iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can't buy Logs in Dekalb Co TN

Started by just_sawing, September 18, 2015, 08:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

We have decided to go in to the tie business on an established Mill operation and can't find any logs. It really surprised me because we are paying better than any where around. With the economy loggers have quit and I really surprised at the lack of loggers anymore.
We will work it out and I figure all will be good but this did surprise me.
In this area mixed logs are selling for 45 cents and I am offering 47 for all I can get.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Banjo picker

When i was cutting ties one problem i had was most loggers here want to sell wood by the ton.  Certified scales cost more than i was willing to pay.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ron Scott

Yes, It is getting much harder to find loggers willing to work in a timely manner.
~Ron

starmac

Quote from: Banjo picker on September 18, 2015, 08:35:30 AM
When i was cutting ties one problem i had was most loggers here want to sell wood by the ton.  Certified scales cost more than i was willing to pay.  Banjo

Curiosity here, are you talking about installing and maintaining your own scales.
I haul logs to two primary places, one has there own scales, not sure how certified they are as they are 3,000 pounds off, both loaded and empty. I have checked them with other scales including the dots. It really doesn't matter the load comes out the same.
The mill itself doesn't have their own scales, but there is two places in town that we can weigh, basically on the way, so not a problem there either.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

treeslayer2003

we lost four or five small loggers here in the last couple years......my phone seems to ring weekly now, i can't even keep up with cruiseing.

why don't you measure instead of buy by weight? i would rather sell by measure.
are buying tree length for that price? the price sounds very good. my prices have dropped some over the summer for saw timber, they say pallet stock is backing up and they can't get rid of side cuts.

Banjo picker

Starmac i was referring to putting in my own.  Locally there are only two scales....one at the way station manned by dot cops, not many loggers want to get paper work from them.  The other set is at a large mill.  They are not gona weigh someone,give them the tickets and then let them go to another mill to sell the wood.  If they (loggers)  want to sell by weigh, the mill with the scales is where they will go.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!