iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crates

Started by Magicman, September 25, 2015, 06:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Two ladies asked me about building crates for flea market displays.  Crates?  Yup, they wanted them to look like crates.  I am out of the woodworking & building business but I thought about some leftover ½X6 Pine lumber that I sawed in 2005 that needed a home.  I used an orbital sander to smooth out the rough but leave the saw marks.  ERC edging would serve to secure the corners and give them the rustic look that they wanted.

Two 18X18 and four 12X18.  After I finished I thought about building them another 18X18 and a 12X18 "cash register" to sit on top. (seen on the right)

It would have a lockable door so that they can secure their valuables, and a solid top.  They were happy.   :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ozarker

21incher

Nice job. I bet you made those women very happy with your crates. Being made with well seasoned wood they should look good forever. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sandsawmill14

those are some nice looking crates  smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Bruno of NH

Looks great :)
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

kettlekorn

Pretty neat.  Simple and a great use for some lumber you had laying around.  Everyone could use some of these.
EZ Boardwalk Jr , Kubota L3800,  250 acre farm

sandhills

Sorry Magicman, you're not getting off the hook that easy, "out of the woodworking & building business", I followed far to many of your projects to know better  :).  I bet they were happy!  Very good work as usual.

lowpolyjoe

Great stuff.  thanks for sharing

LaneC

Those are some very fine crates. That cash register is spiffy :)
Man makes plans and God smiles

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Youre smuggling something.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mesquite buckeye

Pretty cool. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

hackberry jake

They will get offers to buy those crates and then you'll be commissioned to build dozens more. Crates were a top seller when we had a flea market booth. Sold every one I made.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

submarinesailor

Quote from: hackberry jake on September 30, 2015, 03:52:14 PM
They will get offers to buy those crates and then you'll be commissioned to build dozens more. Crates were a top seller when we had a flea market booth. Sold every one I made.

Poston would sell them for $300...............each. ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

Magicman

I modified the four 12X18's on top.  That wide gap got a 1" strip which worked nicely. 

The whole lot will be for sale to be picked up when the market is over.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cbla

WDH

You make a mean crate. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

I really like how you used an otherwise unless material (edging strips) and it looks great.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

clww

Simply spectacular! 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

They will set up for selling this evening and tomorrow.  I will go by and get some pictures.

hackberry jake

Quote from: Magicman on October 02, 2015, 08:24:46 AM
They will set up for selling this evening and tomorrow.  I will go by and get some pictures.
Better get there early.

Magicman

I gotta remember to take my camera.  They set up this evening to get the feel of things, and then broke it down for the night.  Early will come early tomorrow.  :o  Girly & Women things get me so excited.   ::)

LeeB

Kind of like going to Hobby Lobby, huh?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sandhills

Quote from: Magicman on September 30, 2015, 10:42:33 PM
I modified the four 12X18's on top.  That wide gap got a 1" strip which worked nicely. 

The whole lot will be for sale to be picked up when the market is over.  ;D
The crates will probably out sell anything they put in them  ;)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Well, the Crates helped do their job because I would consider that today was a success.  Especially for a new business venture.

I helped with the setup early this AM, as in 5:45.

Little signs, etc marking various prices.

Lovey's Place is open for business.

While the ladies were busy selling, I "had" to go and check out the car show, and there were many entries.

I found this 1981 DeLorean DMC-12.  The red tint is a reflection.  These cars were clad with brushed stainless steel.

Thank You Sponsors!