iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Everybody needs a box

Started by Larry, October 01, 2015, 03:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I drug home a Powermatic chain mortiser a while back.  The machine came with a few loose parts and I thought I would store them in a box to keep from loosing them.  A quick search did not find a suitable box.  But I'm a woodworker so I should be able to make one without too much effort.

I have a dovetail jig that can also make finger joints.  To much trouble to get it out and go through all the adjustments just for one box.  Same logic about my tablesaw finger joint jig.  Shouldn't take much to make a new jig.

The new jig.

The router I used was one that has been gathering dust for a few years so I'll leave it attached to the jig.  The jig has a couple of nice features.  Doesn't take much room and I can leave it sat up and ready to cut box joints at any time.  Probably put it on the shelf when not in use.

If you made it this far, here is the box. 

Actually it was so much fun I couldn't stop with just one box. 

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ljohnsaw

NICE boxes!
I'd like to see more pictures of the jig.  I have an old router sitting around that could be dedicated to a task.  I don't quite understand the PVC handle thing.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

That box on the left looks mighty diffeant. Good job!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lowpolyjoe

Great stuff!  Nicer than the jewelry box I been trying to make for my wife for the last 2 years. lol :D

But it makes me cringe to see a router bit so close to a piece of metal    :o

Larry

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 01, 2015, 03:34:38 PM
I'd like to see more pictures of the jig.  I have an old router sitting around that could be dedicated to a task.  I don't quite understand the PVC handle thing.

The PVC is just a pipe to a dust collector.  Basically its a small sled sitting on a router table.  Only needs to move about an inch.  The work piece indexes on the pin.  Couple more pics may make it more clear.

I was going to have a video of the operation as its pretty slick how nice it works.  First two attempts I cut the wrong piece.  Third attempt was perfect....except I pushed the wrong button to turn on the camera.  Hence no video.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Bill Gaiche

Very nice. When you get the box bug, you go nuts..... bg

Kcwoodbutcher

Larry, you have way too much time on your hands.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

hackberry jake

I love finger joints. I actually like they way they look better than dovetails. And they're stronger than dovetails. Easier, stronger, win, win.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Just Me

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 02, 2015, 12:20:02 AM
I love finger joints. I actually like they way they look better than dovetails. And they're stronger than dovetails. Easier, stronger, win, win.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have never had to fix one of my box joint drawers, and I can not say the same about my dovetailed drawers. The drawers in my big bench are made of poplar, box joints, and overloaded to the max, and have not had one failure in 20+ years of abuse. But..... people want dovetails.

Larry, nice boxes! And a cool jig. I have a setup that goes on my slider but have been thinking of a rig like yours for all the same reasons. I really like the round pin idea. I have mine made out of Jatoba for wear, and square with a champher, but I like your idea better.

Brad_bb

Have you considered Kaizen foam to go in the box?  The stuff is awesome and can be easily cut to fit stuff securely.  I did my whole tool box in it, and it keeps it clean and organized and I can always find what I'm looking for.
https://youtu.be/dwe0QEvG1ew
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Larry

I have used the Kaizen foam in larger boxes for big boy toys.  Not sure what I would use it for in the small boxes.

It is pretty neat stuff as is most of the stuff from Fastcap.

Thank You Sponsors!