iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to build Solar DH Heat or all of the above

Started by just_sawing, September 29, 2015, 07:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I have posted some threads before but have yet to start the build. I have an open contract available to me to furnish Dry wood. We are at our new Farm and have no buildings as of yet.
When I started designing my kiln I leaned toward Solar from the DH that I do have some experience in. I am very aware of the hidden cost of just moving lumber from drying shed to dry kiln. I ended up designing a Solar with three 4K foot bays lined with Freezer Panels and the  Collector spanning the three bays but only one bay at a time is used, (Yes in the summer that may change) This would enable me to have more heat in the winter by using the area of three for only one. I will also have freezer Panels and duct electronic baffles in the ceiling to minimize heat loss.
Reading the post and other articles I am questioning having production in the winter time.
I have a fourty foot Storage container her and could insulate install doors and DH units easily and be up and going.
Looking at the KW power required I also have a Wood Fired Outdoor Furnace that is going to go in and would have Hot Water available.
I have basically worked myself in a circle and don't know which way I am going to go.
I need to be operational year around on a flexible but somewhat predicable schedule. I want as little of a Electrical footprint as possible but with reason. 
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I think your requirements strongly discourage the use of solar.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

just_sawing

Pretty well in stone that I will order a Insulated Shipping Container with roll up side doors. I will be able to get about 1500 feet in each container. I plan to get the woodmizer KD250. The plan is to do mostly poplar so I am thinking it is a good fit. I will expand the 45 foot container to three different chambers.
I will add supplemental heat from a outdoor wood boiler.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Thank You Sponsors!