iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this Siberian Elm and how to best remove it?

Started by PASS_AUF, September 28, 2015, 03:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PASS_AUF

Hey everybody,
I have a problem on my property and am looking for advise on how to best manage it. I apologize in advance for my ignorance on how to deal with this, but am looking forward to learning from the pro's on this site! Two out of the four sides of my property are surrounded by what I think are White Pines. They are my privacy from the street and my neighbors homes so they are quite valuable to me. I have three what I believe are Siberian Elm trees growing out of the bases of two of my pine trees. I've read up on a few ways to get rid of these trees and hoping for some help on selecting what would be the best course of action given its proximity to the Pine trees. It's my understanding that if I just cut down a Siberian Elm it will re sprout. I've considered stump cutting the tree then treating the stump with Garlon 4, but I worry that the roots of the Elm and Pine could be intertwined and the last thing I want is to damage or kill the Pine. I've though of using the hatchet and spray technique too, but have the same worries about hurting the Pine. I've also thought about girdling the Elm, but don't know if it would tax the pine further by leaving the Elm in place for another 1-2 years while the Elm dies. Is there a better way to remove these without hurting the Pine tree while also ensuring these Elms do not return? Attached are a couple of photos showing the trees leaves and its proximity to one of the Pine trees. Thanks for the help FF!

Stihl MS362
Stihl FS550
Stihl FS450
Stihl FS250
Stihl FS80
Stihl 026
Husky 555FX
John Deere Gator 825i
John Deere 4066M

Magicman

Personally, I would cut them off at ground level and if you get stump sprouts, then keep cutting them off.  The stumps/roots will eventually die.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bucknwfl

Cut them down and treat the stumps. The dying stump will only help the pines.  The pines are sharing resources and fighting for  nutrients.

Buck
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

Magicman

QuoteI've considered stump cutting the tree then treating the stump with Garlon 4, but I worry that the roots of the Elm and Pine could be intertwined and the last thing I want is to damage or kill the Pine.
Your concern is why I would cut the Elms and just "worry" the stumps to death.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

I would've guessed Siberian Elm too but have read far too many of WDH's posts to even consider going against his opinion  ;).  I will agree with you and MM about the stumps, just worry them to death, I'm not one for using tordon anywhere close to something I want to save.  I maybe wrong but have seen it happen with chokecherry trees. 

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PASS_AUF

Thanks for the pointers guys! The tree has pretty spongy bark and I've read that is usually associated with Elm. It would be a shame if it were American Elm, they're such beautiful trees. Whatever it is the trees have got to go. I'll worry the heck out of those stumps and hope for the best! Thank you all!
Stihl MS362
Stihl FS550
Stihl FS450
Stihl FS250
Stihl FS80
Stihl 026
Husky 555FX
John Deere Gator 825i
John Deere 4066M

Thank You Sponsors!