iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NY or PQ fall pictures? Anyone?

Started by Grizzly, October 03, 2015, 02:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly

In the past when I was a long haul trucker I would get through NY state and the Province of Quebec and get to see the fall colours. I haven't seen anything from that area in some years. I need to travel or get some help from FF friends!
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

red

I am in the Pocono Mountains PA and there is not much color yet
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Dave Shepard

It's just starting here. Mostly the hybrid swamp maples in people's yards.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Grizzly

I can wait. I thought I'd ask now as I wasn't sure when it started. Our colours are almost finished and the leaves are coming down. None of my summer projects got done and now winter is here...........well, almost here. :(

WV Sawmiller

Griz,

Once when I was between overseas assignments for a while I drove a truck and remember driving through upstate NY and seeing all the yellow grape leaves with big purple clumps of ripe grapes but nobody was picking them so I got on the CB and asked if there was a picker's strike or something. Another trucker got on and said "Man, they don't pick them by hand any more. Those grapes are being used for jelly or wine and they have a corkscrew looking attachment that fits on the front of a tractor they pick them with." The vines were on single wires sort of like clothesline between short posts and I guess the attachment slipped over the wire and stripped the grapes off without doing excessive damage to the vines. I suspect table grapes are still picked by hand. I also learned from a co-worker in Iraq who had a blueberry farm in NC just outside the USMC base at Camp Lejeune that they had a picker that straddled the bushes and "tickled" the berries to pick them. It is amazing what they can think of.

Anyway, our Fall foliage here in southern WV is off to a decent start but I am afraid the leaves are going to go from green to gone if this rain keeps up.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

The colors have started in this area, but nowhere near peak yet!

My 2 sons and their families are going for a ride today, down to the Adirondack Museum at Blue Mountain Lake.

Up in the mountains, the foliage should be well ahead of this area!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Nothing much here. The bog area is all red,but not the hills.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JIM GORMLEY

I'm in Poughkeepsie ny, and its still a sea of green here.
I live with fear and danger. On the weekends,I leave her and go wild boar hunting.

isawlogs

Fall colours are here, but not the best colours I have seen by a long shot. I think it was the heat we have been getting that has the colours all screwed up.  ::) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

coxy

I must live in the wrong part of ny our ash leaves are mostly gone with a lot of soft maple   the hard maples are yellow

dgdrls

Quote from: JIM GORMLEY on October 04, 2015, 08:26:03 AM
I'm in Poughkeepsie ny, and its still a sea of green here.

Jim as I recall you should start seeing some colors soon??

its Been 26 years since I left the Putnam, Dutchess Ulster area's.
Beautiful region especially along the Hudson Highlands between
Peekskill and Beacon as well as north of Poughkeepsie.

Dan

thecfarm

The pictures did not come the best. I should of taken one of the bog.

This is Quill Hill. Some one had it logged than they turned it into a private road for people to enjoy the view.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

A couple more from Quill Hill

Grizzly

We had some poplars going a red colour right at the tops with the standard yellow/orange lower down but that is sort of strange for them. You folks have trees that give that very rich red colour and that is what I see in the one pic by the road. What tree gives that? Or are there several that do? Those rich colours is what I miss. Thanks cfarm.

(I learned colour not color and I refuse to accept spellchecks correction!) :))

thecfarm

I really don't know what kind of maples those are. They sure look nice.As I said I should of taken some of the meadow. Those really show some red color,but are long gone now. That flooded area ia always a couple weeks earlier than the upland ones.
Here's 2 taken right out my front door.

Magicman

:)  You have a pretty front door view.  Now about those rocks.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!