iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Native Yellow Pine VS. Loblolly

Started by CCC4, September 30, 2015, 10:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

I just finished up a Game and Fish job today, on my unit the average marked timber was 24" and was Native Yellow pine. Loads were running 25 log average to have the truck at 88 (onboard scales). So adjoining LO got us to thin a set of planted Loblolly...same diameter average although a little shorter. Our loads increased to 45 log average just to get 87.

So, im taking it that such close proxemety timber, nearly same specs, same soil...and Loblolly comes in that much lighter? Right outside this new little strip is a set of Native Yellow and I quickly noticed a difference in the total amount of rosin on the butted limbs. The pine smell was nearly 2x as pungent than in the planted pine. I told my boss I bet him that the Native goes back to 25 logs...they just smell heavier! Lol!

I'm sure that the age difference would be within 10 or 15 years, and I;m saying this on the Native probably grew slower and the Loblolly had just caught them.

I know that I'm just rattleing but that is a substantial weight difference IMO

WDH

Your native yellow is shortleaf.  Loblolly has been introduced there because it grows much faster.  Therefore, there is more of the thin walled earlywood cells (the light colored wood in the annual ring) in the annual ring versus the denser latewood (dark colored wood in the annual ring).  Since the earlywood is less dense, and since there is more of it than the latewood in fast growing loblolly, the loblolly weighs less per unit volume than the native shortleaf pine. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

treeslayer2003

wdh, there all yellow pine right? but how many subs are there? i know here there are 4-5 different ones  even though there aren't many of some or we aren't supposed to have some. even a stray white pine once in a while.

i thought i saw shortleaf in some of his vids a while back.

WDH

In some parts of the South, like Georgia, there are a number of species of yellow pine like loblolly, shortleaf, slash, longleaf, sand, spruce, pitch, pond, virginia, and table mountain.  In the mid-South, in the western half of Arkansas, there is mostly shortleaf that occurs naturally and not much else.  It depends on where you are.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CCC4

Thanks WDH, makes perfect sense. Hey, I have a mystery tree for ya WDH, as soon as I can get my pics on here I will post them in the proper forum. I'm stumped at what it is...

Thanks again!

treeslayer2003

Quote from: CCC4 on October 02, 2015, 09:04:49 PM
Thanks WDH, makes perfect sense. Hey, I have a mystery tree for ya WDH, as soon as I can get my pics on here I will post them in the proper forum. I'm stumped at what it is...

Thanks again!
what proper forum?

teakwood

i think he meant not in the forestry and logging section
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

treeslayer2003

teak and Jeff, oh i see. i hardly ever leave the L&F forums and forget how big these sites are.

teakwood

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on October 03, 2015, 09:38:44 AM
teak and Jeff, oh i see. i hardly ever leave the L&F forums and forget how big these sites are.

me too. sometimes i go have a look at chainsaws, but thats it ;D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

shortlogger

The first time I ever cut loblolly I was disappointed , it was good sized fairly tall timber but sure didn't weigh out like the shortleaf that we had been cutting .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Thank You Sponsors!