iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer grease fittings

Started by woodmills1, September 22, 2015, 06:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

I cannot seem to find a way to remove the grease fittings from my LT 70, are they threaded with no nut hex or are the pressed?  Thanks in advance.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

LaneC

I do not own one, however I recall a lot of discussion on this and I am pretty sure they are pressed in.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Chuck White

Some mills have pressed-in zerk fittings and some are threaded.

As mentioned, there has been quite a bit of discussion on this issue in the past, maybe a search will gain you more insight.

I remember the discussion, and several FF members said that they had removed the pressed-in fittings, drilled and tapped the hole and installed threaded zerks.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

If you got one thats not working maybe you need a grease hammer....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

goose63

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 22, 2015, 07:27:23 PM
If you got one thats not working maybe you need a grease hammer....

One of these
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

Mine are pressed in.  ATF in the zerk zapper usually will break hardened and clogged grease loose.

The key is to use a good red grease that will not harden.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

MartyParsons

Hello,
Most are pressed in, you can take a hammer and hit them on the side and break them off then drill out with 7/32 drill and tap to 1/4 28. There are two on the LT70 that are pressed into a harden pin on the back supports. I have not found an easy way to drill and tap them. Most times I remove the pin clean the grease and install a new press in fitting.
I have a grease repair tool but have had little luck making it work. I use a propane torch and put a little heat around the fitting and it starts to take grease.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

4x4American

Yup like everyone else said, most are pressed in.  You can try to pry them out with a claw hammer if you can get a bite, but good luck.  Prolly end up doing like Marty said. 

Best grease I've ever found is Schaffer's 238 moly supreme.  Not easy to pump in the colder winter months, though!  The stuff is very stringy on even the hottest days of summer.  Just some really good grease.  It's black.  They also have a red one, I think its called 229 Moly Ultra Red.  The color of any given grease doesn't make a difference. 
Boy, back in my day..

woodmills1

My first and only disappointment with the wonderful orange, guess it will be heat next.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

They will not clog if you grease regularly.  Note to self.....grease regularly.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bkaimwood

Gotta be careful with the "red" grease though...a lot of times, the "red" grease is good, high temp., high friction grease, and not cheap...but its not high pressure grease...so be careful, you need high pressure grease on most of your "high pressure" and load lube points...I didn't think of this earlier, which is some of the reason my fel bushings are garbage at 300 hrs...should have known better...
bk

bandmiller2

Beware of the sawyer with a rusty greasegun. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

4x4American

Quote from: bkaimwood on September 23, 2015, 08:26:53 PM
Gotta be careful with the "red" grease though...a lot of times, the "red" grease is good, high temp., high friction grease, and not cheap...but its not high pressure grease...so be careful, you need high pressure grease on most of your "high pressure" and load lube points...I didn't think of this earlier, which is some of the reason my fel bushings are garbage at 300 hrs...should have known better...

I'm tellin ya, Schaffer's 238 Moly Supreme, your FEL will love you. 
Boy, back in my day..

barbender

I used the Shaefer's for a while, we had trouble with it loosing prime in the grease guns due to air pockets. I think it is was just too thick. It was very good grease, but not so good I was willing to deal with that headache. I loathe greasing anyways, so any added problems cause me to put it off ;)  I will add, some of our Ponsse harvesters are running a grease bar lube setup rather than bar oil, and they are running the Schaefer grease in those. I have been using Mystic #2 synthetic grease on the forwarder, it pumps well and any time I have to remove a pin, it still has grease on it even if I am behind on greasing.
Too many irons in the fire

4x4American

Quote from: barbender on September 23, 2015, 11:35:13 PM
I used the Shaefer's for a while, we had trouble with it loosing prime in the grease guns due to air pockets. I think it is was just too thick. It was very good grease, but not so good I was willing to deal with that headache. I loathe greasing anyways, so any added problems cause me to put it off ;)  I will add, some of our Ponsse harvesters are running a grease bar lube setup rather than bar oil, and they are running the Schaefer grease in those. I have been using Mystic #2 synthetic grease on the forwarder, it pumps well and any time I have to remove a pin, it still has grease on it even if I am behind on greasing.

I don't have problems priming our guns, ever!  Best thing you can do before you screw the head on the grease gun is take the tin cap from the tube or your finger and smear the grease nice and smooth don't let any bubbles below it that will help it prime much faster.  Then screw it on halfway and pump a bit then screw it the rest of the way.  Or use the bleeder screw but I rarely do.  Also to keep your plunger in good condition, before you take out an empty grease tube unscrew the head about 3/4 of the way off, then pull the plunger.  I broke a junk Lincoln gun before I learned of this.
Boy, back in my day..

barbender

That Shaeffer's was the only grease that ever gave me problems, I have had guns that were problematic before, but this grease actually had dry pockets in it, as if it wasn't fully mixed. It was just a manufacturing defect. I'll say again, it is really good grease, that really lasts a long time. I used to do a lot of hard digging with skid steers on a asphalt paving prep crew, it was pretty evident what greases performed well. The pins on the skid steers are only 1" diameter for the most part, so they don't hold much grease. I used to grease 2 times a day in hard digging, the pins would be squawking by lunch time. The Schaeffer's would go all day.
Too many irons in the fire

4x4American

Do you use an electric, pneumatic, or hand pump?  I know what you mean about the pockets, it's so thick that they can and do form easily, but I rarely ever have a problem.  If someone filled a pool with that grease I bet I could walk right across the top of it on a summer day.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!