iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A good case against outdoor weddings in Western National Parks

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 02, 2015, 09:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

First my wife fell and broke her nose (again) the day before the wedding while looking with our daughter for a good spot at the lake at Many Glaciers in Glacier National Park in Montana. Then five minutes after the wedding ceremony the picture below was taken.

I am concerned my brand new SIL is ahead of my daughter instead of staying behind to protect his new bride. Fortunately the bear was an unattached sow and when my daughter threw her bridal bouquet over her shoulder the bear stopped to catch it and stopped the chase.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Now that is funny right there no matter who your are. (old saying)   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

POSTON WIDEHEAD

No wonder he was ahead of her....look! She only has 1 leg.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

That's what those long dresses do to you. Was so cold and windy up there she said she was about to re-think that sleeveless dress.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

I wanna know who took the picture?  Must've been a fast runner, to be able to stop and take a picture lol
Boy, back in my day..

samandothers

Don't have to be the fastest runner... just don't want to be the slowest!

sandhills

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

sawguy21

I bet they both had to change before the reception. :D Fortunately for all concerned the bear was unattached and apparently used to being around humans.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

346xp

Quote from: samandothers on October 03, 2015, 10:16:53 AM
Don't have to be the fastest runner... just don't want to be the slowest!
LOL That's a good one 8)

pine

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Sam&,

Like we used to say "Why to you carry a dive knife for protection from sharks when scuba diving? If a shark gets after you just stab your dive buddy in the leg and swim away while the sharks eat him."

4X4,

The wedding photographer took the picture. Fortunately he did not use a flash to distract the bear from his intended targets.

Pine,

Whatever could you be implying? They all look fine to me.

MM,

And everything else.
Howard Green

Just Me

Ya. I would have to wonder about that SIL as well, but I think I have one just like him.

I was a tour guide in Glacier in my early 20's, but never had any problems with bears. Many areas of the park are closed already because of the snow. I was in a good snowstorm on the fourth of July up there.

Great picture and kudos to your daughter for thinking to throw the flowers. Where were you?

Larry

Brucer

Well now.

The first thing you (should) learn when you live in bear country is how to recognize what species the bear is. When you meet one, what you need to do depends on whether it's a black bear (which is the name of the species, not the colour of the bear) or a grizzly bear.

That's a grizzly. Long, light coloured claws that resemble fingers, smallish ears close to the skull, hump on the shoulders, and big.

But not that big :D :D :D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Banjo picker

Yea if those are normal size folks, that bear must be 8 foot at the shoulder.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Brucer

8 feet at the shoulder is about right for a very large male grizzly -- if it's standing upright on its hind legs :D :D.

Shoulder height when it's on all fours is about 4 feet.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

SwampDonkey

Since it was in glaciers, maybe it was a pre-historic bear. Everything is much bigger where it's cold, didn't you guys know that? :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

4x4American

Actually you're wrong that's a Brown-Kogrizlar, the product of a sow who was sleeping around.  They're about 8' to the shoulder when on all fours, 15' when on their hind legs.  They are what horses aspire to be hung like.  They have to eat 450lbs of meat a day just to be able to maintain their girlish figure.  They also like to fish for salmon, go for long walks on the beach, and enjoy candlight suppers...err..eating people who are having candlelight suppers.  They are no match for the average joe, or anybody named joe.  A hit from a .45-70 may or may not go unnoticed by our friend, the Brown-Kogrizlar.  The only thing that can outrun one is Ole Slew Foot.
Boy, back in my day..

WDH

Quote from: Banjo picker on October 03, 2015, 09:47:44 PM
Yea if those are normal size folks, that bear must be 8 foot at the shoulder.  Banjo

Must be a Texas Bear.  Everything is ........... well, you know  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Red,

I was off to the side reading the directions on my can of bear spray and trying to determine which direction was upwind - you know you don't want to have that stuff blow back in your face. Shotgun- really!

They had problems later in their trip because they took a pack of last year's venison jerky (More bear bait) with them to Canada and forgot to declare it on their way in then when they went to leave the Canucks wanted to see their hunting license - evidently a requirement when you try to leave Canada with deer meat. They finally talked their way through it.

I had a similar problem entering Saudi one time when I was working there by coming in with a pack of catnip for a female co-worker with a pet cat over there. They were reluctant to believe that was really what was in that little baggy.
Howard Green

samandothers

Maybe the bear is a misplaced Kodiak.  Jimmy Buffet has a song about a Kodiak looking fella about 19' tall!   ;D :D

Of course in the song he may be a bit inebriated!

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!