iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello.. newbee from VA

Started by RichInTheUSA, September 28, 2015, 09:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichInTheUSA

Hello,   I'm new to the forum and would like to learn to manage my small forest in Virgina...   I'm here to learn how to create a forest management plan, and then to execute it over time.

I'd like the forest to be an area for wildlife to flourish, but also for various plants and vegetation to grow so that we can harvest for our own personal use (not looking for anything commercial).  This would include things such as:

Promote Edibles (for us and for animals)

Walnut Trees
    Persimmon trees
    Pawpaw trees (we have lots of these)
    Autumn Olive (limited)
    Shepherdia / Buffalo Berries (limited)
    Mushrooms
    Raspberry, Blackberry, Blueberry
    Other edibles.

Promote Wildlife Habitat

This would include deer, bear, raccoon, fox, turkey, opossum, chipmunks, squirrel, etc. which are present on the property.
    Not so excited about coyote around, but they are part of the food chain.
    Not so excited about snakes under or in the cabin... but they are Ok otherwise.  Seen rat snakes and corn snakes.
    I would like to have a food plot for animals, mostly for deer and turkey...  types of vegetation to be planted to be determined.

Promote Solid Forest Development

Identification of hardwood trees/groves that we want to flourish.
    Identification of anything that may be killing trees, or undesired.  Some trees have vines that may be impacting the health of the trees.
    Identification of trees that we just have too many of, or which may be causing other desired trees from growing.

So... Am I on the right track as far as setting some high level goals for my property?   Is there a "things to consider" checklist for forest management plans?

Thanks in Advance, RichIntheUSA

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Where are you located in The Old Dominion?
You can update your profile to show others. This helps sometimes when you have questions.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

RichInTheUSA

Profile Updated....

My property is on the north end of the Shenandoah Valley.  :)

WDH

Developing clear objectives is definitely the first step.  You have done that.  How do you plan to execute? 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

RichInTheUSA

Execution... well, that's the question... what to do first?

I've started by cutting paths through the forest so that I can easily get to various parts to the property.  I do this with a small kubota and a bush hog, with minimum cutting of trees.

I did find a pawpaw patch of roughly 50 trees, which were difficult to get to.   I cut a path into that area and have now been able to harvest some of the fruit.   :)  If you have not tried a pawpaw, you're missing out.  Yum!   I'm thinking about going into that area and cutting out any small bushes and trees that are creating shade for the pawpaw trees.  This will yield more fruit next year.

This same area has a ton of raspberries, which I also want to keep.  Many of the pawpaw trees are very tall (for a pawpaw tree) reaching 20' or more.  Some need to be stood up straight and tied, as we had a flood last year which pushed some of the trees over.

On another area of the property, i have a food plot for deer that's about 1/2 acre.  I used a disc harrow to break up the ground a little, and then planted a "deer mix" of seeds that I got from the tractor supply store.

Other than that, I haven't done that much else.   Just learning and planning.  :)

WDH

Sounds like that you are off to a great start.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, RichInTheUSA.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RichInTheUSA

Thanks!   Now that I'm in the right section of the forum (moderator moved me), I'll ask additional questions.

I recently (last weekend) took down 6 trees to clear space to have a garage build.  5 white pines, and a persimmon tree.

I plan to use the pine trucks to create the boarder of raised beds for a garden.   Was planning to cut the persimmon try for firewood.

Does persimmon wood have any interesting characteristics?    Good for burning?  Good for anything else?

Any hints on taking some of the persimmon fruit and getting the seeds to grow?   I'd like to establish a persimmon grove on another part of my property.   

Any advice?

WDH

Persimmon was the wood that golf club "woods" was made from before the advent of the metal "woods".  It is also desired by plane makers and other handtool makers because of its durability and shock resistance.  I have sold some to a luthier to make fingerboards for guitars, mandolins, and bridges for violins. 

The seeds need to stratify, that is, undergo a period of cold before the seeds will sprout. Don't bring them inside your warm house this winter.  Leave them outside in a shed or other covered space.

mesquite buckeye

Persimmon will root sucker and run across open areas. :-\ The fruits don't all get ripe at the same time. Well, they do on the same tree, but at different times on other trees. Taste one to find out. smiley_smug01 smiley_smug01 smiley_smug01  ;D ;D :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

samandothers

Welcome to the farmer from the Old Dominion State! 

RichInTheUSA

Thanks for the info on the Persimmon Wood, and the persimmons themselves.   I've tried the ripe ones (Yum) as well as the ones not so ripe (yuk).

So... right now my persimmon seeds are still in the persimmons, in a paper bag.... 

Do I remove them from the fruit, and put them in the fridge to get them cold?   How long do I need to do this before they can be planted?

Thanks in advance!

Dobie

First, put the seeds in some water.  The floaters aren't any good so discard them.  Then put the seeds in a plastic bag with some barely damp peat moss and put them in the fridge(not freezer).  Make sure to poke some holes in the plastic bag to let some air get in there and help prevent mold.   You should be ready to plant seeds in the spring.

As for wildlife habitat I wouldn't do anything until you observed the place for a year or two.  One of the biggest mistakes people make is getting in there on a new property and making all kinds of changes before they actually observe what is happening on their property along with the neighboring properties.   A couple things to consider once you see how the wildlife are using your property is some fruit trees on the edges of your field.  In your area which I am very familiar with, I would strongly suggest crabapples.  Very hardy and minimal upkeep compared to apples.  Also, if you have cedars down there and I know they are all over that area, crabs won't be as susceptible to cedar rust than regular apples.  Pear would also be an excellent choice as they also require little work.

Here's a place that you can get a great assortment of wild crabs including Whitney and Chestnut crabs which are highly edible by man and animal along with a number of other highly preferred crabs for wildlife.   At $1 each for 100, you won't find a better deal.

http://www.nativnurseries.com/p-101-wild-crab-apple.aspx

Make sure to put tree tubes of at least 4' on them.

Also, I would also be scouting areas on your property where you could make more desirable cover for wildlife.  This might include switchgrass in the filed or hinge cutting a section of woods where the timber has little potential.  One of the best sites out there to help you with habitat is the qdma forums.

https://www.qdma.com/forums/

I have a place down in Mt Jackson and come down a few times a year.  Love the valley.

Thank You Sponsors!