iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trucker

Started by Peter Drouin, September 26, 2015, 08:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Talk to one today about some hemlock. He has been hauling for 3 weeks and did not tell me he was in a lot of it. I ask why. He said I have to pay him an extra $50.00 ber load to get it. And don't tell the logger about it.[the logger would know it was coming here] I'm paying good money to the loggers for it. And the logger pays him to truck it. He called it a finders fee. I call it extortion, What do you all think? ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

That's bologna I'd tell him to go poop in a hat!
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

Around here the truckers are suppose to have tickets on where the wood is going. That is to keep the loggers and truckers honest on what is going where.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mapleack

I'd call the logger direct, if you can afford to lose that trucker.
Norwood LM2000

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on September 26, 2015, 08:56:21 PM
Around here the truckers are suppose to have tickets on where the wood is going. That is to keep the loggers and truckers honest on what is going where.

I do I have every log on a slip with the species, size. length, and BF . I have a copy and ones goes with the check to the logger.
All is on the up and up here.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

kameljoe21

What does a load of wood cost, I have wondered what the price is of say pine or something of that sorts
or even what you order

Peter Drouin

Quote from: kameljoe21 on September 26, 2015, 09:41:51 PM
What does a load of wood cost, I have wondered what the price is of say pine or something of that sorts
or even what you order

W Pine, from .20 to .34 a BF, Hemlock .20 to .27 a BF. here 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

kameljoe21

so based on a 20k bf per semi load it would cost around 4k a load

thats 75% volume of a 40 foot trailer 8 foot wide 8 foot high

what is the avg of bf you get per load
and what is your bf out come from that load?

starmac

Kind of odd, is it a few miles farther to your place than where he is hauling the rest of it?

Here when I take logs to the sawmill, I get a scales ticket and leave one at the mill and give the other to the logger once every week or two, along with my invoice.
The pulp I haul to is on the honor system and I just write the weights down in a book supplied by the mill, every week or two the logger tells me to collect a check, so I turn in a page out of the book and they write him a check, before I do I have filled out an invoice with the weights in it, that he pays me off of. I just get paid by the load, so the weights actually mean nothing to me, I just do it so he can see what he got paid for.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

customsawyer

I think I would talk with the logger and see if he knows that his logger is trying to make extra on his loads. If the trucker is trying to pull this on you there isn't no telling what other tricks he is pulling. If I was the logger I would want to know if I had a trucker trying to scam my buyers.
When you are buying by the BF are you paying Doyle or International?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

47sawdust

Peter,
Not to hijack you thread,but I am having trouble finding someone to haul a load,4k,of hemlock for me here in Vermont.The ones I have talked to personally are too busy with excavation or firewood businesses to do it,and the rest have not returned my calls.I am talking about moving logs a distance of 5 loaded miles,easy access both ends.What do you pay for trucking to your mill.
Thanks,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: starmac on September 27, 2015, 02:38:36 AM
Kind of odd, is it a few miles farther to your place than where he is hauling the rest of it?

I'm only 10 miles away from the landing.

Quote from: customsawyer on September 27, 2015, 04:17:34 AM

When you are buying by the BF are you paying Doyle or International?

Int,

Quote from: 47sawdust on September 27, 2015, 06:24:00 AM
Peter,
What do you pay for trucking to your mill.
Thanks,Mick

.6 to .8 a BF

Quote from: kameljoe21 on September 26, 2015, 10:25:07 PM

This is around 4200 BF

This is around 6000 BF

The out come of BF is how good I am with my saw. ;D
I have use this trucker before. And not have to play a game.
Every one will know about his game with me, The timber and sawmill biz in NH is small and every one knows every one.

I'm finding new truckers all the time.
See when you have a business you want good people around you to work with.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Quote from: kameljoe21 on September 26, 2015, 10:25:07 PM
so based on a 20k bf per semi load it would cost around 4k a load

thats 75% volume of a 40 foot trailer 8 foot wide 8 foot high

No way they're putting 20mbf on!
Boy, back in my day..

dgdrls

Tell him   

"Thank-you,  I'll be certain to let all the local Loggers know you are acting as a Log Broker as well as a trucker"

I'm certain the Logger would be interested in a cut of that $50/Load fee.

Finders fee my backside

Dan

Dave Shepard

The trucker should only be getting his board foot or per load price. Around here it's about fifty or sixty dollars a thousand, more depending on distance. Others are just hourly. Ten miles is a nice haul. I think I'd tell the trucker to stick to the usual arrangement, or you'll find an honest trucker.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

kameljoe21

QuoteNo way they're putting 20mbf on!

I didnt say 20 million
I said 20k that thousands 20kk is million and 20kkk is billions

4x4American

Quote from: kameljoe21 on September 27, 2015, 03:06:34 PM
QuoteNo way they're putting 20mbf on!

I didnt say 20 million
I said 20k that thousands 20kk is million and 20kkk is billions

mbf = one thousand board feet
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Correct 4X4, almost.  Lumber uses the Roman numeral M = 1000.  Roman numerals did not go to one million thence MM is commonly used to indicate one million.  Note that the M is correctly capitalized thence 20Mbf.

k for metric kilo is not commonly used for lumber measurement.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gearbox

Do you have a loader to unload him . If not 50 bucks is cheap to unload a load of logs .  Sorry to be honest . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

thecfarm

Gearbox,I think the trucker unloads himself,as the guy who logs for me takes mine logs to the sawmill and the trucker unloads himself,without charging the sawmill $50.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

4x4American

Ahh well it's the internet, no one uses correct capitalization 100% of the time!  Try to but it doesn't always happen.  I'm using a kwim card for that one! 

(kwim = know what I mean, I think I just coined that one, too, which I believe qualifies me for FF bonus points!  ;D )
Boy, back in my day..

Percy

Quote from: Gearbox on September 27, 2015, 08:19:40 PM
Do you have a loader to unload him . If not 50 bucks is cheap to unload a load of logs .  Sorry to be honest . Gearbox
Quote from: thecfarm on September 27, 2015, 08:55:01 PM
Gearbox,I think the trucker unloads himself,as the guy who logs for me takes mine logs to the sawmill and the trucker unloads himself,without charging the sawmill $50.

I was a log hauler up here from 1977 to 2003. In 1985 I bought my own. For the most part, truckers are the same as anyone else but there is a significant percentage of them that cant see past the end of their noses. They drive too fast and unsafely, all the while bragging about how much better they are than the others. The same truckers feel like they are super business men and pull stuff off like this. The saving grace is, they almost never last as independant truckers because ....well, they aint that smart. Its a realatively easy business to get into compared to other self employed endeavours. On the other hand, a good honest dependable trucker is some one you want to have in your camp.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

beenthere

Quote from: 4x4American on September 28, 2015, 07:18:18 AM
Ahh well it's the internet, no one uses correct capitalization 100% of the time!  Try to but it doesn't always happen.  I'm using a kwim card for that one! 

(kwim = know what I mean, I think I just coined that one, too, which I believe qualifies me for FF bonus points!  ;D )

Sorry, been around for awhile... google has many hits for kwim    ;)
Will give you points anyhow....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

Saw him today, and gave him his 50. I think I can use him for awhile.  smiley_devilish :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

loggah

One of those trucks looked like prestons! ;D the one you could eat off the tires  !!!  ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Peter Drouin

Quote from: loggah on September 28, 2015, 07:09:07 PM
One of those trucks looked like prestons! ;D the one you could eat off the tires  !!!  ;D

Yeah, it is,  :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

starmac

I am confused by this, if you are buying the logs from the logger, and the logger is paying the trucker, why is the logger not telling him where to deliver the logs.

When I haul to the sawmill, or pellet mill the logger pays me,and tells me which to take each load to. Now when they sell to a home builder, private sawmill, or just individual the logger prices them the logs, and asks what I will charge to deliver, they can use me, or whoever they want.

I can buy all the logs I want from the loggers and resell them. Many truckers with self loaders do this, some all the time. I do not run a self loader, so basically only do it for myself or a friend or two.

snowshoveler

I guess things are different here.
I work on the loggers saws and pretty much every truck driver has at least 1 saw.
I just tell them what I am looking for and mention I have folding money.
I do well and so do they.
I usually just buy a tandem load and if its a real good deal the pup trailer too.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Peter Drouin

I did not know the logger or know the trucker was hauling hemlock. I called the trucker to see if he knew where some hemlock was cut. He gave me the loggers PH#
So I called the logger and made a deal. When the trucker got here he wanted a finders fee.
The logger payed the trucker to bring me logs.
It was only one load. I called the logger and told him how bad the logs where miss cut and If he can't do a better job cutting to keep them.
Just because you have a skidder and chainsaw, don't make you a logger.  ::)
I see guys who can't cut a straight log, I stay away from them. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

starmac

Ok That makes more sense.

Thank You Sponsors!