iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why would I have so many SYP trees with cat face?

Started by flatrock58, October 01, 2015, 11:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

I have been fighting turpentine beetles for a few years now.  I have noticed that most of the trees dying have some severe damage to the trunk.  I have heard it referred to as cat face.   What is the cause of so much damage?   The pictures are of trees with scars near the ground, but many are much higher in the tree.  I have owned the property for 20 years and it does not look like it was logged in the last 40+ years.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

WDH

That is fusiform rust canker, caused by a fungus Cronartium fusiforme.  It is a fungus.  Spores land on the pine and infect the stem.  The trees are more susceptible when very young, so you tend to see a lot of the cankers on the butt log.  Oak is the alternate host for the fungus.  Here is some info.

http://www.forestry.state.al.us/fusiform_rust.aspx?bv=3
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

flatrock58

Thanks WDH.  I have been trying to figure that out for a while.  Probably 30-50% of my trees are affected.  Seems to be the ones being killed by beetles the most.  Don't get too many good logs after cutting out the bad sections.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!