iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fish story

Started by rvrdivr, September 27, 2004, 06:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvrdivr

My neighbor has approached me and asked what I would charge to cut up a BIG cedar. I was told it was 4 feet high laying on the ground and 15 feet long. This would be in NE Florida. I will not have a chance to look this Big Fish over until tomorrow evening, but I bet it will mysteriously shrink over night. I have never seen a cedar that big here.

Non the less, I would like to ask, what would be a fair price to charge my neighbor to cut up a cedar log? I will have to load it onto my DanG log loading trailer, haul it 100 miles to my mill, then saw it up. They are willing to help also.

Thanks, Brian

DanG

Can't tell you what to charge. I guess you'd figure time and expenses for the hauling, plus your regular sawing fee. Depends on how well you like your neighbor, eh?

It might be that big, on the big end. I've got some almost that big laying in my yard, waiting for the customer to get in touch.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

rebocardo

Since the IRS only pays about $0.35 a mile, I would recover at least all the mileage plus $10 an hour.

rvrdivr

Sine I have only cut for myself so far, I do not know the going rate to charge. I think I saw in a past thread some of you were charging 20 cents a BF?  Do any of you charge per hour?

This neighbor is a good guy and I thought maybe half the wood would be a fair deal?

Thanks again :)

beenthere

Years ago, when I found 'free' wood (some standing, some bulldozed in piles to make way for a road) and had a friend who had the sawmill and the log truck and tractor to get it out, his deal was 1/2 the wood for logging and sawing equipment, and we would split the remaining half between us. I thought that was a fair deal and helped with the logging, sawing, stacking.
The wood remained air drying until 3 years later when I built my house, at which time all the flooring, trim, door jambs, and 1K sq. ft. of panelling were made. I couldn't afford even a chain saw so that 10,000 bf of 'free' red oak was a big boost for me. Once more, I learned a lot from the experience.

Splitting wood for payment is not easy, as their is 'quality' involved. If one sorts it into two piles, and the other picks which pile he wants, seems the best way to do it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

Yep, they DO get that big.  ;) ;D ;D

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Paul_H

Harold,
I tend to be a little suspicious but to me,it looks like Ed is trying nonchalantly to push that tree over into the swamp so it can be salvaged.

Or is it just a leaner?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Fla._Deadheader

He better not push too hard. There are (were) power lines right behind them trees.

Had a garbage truck driver fried yesterday, in Ft. Pierce. A hot primary was hanging low and when they drove under it, it (supposedly) blew a tire and set the tire on fire ???::) ::)

They all jumped clear, then the driver went back to the truck for his personal stuff. Grabbed the door handle, and, Poof  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

rvrdivr

Man...I hate that when that happens :o

Well the guy never showed to go get the cedar. As I though....another fish story.  ;)

woodbeard

Actually, if you look closely, Eddie is valiantly preventing the tree from falling on the power lines. Either that, or I need to level my computer. :D

rvrdivr

Well the guy finally came through and we got to get some cedar after all. He wanted one log and his neighbor had laid claim to another. For all my efforts, I got three of the logs, one being the biggest.
Here are the logs after I got them to my property. These were two tree's. One was pretty much cut up but the other we had to cut through limbs and vines to get it out. I was rewarded with the worst case of poison ivy I have ever gotten  :)

Below is a pic of how I unload most of my logs. I use a 15ft or 20ft tow strap for this. It's fast and easy and no heavy chains to mess with.

DanG

Them's some nice looking cedar logs there, Brian, but they ain't 48 inches unless that peavy's got a 12' handle. :D  Fish do tend to shrink when you gottem on the stringer, don't they?  ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Them Swamp Cedars or Upland ??? Got some REAL nice color.  ;) ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

CHARLIE

Is that an old Oliver?
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

DanG

Naw, Charlie. That's a new Oliver. Couldn't be more than 30-40 years old.  ;D

rvrdivr

That's right, that is an old 1974 Oliver 1655 with a John Deere loader. What a great tractor that's been. I haven't seen any others down this way. Must be a rare antique huh? ;) Good eye Charlie ;)

FDH, that was in the area of Ponta Vedra (St.Johns County) or North East Florida right next to the intercoastal water way. It was in an area that the Army Corps of Engineers used to deposit what it dug for the waterway back in the 40's. It is literaly a cedar forest in there. Lots of big boy's but non 4 foot in diameter. Maybe next year :)
Also, It looks bright and shiny due to a fresh wax job to seal the ends.

Fla._Deadheader

Brian, I'm looking at the thin sapwood ring. That stuff brings pretty good bucks, if it's clear. A clear 1" X 12" will bring $1.00 an inch. ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

rvrdivr

Fla._Deadheader

WooHoo h3ll. It better be CLEAR.  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

customsawyer

I have tried to cut wood on halves before always end up with short half don't cut that way anymore if I cut I charge. Hate to be that way but charity don't feed kids to good.  I usually charge $.30 per foot on good cedar like that and $80.00-$95.00 per hour for myself, truck, trailer, tractor, sawmill and my hired help. I know about those big fish stories had one the other day went and looked at a big red oak and it was bigger than he had told me it was. Ended up its two trees grown together from the root and they are both 48" one way and about 30" the other way going to cut it this week hope to get some pictures for show and tell.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!