iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

High Voltage!

Started by 4x4American, October 03, 2015, 10:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Since my mill is setting still while I recuperate I like to go up to it every so frequent like and start it up and run it for a little bit.  I had the diagnostic screen up to watch the battery voltage to make the difference between the controller and the batt wasn't too far apart.  Well while I was doing that I was running the head back and forth.  I noticed that when going backwards, once you get it up to speed, and let off the drum switch, the volts will rise pretty good size.  The voltage would rise to 16V as the headrig slows down.  I'm guessing it must be spinning the motor, acting like a generator?  It doesn't seem to do it when I'm going forward.  But I think that could be because I slow it down with the potentiometer instead of just killing the forward travel with the drum switch.  How do you stop your head when it's going forward (pot. switch or drum switch)?

I also noticed that when I hit the drum switch into reverse, it twists the head a bit, I can see the engine pick up, and it seems that only in cases where I used the accuset's rounding feature to get the head to the nearest whole number, it will sometimes rise 1/16" from the back to the front of the mill.  Prolly somethings just loose.  Anyone run into this before?
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I would say that you are correct.  When you release the drum switch with the power feed motor spinning, it should then become a generator until it stops.

When you reverse the entire 12vdc is applied in reverse to the power feed motor, and when the power hits the chain/gears, there is tremendous torque.  I have never noticed any lift, but I have never looked for it either.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Yea I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.  I am kinda sorta really way the hell too meticulous lol
Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

Sell the excess back to WM!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

That's a good idea!!!  lol
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on October 03, 2015, 08:54:33 PMI would say that you are correct.  When you release the drum switch with the power feed motor spinning, it should then become a generator until it stops.
The above is not correct.  After thinking, the drum switch puts a shunt (short) across the motor winding which serves as the brake to stop the rearward movement.  Since the motor is shunted it can not serve as a momentary generator in this instance.

I have no idea where your 16 voltage spike is coming from unless maybe your drum switch contacts are not properly making.  Does your saw head stop instantly or coast to a stop?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

It doesn't stop immediatly, but there is a braking effect going on.  You can tell theres something holding it up.  Also, if it's going forward, pretty fast, and I flip the drum swtch to neutral, it stops faster than if I kill the pot switch, then it coasts to a stop.  I always figured it was a brake that wm integrated.  Is it bad to be hitting the computer with 16v?  I wonder if thats why my first control panel fried?
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

I will summon @MartyParsons for his expertise!
Boy, back in my day..

MartyParsons

I do not have an answer. I know you can not push the saw head easily with the wires on the PF motor because of dynamic braking. If I need to push the saw head during service I remove the wires. Even if the motor was generating DC current I would not expect it to be 16V. I never looked at the voltage with the motor coasting.
Sparks would be the expert on that.

The movement on jerking the saw head is from the clearance of the pads on the mast. I would not worry about it. It will not effect lumber.

4x4 You need to heal and saw some lumber or have something else to think about.  :).

If you have time come down to our training day in a few weeks. I will post later in the places to meet show ect.   

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Percy

JUst a thought about the momentary 16 volts....could it be the internal regulator in your alternator reacting a bit slowly to load changes on the system???
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

4x4American

not a bad thought percy.  I just went and watched my friend 40 super running, his head jerks to a stop when comig back, whereas mine glides.  something must be wrong!  i do need to heal up marty im going crazy!!!  sawmill fever!!
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

will call rick lauman monday
Boy, back in my day..

deadfall

Since I got the worn out cam follower rollers sorted out, my carriage simply glides on return with no inkling of any braking mechanism.  I can push it backwards with one finger when the drum switch is not activated.  I assumed this was normal.  I have learned to get off the switch way ahead of where I want the carriage to end up. 

So, I guess I have to get this sorted as well.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

4x4American

same here I get off the switch way before where i want it to stop.  When I was watching my friends mill in action, it would stop almost as soon as he let off the drum switch. 
Boy, back in my day..

ladylake

I'd be checking those cam followers if I was him.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Quote from: 4x4American on October 04, 2015, 04:47:15 PM
same here I get off the switch way before where i want it to stop.  When I was watching my friends mill in action, it would stop almost as soon as he let off the drum switch.
As it should.  The drum switch shunt applies some serious braking as noted in Marty's reply above.  Removing a motor lead is normal practice during blade guide alignment, etc.

4x4American

They never should have stopped testing the new mills at Indy, imo.
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Just call Indy and let the tech walk you through the testing.  At this point I do not know that anything is wrong with your sawmill.  You should be able to remove a motor wire and look back for a short, but they would know for sure.

Kbeitz

You could a broken or disconected shunt...
Any DC PM motoer will work as a generator when the shaft is turned.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

deadfall

Wouldn't this shunt/brake work in both directions when the switch is at center?  While I can push the head backwards easily, forward is a different story.  I have to lean into it to move it forward.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Kbeitz

Maybe not if there is a diode in the circut...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

or if your mill is not level lol
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

The shunt "brakes" both ways, forward and back.

4x4American

Where should I start looking?  I don't know what a shunt is or what it looks like when it comes to electrical!
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

A shunt is a short.  Since shorts are associated with trouble or an abnormality, an intended short is called a shunt.  The two motor leads should read a short if one lead is disconnected from the motor.  This is with the power feed lever in the "neutral" position.

Thank You Sponsors!