iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Round lifter - splitter attachment

Started by DMcCoy, September 25, 2015, 04:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

Was lifting a big round of wet maple onto the splitter and that old familiar twinge started in my lower back---Hey!  It's time to deal with this!  Contemplated several different approaches including a separate cylinder, valve and lift arms, but just couldn't get off my wallet.

So here is a 'attachment' that easily fits my Troy built.  I already built side tables and the whole ram set up is lifted 8".  I knew this had to be both easy to use and light weight or I wouldn't use it.  The missus suggested a storage table so I could lift a bunch all at one time vs. setting up for each piece.

A hook fits into the hole on top of the wedge attaching the cable to the ram, retracting the ram lifts the round(saving some $$$).

The whole thing is free standing on a short piece of 2x4.  The cable goes over a small pulley and is attached to a slider.  The slider has arms that stick out - and they could be a bit longer.

I have to hold the round to keep it balanced while lifting, easy enough to do.

Done!  I never knew a sore back could be so inspiring ::)

beenthere

Clever thought and build. Likely you will add some perfection to it over time and not have to hold the block while reaching for the control lever.  Don't think for second that you are done inventing on that one.
;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DMcCoy

Thanks beenthere.  If the arms stuck out a little longer then I think the rounds would balance hands free.  I have used it several times now and am really happy with it's lifting ability.  Super cheap to build!

DeerMeadowFarm

Tom L

r.man

Very nice idea. If I were to cut off the front of my I beam that acts as a tow bar and replace it with a recessed Reese type attachment I could swap tow bar/lift attachments as needed.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

DMcCoy

Thanks guys,
I really like it even though I have to set it up but its so easy.  I like it didn't cost $400.00 too.
r man
I think I can picture what you describe and yeah that should work really good.  The cable I used was from an old garage door 1/8" I think.  Rated @600+ lbs. 
Take post pictures -   ;)

beenthere

I like the idea r.man puts forward.  Will certainly pursue that one along with DMcCoy's for our splitter.

(albeit I now use a system of loading a pallet with blocks and setting that pallet up on blocks with the FEL forks for off-loading blocks to the splitter)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

r.man

I have been considering changing the orientation of my splitter, towing from the other end, but the ideal would probably be a reese style on each end.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

lopet

You can't build a deck for 400 bucks from scratch.  Good deal  smiley_thumbsup
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!