iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidding Lever

Started by 4x4American, September 30, 2015, 09:51:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Stumbled across this video today, thought it was pretty neat, might try building one for my tractor when I can. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WolPsDoUaCE
Boy, back in my day..

47sawdust

I don't see the advantage with that set up.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

beenthere

I'm not seeing any advantage either. And why the guy re-hooked 4-5 times was not clear.
I just use the quick attach on the 3 pt hitch.
At least for pulling out logs, the long top beam not necessary, but might come in handy for lifting other things besides logs... but not handy as shown in the video.  Easy to be a critic... ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

North River Energy

Embodies, in many ways, the phrase "His reach exceeded his grasp".
On the other hand, "A man who has made no mistakes, hasn't made much of anything".

At least he took care to match the expensive green paint. :D

4x4American

I don't get why he hooked it there either.  To me, it'd be handy to hook the log farther away so that it doesn't bump into the tires and you can pick a bigger log up off the ground.  He's not using it the the full potential here. 

Here's a funny video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9b12C8sprA

If you get sick of the middle part, skip to 5min in.
Boy, back in my day..

tantoy

If you get sick of the middle part, skip to 5min in.
that's funny.  on serious note that is a nice cab/cage on that Ford
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

4x4American

Yea it is he did a great job.  I just stumbled upon his channel he has a lot of good videos.
Boy, back in my day..

lopet

At about 0.15 he probably had his front wheels coming of the ground with that long arm and then when he rearranged he had the chain a little long, so with the raised three point hitch  arms he didn't get the logs of the ground.  No biggy to me.
A advantage I can see when it comes to " fishing " a log.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

4x4American

tantoy what the heck did you do with your quotes man my puter box is going haywire over it!! lol
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

remember he's only using a little 40hp compact.  some front weights on my 2640 and I should be able to handle quite a bit more log, the way I'm thinking...
Boy, back in my day..

tantoy

Quote from: 4x4American on September 30, 2015, 10:21:55 PM
tantoy what the heck did you do with your quotes man my puter box is going haywire over it!! lol
Sorry man, It was my first attempt at using my phone to reply to a post. I will not happen again :-\
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

4x4American

:D :D :D

It's cool man! 
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

Those tree lengths will really hold back a tractor. I try to cut them into 2-3 pieces to get the load closer to me. One of my trails I can not twitch out tree length anyways. I have a corner to join the main trail. Only one way across the bog. Somtimes it's just as quick to take a little and make another trip.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Smallidge

Hi All:

I shot the video for the skidding lever.  I can answer some of the questions.  I enjoyed the analysis and most of the responses hit the nail.

As you can tell, it was a new piece of equipment.  Brett was clearing an area for silvopasture (www.silvopasture.ning.com) and the wood coming out was for firewood. We were testing the limits of the lever and tractor. The purpose of the lever was to ensure the front of the logs was elevated off the ground. Multiple hitch points, at distances from the machine, allowed for lighter or heavier loads. The multiple re-hitches seen in the video was because the load was too heavy for the tractor and the front end was lifting.  Brett was resetting the choker, but didn't initially find the sweet spot. With silvopasture you're reducing tree density to a fairly low level, so longer logs were feasible as the trail became straighter.

The extended arm would allow some fishing, and also some extra lift if the load wasn't too heavy.  There is a new (and bigger) JD on Brett's farm now, and I don't know if the skidding lever/arm is still used.

I think the green color was simply an expression of "pride in workmanship" by the fabricator.

Have fun in the woods, be safe!
Peter Smallidge
NYS Extension Forester &
Adirondack Woodlot Owner
http://cornellforestconnect.ning.com

4x4American

Thanks for chiming in!  Lucky you found this thread.  I see you're located near me, so, howdy neighbor! 

To the folks who don't see an advantage to it, how do you skid logs, lifting the front of them off the ground, with just a 3 pt hitch?  I can't find a good way to get a decent hitch and not have them hit the tires.  What do you recommend as opposed to this that is similar in cost?

I think the advantage is clear!

And don't be making fun of John Deere green, cause it looked good to Charlene!

Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

I use the JD Imatch which is just a quickhitch for the 3 ph. Either use the tongs over that top hook or chain them up. Plenty of lift to get traction and get one end off the ground.
HF quickhitch is $99
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-point-quick-hitch-27-3-16-inch-clearance-97214.html

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

Do you have a close up of that setup?
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

Since this pic, have added several grab hooks to the top and sides. This quickhitch also is for picking up the ballast box, blade, rotary cutter, forks, chipper and carry-all. Don't have to get off except to slip on the PTO shafts. Often pull wood out with the ballast box attached at the same time.
Have since added the hydraulic top arm which is indispensable .

south central Wisconsin

4x4American

Very nice.  Did you put that JD sticker on it lol
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Smallidge

Hi 4x4

I'm in Crown Point.

Beenthere has a nice rig. I use an ATV  with an arch or cart. I don't like wood with dirt.  The lever was a couple hundred $. Don't recall.   The key of course is to lift the end.

We're planning a small scale logging workshop in central western VT next May.  We'll share details here when we have them.
Peter Smallidge
NYS Extension Forester &
Adirondack Woodlot Owner
http://cornellforestconnect.ning.com

4x4American

Cool, I'm just below you in the Hadley-Luzerne area.  About an hour south I believe.
Boy, back in my day..

Pine Ridge

Beenthere thats a good looking setup.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Thank You Sponsors!