iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

AshTrol Central boiler substitute / knockoff products

Started by Logging logginglogging, September 29, 2015, 08:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logging logginglogging

I went to the dealer yesterday to pickup some very very expencive ashtrol, when he brings out the little bucket (smaller than the ashtrol container by far). I asked if the had changed the packaging? He said that they ran out of ashtrol, but this is the same thing. So I looked at it, and it said it was creosol remover or something like that but didn't have any mention of changing the PH levels in the ash like ashtrol is suppose to do. I asked if it will void warrantee and they said no. and proceeded to ring me up... I was still looking at the container and didn't see anything about PH and could tell it was not a CB product. I finally told them never mind, and they said they would be getting the real stuff back in as soon a a truck comes with a new boiler (apparently to save on shipping). He also informed me that its ok, there are many customers that have refused to buy it and they also have a substitute for the inhibitor in stock that some owners don't trust either. I am very surprised they can get away with this!!!

beenthere

If me, I'd place a call to CB and discuss the problem/question with them... maybe get some insight as to what Ashtrol really is, and why your dealer was peddling a substitute product.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Logging logginglogging

I know they will not tell anyone what's in it lol...
I really don't want to get the dealer in trouble, I just found this interesting.

Gary_C

When I ran out of the regular ashtrol that came with the OWB, I simply switched to barn lime. I know for a fact that barn lime will change the PH of the ashes plus it saves a bunch on the pocket book. So two pluses are good enough for me.

I do admire CB for their marketing of ashtrol and no doubt they may add something more than barn lime (calcium carbonate) but just plain barn lime is good enough for me.

So buying astrol makes about as much sense to me as buying Stihl bar oil for my harvester.  ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

adamant

central boiler 6048
son's off to collage and he was replaced with a timber wolf tw 5

Nemologger

I have never seen any difference if I added it or not.
Clean and Sober

overclocking

I use lime as well. It lowers PH and is much cheaper.

Ikeholt

I'm at year 15 with my Central Boiler.  Ashtrol still sitting on shelf unused.  Ashes have a high pH, so does lime.  Dealer couldn't explain what it did, so I never used it.

Mopar70

Im assuming this is about an additive to abate creosol?
I hope for a reply, i have some thoughts on what could be in these products.

thecfarm

I have a Heatmor and nothing was ever mentioned about adding stuff like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: Mopar70 on October 09, 2015, 06:10:17 PM
Im assuming this is about an additive to abate creosol?
I hope for a reply, i have some thoughts on what could be in these products.

Had to check out creosol.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosol

But Mopar, what are your thoughts regards this creosol?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Logging logginglogging

I buy about two containers a yeah, yes its expensive... but it gives me peace of mind.

Thank You Sponsors!