iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally pulled the trigger

Started by jimdad07, September 28, 2015, 08:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customdave

Congrats on the shiney new iron, Play Safe.....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Magicman

Your life will never be the same again.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jimdad07

Slow putting pictures up and they go sideways on the full site but are right on the mobile site.  No idea why.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Billbob

28 feet!  My! You are an industrious young fella, aren't you? :laugh: :laugh:  Believe me, you will never regret it!  Congrats on the new mill!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

jimdad07

Quote from: Billbob on October 10, 2015, 02:00:43 PM
28 feet!  My! You are an industrious young fella, aren't you? :laugh: :laugh:  Believe me, you will never regret it!  Congrats on the new mill!

Thank you.  As far as length I didn't have much choice, the barn beams I have mill are going to be pretty large and long.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: jimdad07 on October 10, 2015, 12:49:43 AM
... And oh yeah, crap eating grin the whole time!

WARNING!!! YOUR FACE MAY START TO HURT FROM EXCESSIVE GRINNING!!! IF THIS OCCURS, STEP AWAY FROM THE MILL!!!   ;D

Glad to hear of your results. Yes, even three inch angle will flex some. But if you fasten it down to concrete that shouldn't be an issue. My first mill was a Turner Mill, 3/8" thick 3x3 angle 16 feet long. You could clearly see the ends sagging when it was only supported by the axle.

You realize that you're likely to start getting requests to mill long beams. Between what you save milling your own beams, and a job here and there milling for others, that mill will pay for itself pretty quickly.  ;D

jimdad07

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on October 10, 2015, 05:39:50 PM
Quote from: jimdad07 on October 10, 2015, 12:49:43 AM
... And oh yeah, crap eating grin the whole time!

WARNING!!! YOUR FACE MAY START TO HURT FROM EXCESSIVE GRINNING!!! IF THIS OCCURS, STEP AWAY FROM THE MILL!!!   ;D

Glad to hear of your results. Yes, even three inch angle will flex some. But if you fasten it down to concrete that shouldn't be an issue. My first mill was a Turner Mill, 3/8" thick 3x3 angle 16 feet long. You could clearly see the ends sagging when it was only supported by the axle.

You realize that you're likely to start getting requests to mill long beams. Between what you save milling your own beams, and a job here and there milling for others, that mill will pay for itself pretty quickly.  ;D

Watching a hockey game right now and then back out to the mill.  I've puttered around and have cut two small logs and have gotten 18 , 4/4 boards out of them.  Very good cuts.  Loving every cut.  I know it's a manual mill but when you're used a chainsaw it's a Caddy.

sandsawmill14

if i remember right your mill replaces the oscar 228 mill i have just a very little bigger and more hp(it needed it) i loved the mill and keep it at home in case we need to mill something and the other mills are on a job somewhere. hudson mills are great in my opinion. i dont how they build them so lite and still work so good ??? . the tubing on mine is really lite weight and it still saws just as good a lumber as the b20 or the s&w. and it has held up really well to its about 10 yrs old i guess (cant remember when i bought it) and the only parts i have had to change are the guides and drive belt i havent even changed the belt on the idler bandwheel and it has cut lots of wood.  i made my living with it cutting rr ties for 2 years i just cant work that hard anymore. its amazing how much difference there is between being 33 and 43.  ;D
congratulations and im glad you like it  ;D  enjoy
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

jimdad07

Learned something this morning.  If sawdust builds up in the blade guide and hardens with the lube, it pinches the blade.  When the blade is pinched and you try to start the mill, snap, it breaks the blade.  So.........I got to replace my first blade today.  Went very quickly, shame I can't braze or weld it back together.  It would probably ruin the temper of the blade and just break again.  Lesson learned: spin the blade by hand before starting for the day.  Getting used to the log dogs, I might make up some better back stops out of square stock at different lengths and a receiver for them.  I really like that I was able to move my log dogs close together on one end of the mill.  Some of the logs I had here I cut at 5', very easy to cut with the dogs close like they are.  The others I left as is for long logs.

Magicman

Better yet, always remove the blade at the end of a day's sawing.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

You can silver solder them back together...
I do it all the time. I get the most out of my blades.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jimdad07

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 11, 2015, 04:57:37 PM
You can silver solder them back together...
I do it all the time. I get the most out of my blades.

I keep a stock of 45% brazing wire and flux handy.  Maybe I'll try it out, worth a shot.  I'll start taking the blade off at night, I have kids that are 7 and 8 and one more coming, hate to have them get cut around the mill.  They're not allowed near it when I'm cutting.

21incher

I always release the blade tension and clean the guides at the end of the day on my HFE-21 as it says in the manual. Another thing I found out is to recheck the tension on a new blade after about 15 minutes of sawing. My back gets sore thinking about the size of logs you are set up to saw. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

jimdad07

Quote from: 21incher on October 11, 2015, 06:04:39 PM
I always release the blade tension and clean the guides at the end of the day on my HFE-21 as it says in the manual. Another thing I found out is to recheck the tension on a new blade after about 15 minutes of sawing. My back gets sore thinking about the size of logs you are set up to saw. :)

By the time I get to those bigguns I'll have a few things to make it easier in place.  Going to be putting a 28" poplar log on it tonight, it's about 12' long but I'll most likely knock some of it off due to the shape of the log.  Probably have closer to 8' of good log on it.

jimdad07

jimdad07

Here's the results of my goofing off this weekend.  Not a huge pile but it's a start.  These boards are out of a poplar I cut four years ago.  I was about to cut it all up into firewood, what a waste that would've been.  I got 105 board feet of usable lumber out of that last log.  Learned a lot about the mill just puttering with it.  I still have six poplar logs left, they are larger than what I milled so far but I'm not worried about it.  I've been eyeballing the logs for the barn, those are going to be an adventure for sure.  No way my old Allis Chalmers 180 is going to pick them so I'm going to have to get inventive on that one.  I think I'm going to build some long ramps up to the mill for those and push them with the tractor.  It'll work out, I see I'll also have to build some cheaters to hold this logs for the first few cuts.

jimdad07

This is the last log of the night, I screwed up on the post Of the picture.  You'll also find out of me by my pics I do most of my hobby stuff late at night, too darn busy during daylight hours to get my own stuff done.  Good thing I took a vacation day tomorrow.

Thank You Sponsors!