iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

t&g decking with ends or without

Started by addicted, September 30, 2015, 10:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

addicted

Im ordering some 2x6 t&g decking and have a choice between T&G on 2 sides or on 4 sides.
What do most people use/recommend when using 2x6 T&G decking? The supplier claims the 4 sided will allow you to get away with joining boards between joists. Id feel a lot better knowing that this is common practice rather than relying on the salespersons word.
Thanks
Rusty

beenthere

I would agree with the supplier.. common practice for me on paneling as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brian_Weekley

If your boards are going to be laid down over a subfloor, then maybe the ends could be T&G and the joints could fall anywhere.  However, if the boards are going down directly on joists, I'd prefer to have the board ends fall only on the joists.  Personally, I don't' think I'd want the ends to float between joists even if they were T&G.  However, in my case, I'm planning to face nail the boards directly to the joists with cut nails and I want the ends to fall on the joists for nailing.  It certainly doesn't hurt to T&G the ends unless it's a big difference in price.
e aho laula

canopy

From what I've read and done, it's good practice for all boards to start and end at a joist. And each board should span at least 3 joists. Boards should be staggered at each level. Since timber framers tend to use wide timbers for joists instead of 2"x there is plenty of bite when butting ends on a joist. Use decking screws to get the boards to plant flush on the joist surface. Orientation is important to prevent cupping. These ideas are good for strength and appearance.

addicted

Thanks guys
I've been unsuccessful in finding any rule of thumb concerning decking other than " A Timber Framers Workshop" stating 30" joist spacing works well and a few posts on other forums saying you can go up to 4' spacing with 2x6 tongue and groove. I have been told by local guys that it's crazy and should use 3x6 double t&g.  I didn't know there was such a thing. Sounds expensive though.
Rusty

robmelby

Addicted,

I've been doing carpenter work for a while. Our rule of thumb is floor joist should be 16'' OC. You should always break your decking on a joist, unless you have a subfloor. Your decking being end matched (t&g ends) May become a problem if you have a large deck. There lengths will all have to be divisible by 16''. If not you need to cut them, you will loose the end matching. I would buy the decking without end matching, you will have more freedom.

Thank You Sponsors!