iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

10' lumber in a 9' kiln

Started by hackberry jake, September 22, 2015, 09:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Sometimes you just have to make it fit.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

Nice stack, and still have room for stickers at the ends... ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

YellowHammer

That's the way to think "inside" the box. 8)
How much are each of those guys worth when they're done? 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

hackberry jake

These are mainly 2" thick white oak around 16" wide on average. And fairly air dried already. Around 18% moisture. I have no clue what they are worth. This is a customers lumber. He just wants me to kiln dry it and surface it on both faces. They will be countertops in his new house. If they were mine... Probably around $2 a bf. Or around $400 for the stack.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

DR_Buck

At an estimate of $400 for the whole stack, I'd hope for you that's not the kiln dried price?      The sizes you mentioned and looking at the stack, it appears to be somewhere slightly over 360 bf.    Just my drying price for that would be about $220 alone.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

kelLOGg

Jake,

Looks like the inside of my kiln. Even looks like my DH unit. Nice use of space. Does the unpainted plywood sides allow you to achieve low RH? I painted my interior with aluminum roofing paint to make an impervious surface but I really don't know how effective that was.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

hackberry jake

I still have plans on painting the interior with aluminum paint. And putting weather stripping around the doors, and building a kiln cart that rolls in and out. But I have lumber that needs dryer right now, so that stuff is getting pushed back.

logboy

"I don't ever plan on drying anything 20' long, so a 19' wide kiln should work fine." - Me, 2014
"I really wish I would have made this kiln a foot longer for these 20' white pine slabs." - Me, last night.

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

canadianwoodworks

Quote from: hackberry jake on September 25, 2015, 10:27:41 PM
I still have plans on painting the interior with aluminum paint. And putting weather stripping around the doors, and building a kiln cart that rolls in and out. But I have lumber that needs dryer right now, so that stuff is getting pushed back.

I did 2 cans of the RV aluminum paint inside my chamber, it made a huge difference in maintaining heat and RH more consistent.

mesquite buckeye

You could always put a doggie door and a little wood outhouse addition on on corner. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

kelLOGg

I detest painting because I find it so sedentary, so when it came time to paint the inside of the kiln I did it my way. I suited up with a gas mask, poured a few quarts of Al roofing paint on the floor, rolled it up the walls and ceiling working my way to the door. I never smelled it all. Now that's my kind of painting. Funny, I wonder why no one has ever asked me to help them paint their living room?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!