iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CSM MS660 Where To Look For A Bar

Started by Kingmt, September 29, 2015, 10:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingmt

I'm feeling the pain of jumping in without trying to learn something first. Lol But you guys have been great with advice. I was trying to decide to post this here or the chainsaw section so if I choose wrong can a Mod please move it?

I bought a HF Sawmill which I'm in the middle of building to suit me or at least as close as I can within its limits. I've sawed a few boards but I keep finding logs that are way too big for my mill. So my idea was to get a chainsaw with a big bar to cut them smaller & load on the mill. So I bought a 660 with a 36" bar then I started thinking about an Alaskan mill because of a large white oak I was given & where it is located. It is 40" at the base & I'd really like to have a few planks with a natural edge on them to make a few tables.

I have already invested twice the cost of the mill & still know of a large chunk I still need to invest but I'd like to stop spending money soon. I don't think I'll have much call for an Alaskan mill other then I have a 36" I'm working now & the 40" I just got. Well the 36" is above the wire I know is in it. The base is bigger but no need in counting it.

I found a bar & chain that is 50" for $350 but I was hoping to get one cheaper since I don't plan on using it much. That one was at Bailie's (spelling may be wrong). The guy I talked to was really helpful but I would really like to pay less. He also talked about bigger bars they had for my saw but said they were double ended instead of roller. I'm really ignorant when it comes to large saws so my questions are: For a small amount of Alaskan milling what is the best bar for the buck? Where is the best deal on bars?

I hate to buy a bar just long enough to get through a 40 then find 50" log tomorrow. I also don't want to buy a used one since I don't know what I'm getting.

Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

4x4American

Buying a used one might be your cheapest way out.  I searched high and dry for a guy for the same thing, a 3003 mount bar that was 50", and it ain't cheap, or easy to find.  Try to find a guy who bought one to use for a project and now doesn't need it anymore, there are quite a few folks who will buy a tool for the job then sell it afterwards.  Maybe that's something you'll do? 
Boy, back in my day..

Kingmt

Probably not. Nobody ever wants to buy anything from me. All I get is people wanting me to give then something that I'm using. But when I want to give something away they don't want that ether.

I did talk to one of the mills that wants to buy that log & said low ball price he'd give me .50/bf for it. I want the slabs but I know there will be more. I wonder if that is as good as I can get out of it or should I ask more mills. Only other mill I know within responsible driving hasn't returned my call. But I've not looked that hard not knowing what in going to do. If I bought a bar one slab from the middle is probably worth what the log will bring to me.

sawguy21

50" bars are specialty items, there is not a big demand so supply is limited. For your needs, used is the way to go as long as you can inspect it first. Otherwise you need to find a local mill that can handle your log for a reasonable price.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kingmt

I asked the local mill & he said no but he will buy it from me.

customsawyer

I used to be able to get 48" bars for my 660 but they are not available anymore. You will have to buy used or go to a special made one. $$$$
Where are you located?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Kingmt

customsawyer

If you fill out your profile it helps us to know where you are. This way we can offer the best advice.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Kingmt

This is the first chance I've had. I'm usually on my phone & this sites mobile version doesn't work well for me.

I can't even stay logged in on my phone. I have to do it every time I open the page.

York Woodwright

Quote from: customsawyer on September 29, 2015, 06:06:24 PM
I used to be able to get 48" bars for my 660 but they are not available anymore...

I ordered a new Stihl 881 with a 47 inch bar. In fact, I had a choice of two different 47 inch bars from Stihl, a standard bar and a light-weight bar (for a lot more money). I opted for the standard 47 inch bar, which didn't cost a lot more than their 36 inch bar. Would I be correct in presuming that a 47 inch bar that fits the 881 would also fit the 660?
Charles
I'm still learning how to use my WM LT40HD. This is an avocation, not a vocation -- not as pecunious as medicine, but a lot more fun!

Nomad

Don't get a CSM just to cut the logs down to fit your mill.  Ask CustomSawyer for some advice.  The man is a wizard with a chainsaw!  He can quarter a big log and be within ΒΌ" end to end.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Kingmt

Quote from: York Woodwright on September 29, 2015, 06:49:45 PM

Would I be correct in presuming that a 47 inch bar that fits the 881 would also fit the 660?
Charles
I was told they won't. Maybe if bushings were made for the bar lugs but I'd hate to buy one just to see.

Nomad

I'm not wanting to cut the log to fit my mill altho that is why I bought the saw. I'm wanting to plank it with the live/natural edge to build a few tables out of. I could probably manage to work the sides down then cut it in half with the 36" bar I have. I want the 4 best slabs out of the center of it tho. ;)

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

plowboyswr

Quote from: 4x4American on September 29, 2015, 09:00:52 PM
What do you have for a mill?

Quote from: Kingmt on September 29, 2015, 10:21:06 AM
I bought a HF Sawmill which I'm in the middle of building to suit me or at least as close as I can within its limits.

;D in the OP
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Kingmt

Yelp. If that isn't clear HF=Harbor Freight.

Well the only part of the mill that is going to be a HF mill is the saw & parts of it will be changing once I have some more money. I'm thinking I should have just started from scratch. Lol

Magicman

Adding your sawmill to your profile aids those answering questions.  It's a chore to have to constantly look back through threads looking for some mention of a sawmill brand/model.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kingmt

I can do that but I was asking about a bar & chain for my MS660.

jimdad07

Quote from: York Woodwright on September 29, 2015, 06:49:45 PM
Quote from: customsawyer on September 29, 2015, 06:06:24 PM
I used to be able to get 48" bars for my 660 but they are not available anymore...

I ordered a new Stihl 881 with a 47 inch bar. In fact, I had a choice of two different 47 inch bars from Stihl, a standard bar and a light-weight bar (for a lot more money). I opted for the standard 47 inch bar, which didn't cost a lot more than their 36 inch bar. Would I be correct in presuming that a 47 inch bar that fits the 881 would also fit the 660?
Charles

I have a couple of 084's and an 088 and they take a different mount than an 066.
To the OP:
A log that big is getting into 6 cube territory (880, Husky 3120).  I know it can be done but I don't like putting a bar over 36" on a 90cc saw for milling.  Crosscut, no problem.  If you start calling around to some dealers you will probably be able to find a used bar. 
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Kingmt

I'm thinking about just using the 36" bar to rip what it can from one side then going to the other side to finish up the about 6" that would be left. Any reason this wouldn't work.

Kingmt

It wouldn't be an Alaskan mill because it would only be supported by the saw & not the bar.

clww

I thought I'd have one for your saw, but my big mount (084-090) won't work on your saw, as others have previously posted.
Incidentally, I got both a 54" and a 60" bar from ebay several years ago. Both have worked as advertised.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

jimdad07

Quote from: Kingmt on October 01, 2015, 05:55:20 PM
It wouldn't be an Alaskan mill because it would only be supported by the saw & not the bar.

I see, as long as you take your time with setup it would work fine I bet.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Thank You Sponsors!