iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Mystery Wood

Started by Magicman, September 19, 2015, 09:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Those that attended the Pig Roast will remember that this species is native to every state except probably Hawaii (??) plus all of the Canadian Provinces.  I sawed 6-8 small logs today and the heartwood was incredible.

Book matched boards from the pith area.

It was prettier away from the pith and the color was much richer.

What say you??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

If no takers, I have a bark picture.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Quote from: Magicman on September 19, 2015, 09:31:09 PM
Those that attended the Pig Roast will remember that this species is native to every state except probably Hawaii (??) plus all of the Canadian Provinces. 

That's interesting.
Hickory?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

Caveman

Left Coast Chris

Hmm....... the growth rings are far apart and the sawn surface almost looks like a soft wood.   The little bit of bark you can see looks pretty stringy and redish. 

Not a pine.  Not a cedar.   I want to say poplar or cottonwood but the bark and heartwood is not right.   

Is it a soft wood in unusual soil or growing conditions?    Is it a hardwood that has gotten fertilizer as a yard tree?     Is it dead beatle kill soft wood that has blued (pine)?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Brad_bb

I'd say Elm, but around here it's not usually that dark and chocholaty.  It's usually more the color of a chestnut horse, what they call chestnut.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

4x4American

I'd like to see the bark picture!
Boy, back in my day..

Ljohnsaw

English Walnut as opposed to Black?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

The logs were from fresh felled healthy trees.

That should do it.  Both of these logs are the same species.  Some bark is more stringy than others, and some have a more dark chocolate heartwood than others.  It is a "hardwood" but the wood is soft.  ;)

sandsawmill14

i dont know what it is but i had 2 logs that looked alot like it in the mixed wood this week ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

bucknwfl

If it was easy everybody would be doing it

bucknwfl

Thanks spell check    I mean Poplar.
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

grweldon

I says "Sweet Gum"!   Worth a shot anyway!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Magicman

No correct guesses yet.   :)

MT logger

Magicman

Banjo picker

Some type of willow.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gfadvm

Looks a LOT like my Aus trees.

purple otter

Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

Magicman

Banjo picker

Good deal.  That just proves the statement without a doubt.  A blind hog gets an acorn ever once in a while.   ;D  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!