iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need some help and ideas for a saw mill

Started by Arlin Eastman, September 29, 2015, 04:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arlin Eastman

I need some help
First my name is Arlin smiley_wavy

First I should tell you why I need/want one.

I am a disabled vet from a bombing in the middle east.  After spending a year in bed in a body cast I went into a wheel chair.  Well my VA mental health Dr. told me I had to get a hobby for my depression so I chose wood working or I should say wood turning.  About 3 years ago I started teaching other vets and disabled people how to turn pen kits and I provided all the kits and wood with some help.  Now lately when I run out of pen kits I taught how to turn small bowls, boxes and vases then when I run out of wood I teach how to use hand tools with the little knowledge I know and tools I have.

I my family and I have a big acreage with a lot of trees so I figured if I could get or make a cheap saw mill I/We can make our own.  So I asked a question on another woodworking forum and one of the guys pointed me here.

I need to make a cheap, easy to use sawmill that we can use.  I am 100% disabled with brain damage and do not make a lot of money but I do like to tinker with things.

So any advise, drawings, templates, and help is greatly needed.

Arlin
It is always the right time, to do the right thing.

Kbeitz

If you have the tools and a junkyard not to far away you can build one....

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,82853.0.html

I got $1280 total in my unit.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

MP_Wall

Arlin,
I used to turn quite a bit, have you contacted the American Association of Woodturners? I am pretty sure that they may be able to help or find some help for you, if they can't help, look for your nearest branch and pay them a visit on their meeting night. There will surely be some people interested in helping, if the club is anything like the Chicago area club. Turners are a lot like the sawyers on this site in that they are very helpful of new friends and share lots of information. I wish you the best of luck in getting the supplies you need and Thank You for your service and those you are assisting.  MPW

Arlin Eastman

Kbeitz

I was really hoping I could do it for much less or with a lot of help.

Wall

I have been a member of AAW now for a year and I do go a turning club called Loess Hills Woodturners and most of them are over 65 and lamed up too thou not as bad as me.  I do not know how the AAW can help  ???

Thank you both for the suggestions
Arlin

beenthere

Arlin.
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Many thanks for your service, and am impressed by your attitude to get into doing something more with wood. Surely don't like to hear that you were in harms way and received a hit.

What size wood are you thinking you can get ahold of and that you want to work up for your hobby and teaching?

What species of wood do you have access to on the farm? 

What species do you like to work up for the pens? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customsawyer

Thanks for your service. Check with local sawyers. I know if someone in your condition asked me, I would cut all he wanted at no charge.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Arlin Eastman

Beenthere

I do not know all trees we have but I know we have Black Walnut (Lots) Elm, Ash, and Red Ceder.  I did post in another section I would love to get a book so I can id all the kinds of trees I have by the bark or just looking at the trees.

At this time I have a ton of pen blanks just not pen kits unless I can find some exotics they like.

On the lumber we went to be able to make anything actually.

I should say that the VA did buy me some woodworking equipment from Grizzley back in 2009 a Tablesaw, Planner, Jointer, and this Bandsaw G0636X.   Maybe someway I could use this?

Arlin

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

Quote from: customsawyer on September 29, 2015, 06:11:07 PM
Thanks for your service. Check with local sawyers. I know if someone in your condition asked me, I would cut all he wanted at no charge.
:) Me too.  Welcome to the Forum, Arlin
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Arlin Eastman

customsawyer

I do not drive yet nor have a truck anymore since my wife sold it to get a car to haul me and my wheel chair around.  I will be able to drive early next year and I hope to get a small truck.
So that is why I do not know if any sawyers are around.

Chuck White

I am also retired from the Air Force back in 1999 but was recalled back after 9/11 until I was hurt again.

Sixacresand

Thank you to for the welcome

Kingmt

The G0636X should be able to cut anything you want to turn. The table saw can but not as easy as using that band saw. Head over to YouTube & you will find several videos of people using them & they are from fine craftsman.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

Magicman

Thank you for your service to our Country and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Arlin Eastman.  I only wish that you were closer to me, but maybe someone that is close to you will chime in. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Just a note .....
The Grizzly store in Pa is closing up for good on Oct 29 this year....
They are selling everything cheap...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Nomad

Arlin, first let me say Thank You for you sacrifice! 
     I don't think trying to build a sawmill on your own would be in your best interests.  Like Jake, I'd be more than proud to help you in any way I could.
     Where are you?  Putting that in your profile will help us to help you.  Have you tried talking to any of the major sawmill manufacturers to see what owners are in your area?  You're in a great place to ask for help, but you need to help us help you.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ianab

I'm wondering if some sort of sled for a large shop bandsaw would work? Given the mobility and budget issues.

Because you are talking about turning blanks you wont need to handle full size logs. Assuming the "I/we" means a helper able enough to wield a chainsaw and break smaller logs down into manageable sizes.Stuff than can be dragged around with a hand cart, loaded onto a log deck (table) and rolled onto a carriage and clamped in place. Hand crank the carriage though the band saw, reverse, and reset the carriage position for the next cut.

Could mostly be fabricated up from wood and a bit of scrap angle iron

Not going to be high production, but I'm just Just thinking of something that could be used from a chair, and wouldn't cost a fortune.

Otherwise, I'd try and find a local portable sawyer. Get a handful of logs organised and get him in for a couple of hours. I'm sure most of the guys here would do you a good deal on a small sawing job like that if you were local. A hydraulic band mill can make a pretty good stack of boards in a couple of hours. Like If your weren't on the other side of the Pacific I'd call around and slice up a couple of logs for you gratis. But the excess baggage on a sawmill is a bit much  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Cutting Edge

Yes, Thank You for your service... Thanks is not enough for what you've sacrificed.  I'm with customsawyer, I'd saw all you wanted and figure a way to get it delivered.  It's the least anyone would do... IMO.

Quote from: Arlin Eastman on September 29, 2015, 06:20:46 PM

At this time I have a ton of pen blanks just not pen kits ...

Get in touch with "Cap'n Eddie Castelin" on You Tube:  https://www.youtube.com/user/capneddie

He is part of an organization called "Freedom Pens".  I'd bet he could help you find a source for pens kits.

I don't have any exotics, but if I can help supply stock for blanks, let me know.  You can fit ALOT of pen stock in a large USPS Flat Rate box.   ;D

Again, Thank You for your service.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Kingmt

No log deck would be needed if it is table sized. Of course there is a guy on YouTube with his Grizzly band saw setup to run big logs through it but I think that might be over kill for the OP.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

tule peak timber

Hi Arlin, Welcome aboard. I believe I recognize your name from another woodworking site. The FF is a great place to learn a lot .For my two cents ,,,I built a sled to mill timber in a 16 inch Jet bandsaw before I bought my first Woodschmoozer. Worked pretty well -just slow. Lots of guys here have a wide range of mills.  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

tmarch

let me know if you need some ponderosa pine cut, that's my main wood and I'll get some to you somehow.  Oh and BTW thanks for your service from another vet.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

redbeard

Hello Arlin, First off would like toThank you for your service. Iam sure if you located some Sawmiller in your surrounding area they would have pleanty of turning material in there tailing piles. I set aside alot of interesting chunks that thrills several local turners in my area, I hate seeing it end up in firewood. Might pay to do some road trips to surrounding mills see what they do. Wish you were closer I would definitely hook you up.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

customsawyer

If you go to the top of the page click on extras and go to the find-a-data base. You should be able  to locate a sawyer with that. ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

mometal77

No better pill than being outdoors.  Some people like music for depression some like drugs/drinking.  I like the smell of cedar in the morning. Hope you find a great deal on a mill.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

5quarter

Arlin...Thanks for your service friend. In your circumstance, building a sawmill is probably not your best solution. You are only about 25 min from me...I am in Springfield NE just across the river. I'd be happy to give you a hand... Just let me know.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I am pretty close to you down near Glenwood, if I can help you out let me know.
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Magicman

That is the FF Spirit.  I know that we can muster up some solution for our Hero.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!