iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to rewind return spring?

Started by shinnlinger, September 25, 2015, 07:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

My 272 wouldn't retract the starter rope all the way and in another post it was recommended I check the spring.  It wasn't broken, but it had pulled off its mount.   

My first question is it worth messing with the old spring?   I had to rebend  the crook.  Is it junk?

Second, any tricks for rewinding the spring so I can fit it back in the rewind housing?

Thanks.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

sawguy21

I would suggest replacing the spring. It has been weakened by being bent straight then back into shape, it won't be long before it bends/breaks.
The new spring should be contained, drop it in then remove the retainer being careful not to let it get away on you. Install the pulley with the rope attached, pull up a loop through the notch then using that as a handle wind the spring as tight as it will go. Back off 1 turn, straighten the rope and gently release.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

snowshoveler

Yes...exactly as Sawguy said.
This will work for pretty much any rewind rope starter.
Sometimes its a good idea to clean all the crud and sawdust out of the housing.
This eventually chokes the spring enough that it wont pull the cord all the way back in.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

67L36Driver

Make a 'fenced in area' slighly smaller than the housing with roofing nails and a scrap of plywood.  Grip it with chain nose pliers and remove a few nails to free it.  Then drop it in the housing.

Rewind springs work best when clean and dry.

Over 40 old magnesium runners.  Plei Trapp Valley Duck!!! Club.

beenthere

You have two pics in your gallery, now just need to put one in your post.
Go to your post, click "modify" button.
Then below the post window, click the line that says "Click here to add Photos to post" and you will go to the upload window (which you already used twice). Don't use it again, but in the menu line you will find the "My Gallery" button. Click it, and your pics will come up. Click one and it will enlarge. At that time, scroll down a page or two and see where it says "Insert Image in Post" and click that. Answer "OK" and your pic will be where you want it... posted. Click the Preview button to confirm the post and descriptive words are the way you want them, then click Post.

That looks like a handy jig for winding starter springs.
Wonder about some pegboard and a handful of 1/4" cap screws would work like that ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kbeitz

All recoils that I fix by removeing the rope and putting in the pulley and winding it up.
Then I stuff the rope in the holes that I have lined up and tie the knot.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sablatnic

I normally just roll up the spring in my hand, and then insert it in the cover using a pair of long nosed pliers.

Thank You Sponsors!