iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preferred Gun Sight for Turkey Hunting

Started by Ron Scott, May 05, 2017, 12:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

What's your preferred shotgun sight for turkey hunting, Bead, Scope, Red Dot glass, True Glow, etc.?
~Ron

Magicman

Red Dot.  That also raises the sight plane up so that it is not necessary to press your cheek against the stock.  You can shoot more "heads up".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

celliott

Boy guys I don't know. I got a red dot to try on my 535 for this season. Missed a bird this morning with it.... Not sure how much I like it. I'm so used to burying my cheek on the stock, it's hard to get used to the higher sight plane. I do like the twin red pipes, single green front pipe. Killed alot of turkeys with a plain old bead too.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Ron Scott

How did you sight it in? Do you have a choke on the 535?

I was thinking about putting one on my 500 Turkey but gun shop talked me out of it unless I go to a very expensive one such as Aim Point at $200.00 or more. I have been using a cheap glow bead sight with pretty good success but old eyes are getting dim especially at low light conditions. Missed a bird first morning at 8 yards on the move with it's head gyrating all over. Tight pattern at that range so don't know if another sight would have helped.
~Ron

celliott

Extra full choke on the 535, we sighted it in last weekend. Started at 15 yards with lighter loads to get it centered then moved back to 40 yards with my 3.5" loads. I was confident in the sighting in, I had plenty of time to draw a steady bead, 30 yards, that's what bothers me. Maybe I straight up missed, my fault, but the site is new and easy to blame ;)

The sight is a mueller quick shot, I think it was 80 bucks? Read good reviews online about it standing up to 3.5" turkey loads so I figured why not? I have a ruger 10/22 it'll go good on if I miss another!

Not surprised you missed a shot that close. Pattern must be rifle like at that range. Gotta be dead on or easy to miss!

I also passed up a shot at a tom 50 yard out yesterday morning. I was confident in my gun/load combo to kill a bird at that range, problem was he was surrounded by hens and I would have peppered them for sure. He didn't come closer so I passed. Another day.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Magicman

Tasco Red Dot for ~$50 or maybe even less.  Mine is a Red/Green and was not much more than that.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Scott

Don't you have to sight them in with a slug load first.
~Ron

Magicman

I didn't.  I shot paper, then moved the dot to the center of the pattern, just like you do with a rifle & scope.

celliott

Quote from: Magicman on May 06, 2017, 06:18:52 PM
I didn't.  I shot paper, then moved the dot to the center of the pattern, just like you do with a rifle & scope.

I did the same thing. Turkey loads and chokes have a tight enough pattern, you can center the sight on the pattern pretty well. I started at 15 yards, using lighter loads to get centered. I wasn't shooting a dozen full power 3.5" loads, no way  :o
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Chuck White

You can ruin a good, and expensive choke by firing slugs through it!   :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Scott

That's what I thought to though some "gun pros" told me that is what they do. I prefer to just use the regular shot method as previously stated.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!