iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Doing a demo in the SouthEast

Started by Nomad, September 30, 2015, 07:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Saw a comment in the "Whatcha Sawin" thread about doing a demo at a WoodCrafters store and wanted to comment, but didn't want to hijack that thread. 
     Folks who know about WoodCrafters know it's a store for mostly high end woodworking hobbyists.  The local store here in Jacksonville asked me if I'd be interested in doing a demo at an open house they're having in a couple of weeks.  I can fit it in, don't mind doing it, and should make some contacts in the process.  But I don't think I'm the best representative for WoodMizer in this situation.  Since this is for hobby woodworkers, I figure a smaller mill like an LT10 or LT15 might actually sell a mill or two.  I run an LT50.  Nobody there is gonna be buying one.  I wasn't able to arrange to get a smaller mill here, but if anyone is in the vicinity has one and would like to demo it please let me know. 
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

I still think your demo is important, even if you aren't likely to sell a mill. A lot of people don't know that custom sawing is an option.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Nomad

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 30, 2015, 07:30:32 PM
I still think your demo is important, even if you aren't likely to sell a mill. A lot of people don't know that custom sawing is an option.

Very true, and particularly so around here.  Boards grow in box stores, dontcha know?
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Kingmt

I have to agree. I'd love to go to any demo if I knew of one close by(within an hour). Sounds like it would be a cool family event.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

fishfighter

Wish they would put something together here in the Baton Rouge, La area.

slider

Go ahead and do it.You can always explain the difference in the mill size and cost of getting into sawing.
My friend just bought a new LT 15 wide head and i love the thing.
al glenn

Sixacresand

Nomad, Is that the place across from Regency SQ Mall?  Do you the exact dates?
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Tom the Sawyer

Nomad,

I think this would be a bigger benefit to you than to Woodcraft.  You have an audience of woodworkers and the greatest percentage of those watching will be interested in your ability to convert their logs to lumber, rather than buying a mill for themselves. 

I have received jobs related to demos done years ago.  Although I've had people ask ownership questions (how much did it cost?) I can only think of one who actually bought a mill.  He mills for himself and refers inquiries to me.

Take plenty of brochures and/or cards, they'll be on someone's desk or in their pocket for years.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Nomad

Quote from: Sixacresand on September 30, 2015, 09:12:58 PM
Nomad, Is that the place across from Regency SQ Mall?  Do you the exact dates?

Yup.                  http://www.woodcraft.com/stores/542/woodcraft-of-jacksonville.aspx

Not sure yet which days will have the demos.

I agree this will be a good opportunity for me.  There aren't enough portable mills around here and most people don't realize this is an option.
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Klicker

I use to do demos WM would send info pakages to pass out
2006 LT 40 HD

Chuck White

I'd say go ahead and do the demo!

I've done a few here locally and suggest you "do your thinking out loud", in other words, let the viewers know what you're doing at each step!

You'll get lots of questions and some fun too, I'm sure!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John S

Nomad, contact Woodmizer about your demo, they sent me a package with handouts for a demo I will be doing at a show featuring chainsaw artists on October 17 and 18 in Fredon, NJ.  I have an LT40HD.  When I see WM at the Woodworking Shows, they always have one of their hydraulic mills (and sometimes an LT15) that they feature for the demonstration.  Go for it!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Sixacresand

Nomad,  How did it go?  Wish I could have been there. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Nomad

Mostly had a great time.  My wireless remote went belly up so I had to operate in walk along mode; it got pretty DanG windy from exactly the wrong direction.  Annoying.  But I had a couple great guys helping out with logs, boards and people so it was a lot of fun.
     One couple I didn't talk to was talking with one of my friends.  Jon asked the man if he had any questions.  This guy said "No.  I own a real sawmill."  Meaning one of the stationary commercial units around here.  Jon said the guy's wife retorted that "That looks pretty durn real to me.  Maybe we should think about that!" ;D
     Overall it was a win/win situation.  WoodCrafters was happy, I was happy, and the customers were happy.  I sawed the logs for the owner free, for supplying them.  He gave out flitches to anyone who wanted one, even cutting 'em to fit in peoples' cars. 
     I cut 3 or 4 magnolia logs and a couple of ERC.
     Also had one FF member stop by and introduce himself!
     And with all that I'm sorry to say I personally didn't take even a single picture. ::)
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

terrifictimbersllc

Way to go, glad to hear you did it. 

I've sawn many days for customers who have real sawmills.  They give me the big, the bad, and the ugly.  8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

Don't worry about the "real" thing. I have a manual mill and get that from some of the guys that have hyds. How much faster they can cut than me.  ::) Depends how much they go on about it. I can do things on mine that they can't do on thiers. It all comes out the same when the log is done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

What happened to your wireless? The speed pots have a short life, but they only cost about $5.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Sounded like a fun day.   :)

I was sawing Walnut logs for a customer that owned a real sawmill.  When I finished I asked why he did not saw them on the commercial sawmill.  He said "because I always get more lumber when you saw".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

I considered myself as having a "real" sawmill when I bought my first one.  It was certainly real to me.

Glad you had a good time, Nomad.   

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on October 18, 2015, 08:37:49 AM
Sounded like a fun day.   :)

I was sawing Walnut logs for a customer that owned a real sawmill.  When I finished I asked why he did not saw them on the commercial sawmill.  He said "because I always get more lumber when you saw".   ;D

Been there, done that a few times myself Lynn!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nomad

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 18, 2015, 08:33:02 AM
What happened to your wireless? The speed pots have a short life, but they only cost about $5.

The up/down switch gave it up.  (You really, really don't want to have to buy one of those.)  In the process of replacing it I "discovered" a broken ground wire on a circuit board component. ::)  I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, but I'm not that good.  This just happened Friday night, so...
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!