iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ms362

Started by addicted, September 19, 2015, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addicted

Anyone have any comments about the ms362? I use an 026 pro and the 201 with good results. I was curious about the new carb i.e. reliability and the power to weight.
Thanks
Rusty

4x4American

We're getting one here at work this week I believe.  I'll let ya know how it goes, but can't help you on the longterm part of it. 
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

Happy with mine so far.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

skipster

mines ok,but my old 044 outcuts it, and is better balanced.
the 362 is a little underpowered IMHO, but it starts well,and seems to run ok.
make sure you grease the clutch bearing before using,the dealers dont tell you they are shipped dry.

PASS_AUF

I've had a 362 for a couple years now and I think its a nice all around saw. Mine pulls through virgin growth oak nicely with a 20, but bogs a bit with a 24. At a glance the air filtration system in the 362 C-M appears to be superior.
Stihl MS362
Stihl FS550
Stihl FS450
Stihl FS250
Stihl FS80
Stihl 026
Husky 555FX
John Deere Gator 825i
John Deere 4066M

SawTroll

Too clumcy really, for a 60cc saw - but there are worse ones out there...
Information collector.

nitehawk55

Pay no attention to SawTroll , he hates Stihl :D

I've got a 261C and 441C and both have been great and anything in reviews I've seen to do with the 362 has been mostly good . I would not be concerned with buying one but I already have a couple 60cc Husky saws .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

SawTroll

Quote from: nitehawk55 on September 26, 2015, 08:53:46 PM

No, I only "hate" the badly designed ones, as I do with any brand.

I love the MS361, but that's a totally different design - lighter, neater and "peppier".
Information collector.

4x4American

Quote from: SawTroll on September 26, 2015, 10:25:26 PM
Quote from: nitehawk55 on September 26, 2015, 08:53:46 PM

No, I only "hate" the badly designed ones, as I do with any brand.

I love the MS361, but that's a totally different design - lighter, neater and "peppier".

I can't believe I'm seeing Niko say he loves a Stihl!!!
Boy, back in my day..

49er

Quote from: skipster on September 20, 2015, 05:40:20 AM
mines ok,but my old 044 outcuts it, and is better balanced.
the 362 is a little underpowered IMHO, but it starts well,and seems to run ok.
make sure you grease the clutch bearing before using,the dealers dont tell you they are shipped dry.
Do ya think the dealers know the bearing is dry?
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

skipster

yep.
their answer to my query about this was " the bearing is lubricated in the factory,and doesnt need any further grease before using.
I've seen 4 brand new saws now,with totally dry clutch bearings.
One had done about 8 hours work,and you could see wear on the shaft already.

Texas-Jim

That dry bearing isn't dry from the factory. In reality it needs very little grease. When using the saw once the clutch engages that bearing doesn't turn, its locked in place. The only time it is being used is at idle when chain isn't engaged. So a 1000 hours of use at WOT would wear it none at all. Lot of people let them idle a lot and that could wear it over time. You really shouldn't let any saw or two stroke engine idle much, it builds up carbon.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

4x4American

Not sure I follow how does it not turn at all at wot?  It makes sense to me that it doesn't, because it's a chintzy little bearing and if it was turning at wot that thing wouldn't last long at all.  Just curious on the mechanics of it.
Boy, back in my day..

49er

Quote from: 4x4American on September 28, 2015, 07:41:22 AM
Not sure I follow how does it not turn at all at wot?  It makes sense to me that it doesn't, because it's a chintzy little bearing and if it was turning at wot that thing wouldn't last long at all.  Just curious on the mechanics of it.
I never thought about it before but Texas is wright. Once the clutch locks up the crank and the clutch turn at the same rpm. If it didn't that bearing would need a lot more lubrication to survive.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

Texas-Jim

Well if it didnt lock up that bearing might last half an hour at best. 4x4 if you look at any chainsaw clutch you can spin clutch by hand. But when you give it throttle the clutch shoes expand and grab the clutch housing. At that point the clutch turns at what ever speed the saw is running. The bearing never spins again till the clutch shoes release.

ladylake

One of the hardest things on that bearing is to start a saw on fast idle with the chain brake on and leave it on fast idle too long, then it has the chain and clutch pulling hard on that bearing.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

nitehawk55

Stihl felt that grease draws dirt which is a whole other problem .
I AM NOT BRAND LOYAL !

Texas-Jim

Hawk thats actually a very good point, it often surprises me that any saw can last for years. They live in an incredibly hostile environment. I try to get point across to my customers to keep their saw sharp. Dull means a lot more fine dust to get every where. But some people wont listen.

4x4American

Ahhh I get it now, never really thought about it thanks boys.
Boy, back in my day..

HolmenTree

Yes fine sawdust brings fine sand and dirt grit along with it.
But a sharp chip making chain will still bring in grit.

Like the bar's sprocket nose you grease it every tank full to purge out the moisture and dirt or don't  do it at all to prevent the grease from attracting dirt.
I only greased the nose daily on in the winter to prevent melted snow from freezing at the end of the day. Didn't  bother with the clutch bearing.

My experience I only put a light film of grease on the drum bearing with my finger whenever I change the sprocket rim.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

woodsdog2015

I just picked up an MS362 with a 20" bar and I'm curious about the greasing recommendations discussed in this thread. What's the recommendation then?  Does the clutch bearing and the bar nose sprocket need to be greased?  I'm not even sure my bar has the inlet hole to add grease to the bar nose sprocket.  I'm going to check it when I get home.  I've read the OM and do not see anything about greasing anything in that.  Also, what does "WOT" mean?
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

beenthere

WOT

Wide Open Throttle

Nose sprocket doesn't need grease. Clutch bearing... very little when changing chain.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

I would say grease the clutch bearing when you change the rim sprocket not every time you change the chain.  That'll end up with too much grease on it imo.
Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

I didn't make myself clear.. but meant to do the grease the FIRST time the chain was changed on a new saw.

I agree, every time would be too much. And just a very thin film of grease too.
south central Wisconsin

woodsdog2015

Ok thanks for the clarification!!!
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Thank You Sponsors!