iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hay hauling time in Mississippi

Started by Banjo picker, September 19, 2015, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

I spent most of today rounding up hay.   

I hauled two loads of this hay.  After I got that all home and put where I wanted it....another man I get hay from called.  I was glad I hadn't unhooked the truck from the trailer.  I had to carry my tractor over there and load it myself...bring the hay home, and then get Deb to take me back over there and drive the tractor home.  The 2500 is not 4 wheel drive so I have to park at the bottom of the drive and unload the hay there...Not too bad taking them up 2 at a time.   

Those last bales I loaded myself are a lot bigger than the others. The dodge had all it wanted.   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Grizzly

I'm not acquainted with your seasons there but would this be second cut? Seems late for first cut to be coming off? We are usually working on first cut here in late June and only get second cut if the weather really favours us. I'm a thinkin that spring comes much earlier there than my somewhat north location. :)   We'll be hauling straw bales just as soon as the weather allows, but we gotta get it done before snow flies.

Anyone know why I can't get the emoticons to insert? In my language I have to use grins and laughs to make my words understandable. The smiley shows up cuz I used the colon and parentheses but I can't just click on them.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

beenthere

Getting third cut hay here in WI this time of year. And looking good too.

Might be 4th cut in MS ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chevytaHOE5674

I envy you guys that live places you can get a 2nd,3rd and even 4th cutting of hay. Finished up our first/only cutting in August and had it all stacked in the barn or under tarps the same day it was baled. I did clean/grease up the hay equipment and packed it away for the winter today though. ha

trapper

Renter got 4 crops off my land.  Goes to a large dairy farmer and they cut every 30 days.  Interesting to watch the custom  harvesters come in with their big equipment.  Do in an hour what it took a week to do when I was a kid.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

timberlinetree

Those are some nice loads! Did you hear round bales are illegal to feed to cows! They don't get a square meal :D. Only 2 cuttings here.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

sandhills

Nice loads Banjo, I bought a flatbed for our semi to haul it on last spring, man I hate it, just as well tear the mirrors off!  I'm used to pulling a grain trailer or a cattle pot (farmer, not a trucker), you can't see anything behind you with hay on.  I'll bet that was a workout for the Dodge.

Billbob

There is nothing like the smell of fresh baled hay!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Banjo picker

That was the second cutting for both of those fields.  If the first had been done a couple of weeks earlier, there would be at least a third, but not so sure as this is Bahia grass which is a warm weather grass.  You can see in the pict. with my tractor in it that the grass has already grown several inches since the second cutting there might still be a third cutting if the hot weather persists, which I hope it don't.  When I was a youngster dad planted a field of coastal Bermuda grass and he would get a cutting every 30 days or so on it.  You are right about not being able to see out the mirrors, although its not as bad as it use to be, as most haybaylers bought new around here only make a 4 ft. wide bale.  I have bought hay that was 5 ft wide.  That really blocks your view.  And yes the dodge was loaded,  the 14 4 x 5s were a bigger load than a load of 17 4 x 4s .   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

sandsawmill14

hay haulin time here to but i think i like banjos way better :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Banjo picker

I remember that all too well. At least you have a trailer that is only a couple feet off the ground.  One of the biggest mistakes I ever made as a boy was when I showed Dad that I could lift one bale and put it on top of the other.... No more driving the truck between the rows for me...now I am on the back of the truck stacking hay.  We had an old Chevy flatbed, an Dad would put it in double low as he called it and all I had to do was turn the steering wheel.  Not near as much fun when you grow up enough to make a stacker.  The coastal Bermuda was so slippery, for lack of a better word,that if you handled it a little rough the bale would fly apart, and the sericea lespedeza would jab holes in your arms from the stems....No one that I know of bales it any more... it was good hay to take to the crusher and mix with corn and cotton seed to make sweet feed for the cows.  I only get enough of the small bales to take trail riding.  Banjo

sandsawmill14

we only put up about 2000-2500 square bales a year the rest is round bales. we rolled about 200 rolls this year so far but we still like 15-20 acres being finished for the year.we have an old big roll baler so our bales are 5'x6'. my old 285 massey has a hard time with them if we get much snow but that dont happen very often. that pic was the first load last of the square bales for the year we only had about 550 bales this cutting and got 150 of that up yesterday so it wasnt to bad :)

justallan1

We generally put up right at 5,000 big round bales every year, this year, not so much. The boss cut maybe a 100 bales before giving up, one swather never got brought out of the machine shed and I brought mine out just long enough to service it up and change a few sections and guards and put it away. There just wasn't anything to cut.
I enjoy the heck out of haying season because on the ranch that I work for they give us a haying bonus, I think this year I might have to pay them. :o I push the guys that need it pretty hard, but they aren't griping when they see their checks. :D
On a good note though I had plenty of time to put a hydra-bed on my new ranch truck, I got some much needed braces and gates built, had time to put in a handful of frost free spigots and fire season consisted of only a handful of fires that we could get put out pretty easy.
So other than what the owners will be out on hay, I'd say it was a productive year anyhow.
We start shipping calves and preg testing tomorrow.

Gadrock

I grew up farming with our family. We too did hay but in square bales which are really rectangular. Go figure. 45 years ago we used to say our bales weighed 50 pounds. I thought they weighed 99. When the end of the hay season came we put up about 50,000 bales..all by hand labor. Things have changed for the better.
     Now days only horse people use square bales. Now that is a strange statement: HORSE PEOPLE. My grand kids would laugh endlessly at that one. The farm was 3300 acres. Dad had 350 pure bred cattle and my bro and I had 815. 
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

sandsawmill14

banjo we still put up about 2-300 bales of sericea and do as you said only we run it through the hammermill and mix with corn and soybean meal or cottonseed meal. sometimes we will add a bag of dry molasses if we are going to town anyway if not we just leave it out ;D

WV Sawmiller

I only us 100-150 bales a year now so nothing on the scale y'all are doing. I can run out and get a couple loads in my 5X8 trailer and back of my pick up and not worry about stacking so high and so tight in the fields. We pick it up in the field and my best friend is my electric powered hay elevator that lifts it from the trailer to the loft of my barn. Does all the hard part of stacking in the barn.

We're vacationing in Montana right now and I have never seen so many big round bales of hay. We meet TT loads of it on the highways all the time. I guess they are taking it to big feedlots or shipping it elsewhere to sell. Its a huge business out/up here.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

scsmith42

Last week was fall hay harvest here on the farm.   

Here is a shot of me mowing: 

And here is a photo of the end result:   

We had a good yield.  One 7 acre pasture yielded 45 bales of rye in the spring and another 45 bales of field grass in the fall.  All equestrian quality.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LaneC

That is some very pretty grass/hay.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Woodhauler

that  is a lot easyier then when we did it! small square bales, they had to be put in the barn same day! Gramp wouldn't let them get wet or set in the field overnite!!!  Cut wood till 2 or so then go put 500 bales in the barn! We put 10,000 bales in! Some days we put 1000 bales in the barn!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

sandhills

We had a Allis Chelmers little round baler when I grew up, we hauled it home in 2 wagons at a time behind a 4010 JD, if memory serves correct we could get 125 bales in each wagon and made 3 trips a day, everyday.  I like the big ones a lot better too!

Don_Papenburg

When I was a kid my dad chopped the hay ,blew it into open top forage boxes then we blew it into the barn . No twine ,knotters , or sore backs .  It only took two people to put up hay .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on September 22, 2015, 11:09:50 PM
When I was a kid my dad chopped the hay ,blew it into open top forage boxes then we blew it into the barn . No twine ,knotters , or sore backs .  It only took two people to put up hay .

sounds like my kind of hay hauling  ;)  how did yall feed it with pitchfork  ???

beenthere

My Uncle put up hay that way, and it was some major hay dust. But less actual sweat labor. Pitched it down to the cows in one big billowing dust storm.
I had hay fever as a kid, until I finally found a job away from the hay and oat dust.

Today's machinery and methods for hay are a far cry from yesteryear.
My first hay experience was when 9 years old and driving a tractor on horse equipment to rack up loose hay onto a wagon where the farmer mowed it around to stay put while pulling the load to the barn. Then on the tractor to pull the rope to haul up the hay into the big barn. Tried to get me in the barn to mow that loose hay back but the hay fever wouldn't let me breathe up there. Liked the work, but couldn't take the hay dust.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Banjo picker

Its that time of year again.  This come off the second cutting.  First test of the rebuilt 99.  Banjo

Thank You Sponsors!