iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

s & w sawmill

Started by sandsawmill14, September 19, 2015, 10:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

we just bought a s&w bandmill 30 hp electric hope to get it delivered and set up saturday 8)

anyone have any experience with one ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

dgdrls

Congratulations on the new mill

found this digging a bit in the search tool

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=48462.0

Pictures when she's up and running

Best
Dan

thecfarm

Expanding the business,getting bigger?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandsawmill14

this is the only decent pic i have of the mill now but i will get some better pics when we get it home. thats me standing on mill bed for size ref. its a big mill compared to the b20.
cfarm trying to get faster i still have logs waiting from jan so maybe this will help us keep up

drobertson

Looks like a hawg! I think you are correct in thinking "this will help" surely cant' hurt ;D   Happy for you!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandsawmill14

thanks drobertson it seems pretty fast the guy was running 1 1/4 .042  blades on it when we tried it and we cut 6 12-14" logs in about 30 min and was out of the cab between every log with him showing/explaining stuff on the mill. i am gonna try 1 1/2 .055 blades and see if they are worth the extra $ it will run up to 2" bands i think so i wont know what blade i will settle on till i run it a while.  it also came with a catclaw sharpener and manual setter so we now have 2 catclaw sharpeners and i dont even reshapen blades :D :D :D

Larry

They must have made different models as that doesn't look like the S&W I've seen.  The one I saw had 50 horsepower and ran bigger bands.

Still you might want to add a few big boys to clear the mill of lumber.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

4x4American

Wow, you sure are one ugly son of a buck!  :D :D :D I'm just kidding...

sweet mill, that thing is big.  So are you going to set it up inside at the mill you're currently sawing for?  I would imagine you'll wanna keep it under cover.  Do they mind plumbing you in to their electric?  Are you going to keep the B20 there as well?

Congrats!
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

larry  this is a model 125

4x4 bat_smailey i aint gettin no prettier (or younger) :D :D :D
it will be on the same yard im at now but we are going to have to build a shed far as the timberking we are going to keep it but hope not to have to run it until next spring
besides everyone needs 3 mills smal medium and large :D :D ???
the electric is no problem already have line within 30' or so of where the mill will be set up

ladylake

A 30 hp electric should be about the same as a 60hp gas, you won't have any shortage of power,  I'd sure try 1-1/2 to 2" blades to make use of that power if they run long enough before breaking.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sandsawmill14

ladylake  i dont remember now if it has the 30" or 36" bandwheels but im hoping that the large diameter will let me run the .055 bands without breaking the bands

ladylake

Looks like that mill has plenty of height , how far between the guide rollers and the post.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

4x4American

You landed a good job when you got that one!  I'm excited to see how your sawmill shed comes out.
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

steve i didnt measure but i think he said it would cut 26" wide boards,about 40"between the post ( if i remember right) ;D and the max on the height for top cut is 32" so it will handle a pretty big log. thats my biggest complaint on the b20 is having to resaw the first 2 6" thick slabs because it wont raise up high enough. BUT i do love that timberking b20 its not going anywhere.  :)

dont anyone think i am unhappy or unsatisfied with the tk b20 its a great mill but about 2000bdft a day is all i can average with it and that just wont keep up. that is a 6 month average not a few days i have had weeks when cutting gum where it would go well over 3000bdft per day but long term is what matters. we just have so many logs i am having to go to a more industrial type mill instead of portable type :D

sandsawmill14

4x4 the shed will be a little while like over the winter when the logs slow down. i dont like it being in the weather but all the controls are in the cab so it wont be as bad. i will just have to keep it covered till we get shed up :)

4x4American

Might wanna keep that electric motor covered.  Do you saw in the rain?
Boy, back in my day..

thecfarm

That will saw those big ones!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandsawmill14

4x4  depends on how much rain :)

cfarm  i hope so i sorted the white oak logs today and have 15 over 36" and 3 over 40" i hope i can just trim the biggest ones a little instead of having to split them

got the spot mostly cleared off where im gonna set it hope to get gravel done tomorrow then i think i will be ready for mill  ;D

4x4American

I hear ya, I don't saw if there's too much rain either.  Once I get a place to setup my mill at and I can get it under cover it'll be awesome to be able to saw through the weather. 

Looking forward too seeing this thing spit sawdust!  Does it have a dragback or other bells?  Computer or scale?
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

it does have drag back and scale it has auto setworks but not really computer setworks

4x4American

Did ya get her did today?
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

no not today im going friday to take headrig and cab off and have it ready to load on flatbed sat morning. its 11' tall so he cant haul it with headrig on. then load the log deck and conveyor on my trailer and head home.  at least if all goes as planned ;D

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

redprospector

If you decide to thin out your collection of Cats Claw's let me know.  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: redprospector on September 24, 2015, 01:07:00 AM
If you decide to thin out your collection of Cats Claw's let me know.  ;D

i will give you first shot at it if we decide to sell one. i am gonna try to resharpen these .055 blades and see if i can get it to work.  ???

Thank You Sponsors!