iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help processing pines into barn

Started by asm9296, September 21, 2015, 03:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm9296

I have 17 acres of 40 year old planted pine in SC. I want to harvest the pine by myself and build a barn. I am having a house built in the next few weeks (just waiting for the closing) and I need some preliminary help with the trees the construction company is removing. I managed to get them to agree to just push the trees over at the house site and leave them at the side of the work site. My question is how can I save these trees?  There are at least 30 of them in the footprint of the house. I don't have a mill or anything so I want to save them somehow so that I can mill them in about 6 months (when I will hopefully have some sort of mill, chainsaw??????).  They are beautifully tall, thick, and straight. I thought about just elevating them somehow, but am not sure what to do with the bark?  Can I just leave it on?  What about he lengths?  What about covering them?  I have so many questions. I just know I want to save these trees for lumber at a later date.

GAB

#1.  Welcome to the forum.
#2.  Hopefully someone who can express it better than me will come along and talk about blue stain, grubs and a few other particulars that are possibilities with pine.
Again WELCOME.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ljohnsaw

I am NOT an expert, but from what I have read here:

Cut them to length - if you think you need 10' goods, cut them to 10'-6" or 11' to account for end check.
Pile them up off the ground (rail road ties?)
Coat the ends with sealer
Spray them with Timbor or Borax solution to keep bugs away

I've read here the pushing the trees over may damage (split internally) the wood.  If they can up-root the tree with a backhoe, then there would be much less stress knocking them over.

Good luck!
and welcome aboard.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

47sawdust

As I read your description it sounds like the trees are going to be pushed over and piled at the edge of your house site.To me that sounds like trouble.If the trees aren't limbed,cut to some workable log length,and stacked in an orderly manner someone is going to have a lot or work to sort it out.
In Vermont the pine will blue stain quickly which is mostly a cosmetic problem.If left over the winter the powder post beetles will begin their work.You may consider hiring someone to mill the logs for you.There is a lot to this business of sawing and it helps if you can ease in to it.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

woodmills1

draw up your cut list, then cut the logs to the length you need.  It would be nice ifin you can get them off the ground but don't worry it will be ok ifin you don't.  Once there is time hire some one like me, majicman,  or many others here who will cut your needed lumber.   It will be blue stained and maybe have worm holes but that won't really bother the strength, and it will give the building character.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Gadrock

I cut 30 trees in about 6 minutes. Their value is in reality very little, until you personally put a saw into it. Do not go out and purchase a saw for this project!

Let someone take those trees to haul away and feel like you gave away the best part of your life. when you get ready to use a mill and take an active part in the milling process get the best info and best tools you can afford. Learn their use completely. This can be a dangerous and tough business.

I wish you the best on your project, and your good health. many peeps are not cut out for this business.

A travelling sawyer could offer you a different option. Do not under estimate the usage of end loaders, sheds, fans, stickers, et al.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

kensfarm

Maybe a portable sawyer that would work on shares..  you can always ask. 

asm9296

I guess my questions now are what is the best way to store these trees?  I know to cut to manageable lengths and elevate, but what about the bark?  Should I take it off to store?

2StateTrigger

Quote from: ljohnsaw on September 21, 2015, 05:32:16 PM
I am NOT an expert, but from what I have read here:

Cut them to length - if you think you need 10' goods, cut them to 10'-6" or 11' to account for end check.
Pile them up off the ground (rail road ties?)
Coat the ends with sealer
Spray them with Timbor or Borax solution to keep bugs away

I've read here the pushing the trees over may damage (split internally) the wood.  If they can up-root the tree with a backhoe, then there would be much less stress knocking them over.

Good luck!
and welcome aboard.

One more step in the process to save the tree....De-bark the trees or you'll likely run into premature rotting....

You may want to put some type of cover over it as well to help keep precipitation off of it.  Maybe an uncut sheet of plywood with a small drilled hole in each corner for tie-downs.  Then with some help just place the plywood on top of the pile, take some paracord (or other rope) and cut yourself some equal lengths of the paracord, tie each corner with the paracord and then stake the cord into the ground so as to stabilize the plywood on top of the pile so it wont slip off the pile.....A tarp might work even better with the same type of tie-offs.....

Good luck with whatever you decide....
Molon Labe

Thank You Sponsors!