 2001, 06:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I have been asked to do a seminar at the 2001 Michigan Association of Timbermen's convention in April. It will be about basic computer usage to include the internet.

Any suggestions for topics to include in such a discussion?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I assume you are talking about the use of computers in business.

The basics that can be used is spreadsheets and word processing.  I use spreadsheets to keep track of daily production and down time.  I know how much I saw every day, which species, and how much downtime and what causes it.  

Spreadsheets can also be used for accounting, timber sale volume calcs, and anything that needs to be counted or figured.

Word processing can be used for contracts and ordinary correspondence.

From the Internet side, it is both a communication and research tool.  Forums are great to see what is happening outside your own little world.  It is a great place to get ideas and to see how well your perceptions hold up, especially under fire.

I also use the net for billing purposes.  Look at how we got the toolbox up and running due to a ways of communicating.  

I have researched everything from mill equipment to forest management.  There is just a ton of free information from legitimate sources.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

actually, yes and no, its not really for business Per say. It is true that most of the Timbermens membership use computers in business, but they are run by the employee's. There are a lot of owners and their spouses out there that know nothing about even turning a computer on, and are scared to try. This class is for them, and those that are just getting started. Many people only know how to check their e-mail and that is it.

Gordon

Tough one I've just figured out how to turn this thing on.:D
Bookmarking, downloading, how to add c tags, anti virus, firewalls, boot disks, rescue disks just to name a few. But when it comes to the magic boxes I'm not the one to tell anyone anything but those are just a few ideas, off the top of my head.

You want to keep it interesting so they don't fall asleep.???  But don't go so deep that they leave with glazed eyes.
Gordon

Texas Ranger

Man, sign em up on About.com and here, they will get all the education they need!:)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bill Johnson

I would tell them it is important not be afraid to the computer and to make sure take time to play the machine and to learn what a computer can do.
It's fine to take all kinds of specialized courses but if your afraid to explore or make mistakes then you really don't learn anything.
alt+ctrl+del can save you if you get in to far over your head.
Bill
Bill

Jeff

Right on Bill! (Glad to see you back). That is exactly how I plan to start out the seminar. The computer is no more then a fancy filing cabinet with a built in calculator.

L. Wakefield

I would add that it is the world's biggest and most fascinating library- including many works-in-progress.          LW
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

Here is my basic outiline for my Basic computer use seminar for Timbermen's on the 26th of April.

1. Introduction, including some basic terminolgy
2. What do I need in a computer?
3. Turning the computer on.
4.Turning it off!
5. The Desktop and start menu
6. The mouse and it's functions.
7. What are windows and how do they function?
8. My Computer, what's in there?
9. Files and Folders, what they are, where they
 are, how to make them, save them and most
importantly FIND them!
10. Control panel, what's in there?
11. Programs.
12. Virus information.
13 Maintainance of system (system tools)
14. Copy, paste, drag and drop functions.
 Sharing files and information between applications.

Questions??

Internet

1. Getting connected, ISP's
2. Email
3. Surfing the net... Start pages and search engines
4. Bookmarks
5. Downloading
Questions??

The class will include a Handout that includes a 3and1/2" diskette with some nifty things on it. If any of you are interested in the floppy, I can zip it together and put it someplace for you to download and look at.

RavioliKid

That sounds like an awfully ambitious lesson plan.

Just how long is the seminar?

One other thing I might include is "fun stuff". You could include your forum and Steve's in there.

Knock 'em dead!

8)
RavioliKid

Bill Johnson

I think you just about covered the whole gambit with your lesson plan.
Hope you have a very appreciative group of folks at the seminar.

I'd be interested in the floppy material. There are a few folks in the village where I live that haven't had too much experience with computers and sometimes ask for advice, perhaps this might just be the item that gets them over the hump.

Good luck and make sure you let us know how it went.

Bill

Bill

Jeff

I have spent today trying to finish up the diskette handout for my seminar. I will zip it up and post the address later this evening. Please download it and give me your thoughts.  The Diskette is not meant to be a rehash of the seminar, but kind of a bonus for attending.

Jeff

Tom

Jeff,

Two important things that a new computer user should be aware of is "backup" and "don't change ORIGIONAL data".  Before any changes to data are saved, this should be the first question one asks himself. "what am I wiping out?"

Jeff

absolutely! That is one thing that I will cover in "what do I need in a computer" there is no reason with prices now a days of not having a cdr to backup everything! The days of just having a floppy drive to save things on are long gone.

RavioliKid

I was unable to open the file. I got some sort of error message - something like "does not start with %"

RavioliKid

Gordon

Rav Kid, it comes zipped do you have winzip?
I had a problem close to that with the leaf game. Wouldn't open right deleted it and downloaded again and all was a-ok.

Jeff, that is a great takehome peice. The wife loves hangman. Should have never let her see that one she stole the computer from me last night and wouldn't give it back.

On the serious side that should really come in handy for alot of people. Me being one of them THANKS ;D

Gordon

Jeff

I sorta hacked into the hangman game, look for my name in the celeb categorie, and timber buyers in corporations! My apoligies to the author of the game, but I couldnt resist. You may have to play a long time to find it though, cause there are THOUSANDS of games in that small file!

Tom

That's a good idea to discuss the hardware available for backups but I think that the more important topic is the "discipline". The easier the software guys make it for us, the sloppier we become.  We, me included, are quick to blame the computer, the programmer, the phase of the moon or anything but ourselves. Following and understanding time honored disciplines protects us from us.

If your talk can actually get them to think about what they are doing then they may understand what's going on and one day remember the guy who gave them the rules.

Tom

Dad gummit, I downloaded that seminar file and have been playing with the talk software and hangman till it's past my bedtime. Wife got upset and went to bed, I've got to work tomorrow........what was I talking about........disciplines?

Jeff

The seminar is a basic class. The floppy was designed to give help and build interest in the things a computer can do.

Many of our Timber Industry people simply know nothing about computers, or are scared to use them other then very basic stuff.

Tom

RavioliKid

I don't know if I have winzip.

How would I be able to find out? Is there a place to download it from?

RavioliKid

Jeff

Rav,

Send me your snail mail address, and I will send you the actual materials I put together for the class, including the Floppy.

You can get an unregistered functional version of winzip from www.winzip.com.

Well, I have been told by everyone involved that the computer class went extremely well. There was also alot of interest at our display for the Timber Buyers Network.

But to top off the convention, last night at the main banquet and meeting. The director of The Michigan Association of Timbermen, Peter Grieves, told us during his opening speech, that there was a new presence in the Michigan Timber Industry, and a new player in our future. He then proceeded to introduce me, I would say, to over 500 attending members. It was totally unexpected, and I about fell on the floor when he asked me to stand. After that he went on about what I had been doing for MAT, Mfra and here, but I was so stunned I don't remember much of what he said!

Gordon

As Timberbeast would say DAGNABIT where is a tape recorder when you need it. Congrats, it's nice to be recognized in front of your peers for all of your hard work.

Something tells me that your going to get alot more members from MI. in the near future, just think of all the knowledge that can be shared.  :)

Great job Jeff
Gordon

Thank You Sponsors!