iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New mill in Michigan?

Started by Firewoodjoe, September 24, 2015, 09:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

I'm surprised nothing has been said on here about the latest news of Arauco putting in a partial board mill in grayling. Done by 2018. That should shake the pulp market up!

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

That is good. Use to be one in Lisbon here. I don't think they are there now. The way things are going here in Maine we could use one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodhauler

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on September 24, 2015, 09:16:13 PM
I'm surprised nothing has been said on here about the latest news of Arauco putting in a partial board mill in grayling. Done by 2018. That should shake the pulp market up!
Send them a thank you card!!!!!!!!!!!! Every ray of hope in this market is good!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Ron Scott

Yes, this was announced last week, but I like to see more evidence that it is going to really happen such as the biochemical wood using plant that was announced for the Kincheloe air base site in the eastern U.P.a few years ago but without much on line as yet. They still have to receive all the required permits, etc.
~Ron

Firewoodjoe

Rumor has it it passed, bought 600 acres in Crawford county. And then offered the state 1.5 billion up front for standing timber. The state declined. Thankfully! It's good but it's bad too. Stumpage will sky rocket dozens of logging company's will start up and I don't see where's that much more wood available. Yes we have it and yes we're just selling it weekly. But the largest press board mill in north America will chew a lot of wood.

Corley5

Weyerhauser already has an OSB mill in Grayling.  LP has one in Newberry.  DPI has something in Alpena.  There was a large hole left when GP pulled out of Gaylord ten years ago or so but we move wood.  LP has put producers on limited quotas as of late.  The guy I market my aspen and basswood pulp through sells to LP and he's only allowed 20 cords a week right now and some suppliers have been completely shut off.  We'll see how it plays out. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Firewoodjoe

I know it has slowed up. Between GP and the one in Muskegon years ago but we haul 200+ cord a week to PCA (paper mill) and yes they do slow down but it's been good. Last winter they had none, begging us to cut more and to not sell any firewood. I would love to see another mill and we do need one but it's going to be fierce competition!

lumbertick

I can't wait for it to go in... Yea stunpage will go up but it also means that price of pulp will go up at the mill.... The new mill plans in taking 75% pine and 25% dense hardwoods.. So it really isn't going to hurt weyerhauser.. As far as more producers starting up it like it always is they only last a few years at most... I think it's gonna be a good thing for most of us..

barbender

You can send them to northern MN if you don't have room for them ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Firewoodjoe

Ahh 25% hardwood I did not know. That won't be bad at all.

lumbertick

Dense hardwoods so like hard maple, beech, oak.... No soft maple... I talked with our forester from weyerhauser they don't sound like it's gonna hurt them at all... They don't like those species anyhow.

Gearbox

Barbender we can ship then train loads of pine pulp . well at least 20 cars a week . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

barbender

Rail cars are a pain in the butt for us. The RR doesn't deliver the cars when they say they will, but when they do, they need to be filled yesterday. Pine pulp is always a challenge, it seems.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!