iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

9000 hours on the LT70

Started by Percy, September 17, 2015, 11:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

I took delivery of my LT70 in April of 2003. Sometime early in the morning tommorow, the hour meter will click over to 9000 hours.

9000 divided by 12 years = 750 hours per year or 62.5 hours per month. Considering it has been my sole income source since purchase(cept for playing guitar in a weekend warrior type band  ;D), it has served me quite well. Im  soon to be 61 and I think I will wear out before the mill does. I've done several mods over the years,(debarker actuator system, hydralics anywhere, lubemizer conversion to diesel, etc) and while some may disagree with my choices, these mods were made specifically for my applications which, like every one, is differnt than anybody elses.

My mill came with the Kubota 42 hp. I had to replace the front crank seal on the engine at about 8000 hours and perhaps 3 starters as the sawdust gets in them and messes up the contacts in the solonoid. Other than that, the motor has been flawless. I have rebuilt the hydraulic motors once and then replaced the motors. Im probably due to rebuild these soon. Every cam bearing has been replace atleast once including the big ones. Brushes on all motors just recently. Ive never had to replace a drum switch(touch wood)as everything is relays on my remote mill. Up down chain and feed chains are original(lubed every day). The drive belt pulleys(big and small had to be replaced at about 8200 hours. They simply wore out and the belt would slip no matter how carefully I adjusted it. The belt was bottoming out on the grooves. The up/down gearbox calved at around the same time the belt pulleys wore out.

Considering some of the stupid things myself and a few other "operators" have done to this mill, I gotta say it is tougher than a hobo's life story.

The paint dont look 12 years old. Just always had it under a roof

An absolutly clear free of heart Western Red Cedar 12x12. (just braggin  ;D)

The sawdust hits the wall and slides down to a belt conveyor under the mill which brings the sawdust to a bin. Note the angled floor under the mill to send debris to the same conveyorbelt which make clean up a breeze with the leaf blower

All this stuff is basically old man toys. I work hard but pretty much retired back in 2003 when I bought this mill.....Absolutly no  regrets.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

customdave

That's Awesome, hope you enjoy the next 9000 hrs

Play Safe...Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

4x4American

Really like your setup.  I'm glad to hear that she's made it 9000 hours without anything major (knock on wood)
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

That is certainly a milestone.  Congratulations are in order.   smiley_thumbsup  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Congrats on a very successful run.  I believe this is a good testimony to good maintenance, and a good machine. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pineywoods

I wonder about high time mills. Just how many they are capable of.. I know of a few with 8000 plus. Mine (lt40) is about to top 8000 and still going strong. New motor at 6000, a few bearings and belts, but most everything else original..I heard of one with 14000 hrs, but that's hearsay...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

My thoughts are that by keeping up with the simple maintenance items there would be no actual "drop dead" time limit.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AnthonyW

Congrats on the milestone. I was psyched to 100 hours (my use of an old mill with ??? hours as it has no hour meter). I look forward to the picture when you hit 10,000 hours!  :D
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

78NHTFY

Congratulations and a great story to boot!  Lived the life and made a living.  Like your set up too.  All the best, Rob. 
If you have time, you win....

stihltoomany

Nice to hear they last that long. I just bought a LT 40 super 2003 with just 80 hours. What a contrast. Great setup you have.
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

Magicman

I am the second owner of my '98 LT40 Super.  For various reasons, it is on it's third hour meter, third engine, and third million board feet.  It also has well over 10,000 hours under it's belt.

That means that if it averaged $200 per thousand bf sawed, it is closing in on grossing ½ million $$$ in it's lifetime and it's still kicking.  ;D   :D

GDinMaine

A friend has an an 1997 Lt-40 that has 13,000+ hours and working daily.  The original Lombardini engine blew at 2k hrs, but it has been going strong with a Kubota 42HP for the past 11k.  Many-many other parts have been replaced too. 
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

sawguy21

You guys are certainly getting good service from your equipment.  8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

cutterboy

Percy, I love your sawdust system. Smart thinking.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Percy

Thanks for the comments. My sawdust system needs a little tweeking still but is promising...heh.

This summer I removed the axle and permanently mounted the mill to a steel/cement structure. Im counting on the mill lasting for quite a while longer ;D ;D

Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

kensfarm

Nice mill shed.. and wow.. that's a lot of hours.. congrats.  What do you mostly cut.. I see a lot of pine in the background.

When it turns over to all zero's.. you can sell it as new!   ;D   

Percy

THe reason for the height is for the sawdust removal sytem/conveyor. I couldnt put it in the ground as it would fill up with water. WE get serious rain here.

Also, the altitude majes for larger accumulations of boards, slabs, (sawdust under edger falls in a bin).

Right now, it still needs to be finished. I have done some cutting to see how its all gonna work. Tweeking necessary on a few fronts.(sawdust leaking and edger needs to be moved about 8 feet)

When Im done, all the drive chains on th rollcasae will be covered of course by the paneling that covers everything but the top of the rollers. Sections of this paneling will be air activated to flip boards off either at the edger or two other locations making pre sorting of boards easy. THe slabs go strait to the end of rollcase and fall off  the side in a pile.  Im hoping to make a fairly high production one man mill....  ;D

Magicman

As my Dad would have said; "It's good to know, but it's better to understand".  Thanks. 

4x4American

I am digging your setup!  Would love to get a video tour once it's complete!  (maybe even with some sawdust flying)  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

Percy

Quote from: Magicman on September 24, 2015, 02:04:41 PM
As my Dad would have said; "It's good to know, but it's better to understand".  Thanks.
your dad sounds smart. ;D

Percy

Quote from: 4x4American on September 24, 2015, 05:20:27 PM
I am digging your setup!  Would love to get a video tour once it's complete!  (maybe even with some sawdust flying)  ;D
thanks. I tried to make one but the noise was drowning out my yapping. I'll work on that soon. 😄😄

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Thank You Sponsors!